DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Truck,Woman,Mud=Good Time
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting at a traffic light the other day with the radio off and after about maybe 30-40 seconds this odd noise starts, goes for about 15-20 seconds and then shuts off. The best way to descibe it is like a mechanical whirring noise I guess, after a little experimentation I've noticed it goes on to do this every time I stop and idle for a little bit. I can't feel any difference while driving, nothing seems wrong that I can tell. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I've got inspection tomorrow and I'm hoping to nip this in the ass if it's something that'll fail me.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Fan?

·
Still Pump'n
139 Posts
Sounds like the AC clutch. Open the hood with the engine idleing, & stand at the front & listen for the noise. Depending on the truck, it could come on a couple times per minute.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like the AC clutch. Open the hood with the engine idleing, & stand at the front & listen for the noise. Depending on the truck, it could come on a couple times per minute.
I would have to agree with Silver here. Sounds like an AC clutch going out to me.

And yes in the winter time your A/c clutch will still turn on with the heat set to on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your a/c clutch is going out its a pain, if the whole compressor is going out its a real b**** and alot of money

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that projects on the back burner then, can I still get heat without the clutch? I can always roll the window down during the summer but PA winters suck ass.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, it only kicks on to pull moisture out of the air with the defroster running. Easy way to check, unplug the ac clutch and see it anything changes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
yep the heats isnt affected, youll also free up a bit of hidden horsepower by losing the parasitic drag caused by the compressor.

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, that doesn't sound exactly urgent. But anyways, where's the clutch located underneath the hood? I'm still learning my way round the dodge engine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's most likely your A/C compressor. Check to see if your truck was in defrost mode when it happened. Nothing to worry about.

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was, it almost always is. So it's not getting ready to crap out or anything? I use the defrost setting more than I do the actual heater. I can't stand all that hot air blowing directly on my face or heating my feet up to the point where my feet are on fire inside my boots. Is it bad to leave it on all the time like that?

·
I WISH I WAS GREEN
3,273 Posts
you will be fine no need to worry.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I first bought my truck I was more worried that I DIDN'T hear that whirring....It meant that the clutch wasn't locking up. Turns out the Freon was out and as soon as I started charging the system it engaged and stayed on like it should with the A/C activated...Also as stated above, the clutch engages to dehumidify the defrost air. So, since it's primany job is not cooling the defrost it only runs intermittently.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
easy to diagnose, next time you come to a stop turn the heat off or to the floor and see if it does it then, if it does it not the a/c, then check the cooling fan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.