DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the scoop on Jasper Transmissions? Are they a quality product? $4K is a lot of coin and I ain't much of a gambler but the local tranny shop wants that much to re-build the existing tranny (can you say "bend over"?:thatfunny ) I've noticed a few members here have installed them and I was wondering if they are happy with them?
Sure would appreciate your feed-back!
Thanks

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
$4000 ! What are the specs on your truck? (engine,year etc.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Nothing special... 97 Ram 4x4 5.9L w/ 210K KM (130K Miles?)
I checked out Jasper trannys awhile ago and they listed 'em at 3000$ (US$... I'm in canada so now it's even more...) plus shipping and then instalation... and a replacment cooler. The only shop I've yet been to told me anywhere from 3K to 3500$ (CDN$)plus (said it was the TC having disintegrated and plugged the lube lines for OD; "requires a complete re-build." included an extra pump to provide lube in Park (upgrade over stock). I thought I'd start looking around for a Reman. tranny but I'm not having much luck. Jasper keeps comin' up.......

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
I have ordered jasper engines before and had very good service out of them. I have not got a transmission from them yet, but if mine goes out i will probably order one.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The pump is the same.... To get lube in park the main regulator is different. It's a part made by Sonnax. I installed one in my van when I converted to a 46rh tranmission.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Hi,
Nothing special... 97 Ram 4x4 5.9L w/ 210K KM (130K Miles?)
I checked out Jasper trannys awhile ago and they listed 'em at 3000$ (US$... I'm in canada so now it's even more...) plus shipping and then instalation... and a replacment cooler. The only shop I've yet been to told me anywhere from 3K to 3500$ (CDN$)plus (said it was the TC having disintegrated and plugged the lube lines for OD; "requires a complete re-build." included an extra pump to provide lube in Park (upgrade over stock). I thought I'd start looking around for a Reman. tranny but I'm not having much luck. Jasper keeps comin' up.......
$3000 to $4000 is an outrageous price for a 46RE! The thing about Jasper and other "big" transmission places is they really "sugar coat" their products on their web sites. Fancy talk that sounds impressive when really they aren't any different (and probably not as good) as a tranny that I build for with ALL the upgrades for $1200 (as a bench job carry in) :VHOT:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I just got an official quote from Jasper and they want $3400 (CDN) PLUS $220 for rad cooler, plus installation on top. They won't charge a core fee though. Also... the shop they recommended does not have a good rep here in town..... what's that tell ya? I've been hunting hard on the net and it seems that Jasper ain't all that.... Lots of problems, lots of slipping, some guys on their second Jasper tranny........ I'm waiting to hear from APS Precision,(http://www.apsprecision.com/) they are well spoken of and offer NEW Mopar OEM trannys for $1200-$1800 but I'd like a few upgrades: just the failure points mostly. I'm gonna be into this truck LARGE so I guess she's a keeper, would be nice not to have to worry about another major tranny failure!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was just browsing through some of the previous posts in this thread and noticed somethng tactransman said..... I hadn't thought about carrying the old one in....... How big of a job is it to pull a tranny? (Complete noobness here.....) I've got most basic tools and could buy anything special, work space ain't great but nothing I couldn't work around, could even round up a coupl'a buddies to help. Seem s like a pretty daunting job to me....

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
$3000 to $4000 is an outrageous price for a 46RE! The thing about Jasper and other "big" transmission places is they really "sugar coat" their products on their web sites. Fancy talk that sounds impressive when really they aren't any different (and probably not as good) as a tranny that I build for with ALL the upgrades for $1200 (as a bench job carry in) :VHOT:
If you will rebuild mine when it's time for $1200 I will send you a bus ticket.:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
have tactransman rebuild onr for ya
swing by here we will throw her in
bring the bikes and after run down down to evarts ky black mountain
for off road work/play

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
If you will rebuild mine when it's time for $1200 I will send you a bus ticket.:D
What! No first class plane ticket! :bawl: . :D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
just make sure you can pick out the bus!!!

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
What! No first class plane ticket! :bawl: . :D
Well how about instead of waiting for it to crap I could just drive it down to you for a preventive rebuild? Oh yea, you said a carry in not a drive in. Actually mine if fine for now "OUCH" I think I just broke my hand knocking on this wood.....Let's say for fun sake if it did go bad what can I do to get a reasonable rebuild in KS? Know anyone here? :help:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.