DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey buddy here is some pricing on lift kit,tires ,and wheels , gears , bed liner

Lift sky jacker $2200.00

Tires 35x1250-18 trail grappler $1236.00

18’’ Chrome wheels Average price is $960.00

4.56 Gears Yukon $1800.00

Linex over rail $450.00

M/B 80.00

Lug 35.00

Total installed out the door price $7166.00

...I was wondering if that total price to too steep for the work I want done. The quote came from Down East Offroad in Wilson, NC. I've heard here and there that they can be a bit expensive but I personally don't know. This truck is my daily driver and is sitting with a hair over 160k right now, from my understanding the 318 is a very reliable motor. Should I also be planning to have the motor rebuilt or leave it as is considering it's running just fine right now. I'm trying to build to baddest 2nd Gen around, I had considered buying an 09 or newer when I got home but just couldn't justify the payments considering the fact that my truck is payed for and I can drop money into what I have and make the way that I want it. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanx

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Yeah bring it to me and I can save you quite allot at least 1500.00

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
2200 for a skyjacker install???? What are you getting? A 8" lift with custom arms and dual reservoir shocks and all custom fab?????

Sorry, but that is ridiculous. All you have to do is springs, arms and a leaf. I know its a small lift, but my 3" Skyjacker was installed by me and two buddies in a few hours without a shop. We did springs, lower arms and AAL. The track bar my Dad and I did in a half hour. Good grief, these trucks aren't furds with all the IFS crap and welding etc.

Go somewhere else or diy.

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
He said ferd ha ha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, yea I'm just looking to lift it 5", that's all. The price on the lift def sounded steep and the "diy" way sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
5 inch kits are way more expensive than 3" for sure. What I would do if I were you is a 3" kit for about $500 then a body lift for couple hundred. That would be a lot cheaper and easier plus you won't have to modify hardly anything except the track bar. I got the springs, LCAs, AAL and shocks for about 400 plus the track bar which was 300. But I pieced everything together over a couple years until I was ready. I would love to go 3" more but will need gears for anything bigger.

One single 5" kit can run 1400 or more which is ridiculous IMO. Check out TopGun Customz for their latest 5 in kits. They have newer engineering and may offer better deals. Although I am very pleased with Skyjacker.

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
5 inch kits are way more expensive than 3" for sure.

That's why I run a 3 inch lift also.Paid like $300 bucks for my Rancho and installed in in the garage! But then again I'm a cheap skate!!

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
Well there is a Dodge 1500 here local with 7" suspension and 3" body and 39" tires already lifted for what they want just for the lift. I say buy something already lifted and keep the other truck win win situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, buying one already lifted is definitely an alternative. I looked at what TopGunz Customs has to offer and it looks good and the price isn't as steep of course of the Skyjacker ones. I wouldn't mind a 3" lift but would that look aggressive enough?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
No. What I have learned is that a 3" lift (at least the Skyjacker coil / AAL kit) puts a 1500 to the height of a 2500. The coils settle a little and gives a slight rake. It definitely makes the truck look really good and 305 or 315s are even possible with 3". I still have 285s and they look small but the 318 struggles with them.

Thus my truck looks like a stock 2500 from a distance. It does not scream "LIFTED" but looks really good compared to stock. The best lift IMO is 5" or 6" with 35s.

When I was looking at trucks at the Texas fair, the stock ferd pooper doody stood much higher stock than my lifted 1500. So did the new CTD. Even chubbies are bigger now with their new frames. When I pull next to any newer rig, I think "I gotta lift this thing!" But to each his own. . .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
They are pushing you to a 3" lift and i think i have to agree. 2200 to have someone put a lift in a dodge is completely whack. That is unless its going to be like Big green, but thats not what we're talking here. Consider a 3" kit and a 3" body lift. From what I understand a 5" kit isnt much of a ride unless you have long arms which can get costly. With the 3" lift and 3" body you will still have the option to increase the suspension lift later on. If this is at all a plan of yours look for an adjustable track bar that can do both 3" and 5". Maybe consider a set off tgc adjustable control arms as well, but all in all you will be very happy with 6" total lift. Some members on here were running 37's with 6" lift. They also sell 2" body lifts for our trucks so you could get your 5" total lift.

I also think your wheels sound pretty expensive. I know they range pretty drastically, but i found my wheels at 4wheelparts.com for 550 delivered to my door. I havent done gears but just the yukons are what 900 for front and rear. Then you need install kits and such and they say 1k for install so that sounds on par.

Sorry for the lengthy response

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
oh and you will be happy with those nittos i love mine

·
Registered
280 Posts
I pieced my second suspension together using skyjacker 7" coils, Cepek long arms, 6" Atlas springs, nitro shocks, 4" drop pitman, and a skyjacker trac bar for just over 1300... I did all the suspension work myself in the driveway over a weekend- that was good enough to clear 39s if you are looking for the BIG look

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
I wouldn't mind a 3" lift but would that look aggressive enough?

This is what a 3 inch lift looks like.

Attachments

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
My vote is a 3" body lift and a 3" suspension with 35" tires about the best look imo for daily driver.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
install on 3" lift pretty easy really if you have some tools its not that bad.

I cant speak at the body lift though i havent done one

·
Registered
280 Posts
Body lift is pretty simple also... good floor jack and a good size chunk of 4x4 with a groove cut down the middle for the pinch weld seam under your door works for the cab,, a couple friends works for the bed!! only need to have the shift linkage extension welded in to complete everything, takes a full day with a couple friends that are mechanically inclined!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.