DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not the sexual way, but My 1996 dodge ram 1500 truck seems to have a hose cracked or broken....When I travel up a hill, the A/C goes from blowing straight to the defrost blowers....any help here???

And not only does that occur, but the truck will not shift down to 3rd when I am going up hill....any help on here also???

·
Registered
11 Posts
The A/C shifting from blowing straight to the defrost is a vacuum leak. Mine did that when I first got it and unfortunately I had it fixed at the dealer before I learned my lesson so I don't know exactly where.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Coming out of the plenum is a one way valve to keep vacuum under hard accel... if it goes bad, when you accel, the vents shift. it is a little black valve, about the diameter of a nickel, on the pass side on the vac line that feeds your speed control and HVAC. Mine did the same... replaced it last week and it quit it. See TSB 24-01-96 it explains it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a check valve on the passengers side of the intake manifold,
just under the hose for the PVC. replace that for $3.00 and that should take care of it. just make sure you put the valve in the correct way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know the name of that check valve or what I should ask for when i go to the parts store?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check the vacuum line where it connects to the cruise control actuator under the battery tray. My brief experience with vacuum problems on my 96 was battery acid ate up the plastic vacuum line. A six foot piece of rubber vacuum line cured my ills. Pain in the butt when you step on the gas and cold are blows out the defrosters. Think there was a TSB on this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It`s called a check valve, You can call a dealer parts person get a part # then take to a auto parts store for a cross reference.
Or just get it from the dealer I paid a couple of bucks for mine, from the dealer. And check the vacume lines also. but I think your problem is the valve,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.