DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Gulpin Gas Haullin ass
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want dual 12`s under the rear seat in my QC. I listen to about 90% rap with lots of bass.In my research I found the vented box is better for rap. But the 12in fox box is sealed. I am looking for it to be deep and loud, I want it to rattle the shit outta my truck (friendly competition with a buddy of mine). The dual 10`s vented.. would it be louder then 12`s sealed, my guess is no, but im a noob to car audio. Maybe there is another box.. I really dont want to build one... :help:

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
if u want it to actually shake ur truck, dont get a vented box. they sound great but u dont get the same vibrations out of em. go with a dual 12" non vented w/ some rockford fosgate p2s. maybe a 800w-1000w amp. that should shake pretty good

·
Living in my own world
449 Posts
I think that depending on what subs you were to get, 2-10's in a ported box could be louder than 2-12's in a sealed box. Like I said, it all depends on the subs. When I had my Tacoma, I had 1-10" Infinity Perfect in a regular Foxbox sitting on my back seat. One of my buddies thought I had more than that one sub. My opion though.

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
I think that depending on what subs you were to get, 2-10's in a ported box could be louder than 2-12's in a sealed box. Like I said, it all depends on the subs. When I had my Tacoma, I had 1-10" Infinity Perfect in a regular Foxbox sitting on my back seat. One of my buddies thought I had more than that one sub. My opion though.
true they can be louder, but theres a difference between the loud that u can hear and the loud that u can FEEL. :rck: generally vented is louder and cleaner, and non-vented shakes more but cant get as loud sound wise. there is physics behind it all that i cant explain if u would like me to.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I say stick with two tens in a properly sized box.
You also have to remember that ported boxes generaly need more airspace
You also dont have to stick with a fox box. you can glass a box for one 12 that might sound louder then the two tens.
maico

·
SRTs wanna b like me
2,607 Posts
hell i say ditch the back seat and go full custom with like 3 15's.:rck: then anyone ur competing with will b like :YO: :bawl:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
lol...I agree with aggie. Maybe you should get a bed cover and fill the bed up with speakers. BREAK SOME GLASS!

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
I vote 2 10s vented. Generally speaking, rap is one of the few genres where vented gets more votes than sealed. My 2 10s vented foxbox gets pretty loud off 650 watts (in the neighborhood of 125-130 db). With the right subs and the right amp, you'll be happy. I think joefox recommends 2 alpine Type Rs with about 1000-1200 watts in a vented dual 10 box.

Sealed and vented have distinctly different sounds. Vented sounds/is louder than sealed all things equal. It's not AS tight sounding as a sealed box, but the increased output with rap is worth it. If you listened to a 50/50 mix of rap and rock, then it would be more of a debate, but if you want to show off with rap, the vented 10s box is the box for you. It's still got some pretty solid sound quality with the proper subs and amp matched up with a good midbass and frontstage. If you are going for loudness, you may want to look into sound deadening your truck's interior. You'll get some noticeable gains from a proper treatment of sound deadener, and you should also bolt the box down to that underseat storage area if you're going for output. At high volumes, mine used to get muddy sounding because the box would start "jumping" just enough to throw off the compression of the drivers. I screwed them down a few weeks ago, and it's another significant increase in output.

·
Gulpin Gas Haullin ass
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 10s lounder then 2 12`s really.. crazy, hmm i want the baddest 10s and amp on the market then, suggestions please..

·
MOPAR OR NO CAR
674 Posts
First let me say,,,,,don't spent much time researching what box is gonna sound best. Basically you'll NEVER be satisfied! Maybe with some trial and error building a vented box using the entire space under the seat for one sub might be possible for something impressive. I don't see how theres enough room under there for 2 subs. Definitely the fox is going to be the best of the bunch. I'm recommending to have the box cut for 12s and use 2 RE audio SR series. I'm not gonna be pounding these down peoples throats but I really like um. Specially like them for the reason they love small enclosures.

http://reaudio.com/specs.html#sp_sr

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
you know I went to a local audio shop, and he was telling me they did this job on a QC ram...what they did was cut out the hump that's in the floor (like between the cubby holes) and welded in a flat piece of metal and put 4 10w6's lol. I don't know if he was messing with me or not..he told me the labor alone was like $2600

·
Gulpin Gas Haullin ass
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh, I dont really know what to do..

·
Gulpin Gas Haullin ass
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops ignore this.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I listen to alot of rap, and alot of rock, and I can tell you that my dual 12" sealed fox box rattles the crap out of my truck no matter what I listen to. 25-40 htz shakes my steering wheel, mirrors, windshield all of it. I have the alpine pdx1.1000 amp with a pair of pioneer premier 1000rms 3000max dual 4ohm subs. Its loud enough to give me a headache if I want, without even putting out max power. If you listen to rap, you will be disipointed when your 10s don't produce the low bass that's in most songs, that you would be getting with 12s. Ive had a set of alpine 10" type r subs and now these, and I wouldn't go back.

·
Gulpin Gas Haullin ass
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exact answer I was hoping for, thanks bud. Ill be ordering one soon.:rck::rck:.. I cant wait. Im thinking type r's or 2 kickers.

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
I listen to alot of rap, and alot of rock, and I can tell you that my dual 12" sealed fox box rattles the crap out of my truck no matter what I listen to. 25-40 htz shakes my steering wheel, mirrors, windshield all of it. I have the alpine pdx1.1000 amp with a pair of pioneer premier 1000rms 3000max dual 4ohm subs. Its loud enough to give me a headache if I want, without even putting out max power. If you listen to rap, you will be disipointed when your 10s don't produce the low bass that's in most songs, that you would be getting with 12s. Ive had a set of alpine 10" type r subs and now these, and I wouldn't go back.
He beat me to it, i run the same box with 2 kicker comp VR 12s on a memphis 1000.1 amp 1ohm stable and you can watch my back seat jump, it looks like it warps the seat, if you stand outside the truck you can feel your clothes shake, and watch the door panels vibrate, my rear view mirror and tow mirrors are pretty much useless when the bass is up, as he said above, its more than enough to give you a headache, and you will be disapointed when you see 10s don't produce the low bass that's in most songs

·
MOPAR OR NO CAR
674 Posts
Definitely not the kicker,,,,it requires to many cubes before it gets boomy. One kicker under the seat using the whole cavity would get lower then 2. 2 subs would be louder though and have very tight bass.....better have tons of power with 2. With a 12" R depth isn't an issue?

·
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
14,569 Posts
Definitely not the kicker,,,,it requires to many cubes before it gets boomy. One kicker under the seat using the whole cavity would get lower then 2. 2 subs would be louder though and have very tight bass.....better have tons of power with 2. With a 12" R depth isn't an issue?
not sure what you mean? ive ran kickers in some small boxes and almost shattered my windows, kickers are made to sound good in small enclosures as well as large ones

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Exact answer I was hoping for, thanks bud. Ill be ordering one soon.:rck::rck:.. I cant wait. Im thinking type r's or 2 kickers.
Check out this thread here (LINK)

BTW. If you are interested in Alpine Type R 12s then I would look at this link as they start at $35+shipping. (LINK)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.