DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
GoodFellas aka OG's
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am having some major issues with these coil packs. The other day one of them just melted. The truck died and I got a 2317 code. So I installed a new one and the same thing happened on the same coil. The truck died while driving down the freeway and I got the same code. Anybody know whats going on? Here’s pics of the new melted coil pack.

Attachments

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
that's weird.
looks like a charred melted frog...

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I'd check for a hard wire issue. Since it happened on the same cylinder, I'd check the resistance on the shorty plug wire first and if that checks out okay, I'd follow the wiring harness back. You'd be surprised what a little mouse can do to wiring.

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
Check all your ground straps etc from the block to frame also.

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
Oops, I edited that out when I fixed my typo. lol But that was supposed to be the first part of my statement. :D

·
GoodFellas aka OG's
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great info guys! Ok to answer a few questions… I did pull the plug and is in great shape. I changed them just in case anyways though. I thought about the arc1 also hemifever. I checked all the wires and connectors and they are good to go. I switched the bad coil and shorty plug over to another cylinder and the good coil and shorty plug to the bad cylinder. Well the good coil started to melt. So I know its cylinder 6. I also got a misfire code on cylinder 6 and I always get the 2317 code. It back fires and shakes a lot. I’m assuming it’s because the cylinder is not doing what it’s supposed to do. I’m not sure if I checked all the grounding straps but I did what I could. It was towed to a dealership. Just waiting for them to open in the morning. I will keep you guys informed.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...I'm curious about this as well...

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
you definatly have a wireing problem. you have constant power applyed to the coil someplace. because the coil is getting continuios voltage and having current flowing all the time and overheating the coil. im not sure if the hemi's are ground switched or power switched. (i would assume power) you need to find the source, i would figure out what wire it is off of the PCM, disconnect that plug and check there for voltage. and see if you can get it to change with the key on/off. and if you get a constant voltage on that wire (with it disconnected form the PCM) you will know there is a problem in the wireing someplace if there is nothing connect it back to the PCM, and test at the connector. (for the coil) and if you have countinious voltage there your issue will be in the PCM. because if i remember right the power for the coils comes straigt off the PCM to the coils. (nothing in between) so that is what i would check.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I'm still thinking it had/has something to do with unwiring the arc1. A little voltage spike over 5 volts will take a circuit out. The dealer will figure it out pretty easy I'd bet. Probably an open loop in there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't suppose the fuel injector could be screwed up throwing too much fuel in there?

He says its back firing which would also lead me to believe his motor is out of time or that cylinder is firing out of time. I'd go further back on the system and find out where the timing is being thrown off.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Subscribed

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.