DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the general topics forum, but I didn't get much of a response, so I apologize for the double posting:

http://rough.roughcountry.com/RC ...wd_DodgeRam.htm

I'm looking at the 3"
Do I need the Lift spindles only? the Kit with spindles? or the Kit with coil springs?
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I don't know anything about lifting my truck, other than, I want to lift it I have an '02 2WD 3.7 5spd. Thanks for the help.

Also, is this kit any good, because the other lifts I see people getting are way more expensive than this.

Finally, off road capability is not a neccessity for me. I am doing this for looks only. I mean, I don't want this kit to break or anything, but I'm not gonna be climbing mountains or swimming in mud holes either
Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
spindles usually dont require longer shocks, so i would get the spindles, and maybe a 1in block for the rear...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that all I have to do is replace the spindles? What does the kit come with? I thought I read where people were installing the coil spacers and still needing longer shocks for that? Set me straight, if I replace the spindles, this will lift my truck 3" all the way around? Thanks

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'm confused...first off, let me apologize for being totally ignorant when it comes to lift kits...and for this post being so long, but please help. I have been talking back and forth with Rough Country about getting a 3 inch lift. I am going to paste the emails from back and forth. I want all of your help to let me know if this is correct and educate me. My main goal is to first, get the truck sitting level, then raise it 3 inches completely. I thought I could get a 3 inch suspension kit and be done with it, little did I know there were different kits with different ways I can go. I don't want to spend too much money because this is only for looks, not performance. Again, my truck is a 2002 1500 2WD...here are the emails, and thanks for the help - Paul

(1st email from me to Rough Country)
Does this kit 366H come with everything I need? It is the 3" suspenstion lift kit with coil and springs? Will I need anything else (other than tools) to complete my lift? Its for a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD.
Thanks
Paul

(2nd email from me to RC when I forgot something)
Also, will I need to cut the frame or anything? Thanks
Paul

(1st email to me from RC)
There is no cutting or anything like that involved with this lift. It is straight forward bolt-on, very simple installation - front coils, shocks and rear blocks. That is all thats required for this lift.
thanks,
Zac

(3rd email from me to RC)
Zac,
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but when it comes to lifts, I don't know anything about them. All I want to do is lift my '02 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD 3 inches. I asked some people about the kit I wanted to purchase from you and they said all I would need are the shackles. Is this correct? I'm not going to go off roading or anything like that, I just want it for looks. I'm not sure what the shackles do, the only thing I can imagine is they replace the stock shackles and lift the truck? Are shackles all that is needed to obtain a lift? Wouldn't I need longer shocks as well? Also, why wouldn't I need the coil springs kit? I am totally clueless when it comes to this. I am definetely going to get your kit because it is a really good price and I've heard a lot of good things about Rough Country. My problem is, I don't know what kit/parts I need. I just want this kit for looks. Please help and explain to me the difference of all three so I will know what to order.
Thanks again, and sorry for sounding ignorant.
Paul

(4th email from me to RC when I messed up)
lol, just to show you how retarded I am....I mean spindles, not shackles...sorry
Paul

(2nd email from RC to me)
The easiest way to go would be using the lift spindles up front. They are pretty easy to install, dont change your ride quality, but they will cause your front tires to stick out just a bit. You dont have to use coil springs if you use the spindles because they will supply all the lift you need. The spindles give 3" of lift, so we put a rear block kit in with our kits to try and make the truck sit level. If you think the front of your truck sits about 3" lower in the front then it would be fine to order just the spindles, or if you like the look of the rear end sitting a little lower, I would go that way. We can do it just about anyway you want to. The kit does come with front and rear shocks also, even though you technically dont have to change them with this lift. Since using a lift spindle doesn't change your shock travel and the 1" block in the rear wont take enough travel away to notice, but they are a higher grade shock and should ride a bit better than your factory equipped ones. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Zac

(5th email from me to RC)
That does help, but would that only raise the front end? On these new Dodge trucks they have the front end sitting slightly lower than the rear. I bought a 1.5" coil spacer for the front to help level it out. So if i have the coil spacers in, that makes my truck almost level. Are you saying the coil springs (and spacers) would be completely removed? From there, I want to raise it 3 inches all the way around, so wouldn't I need like a 3 inch block for the rear to get it 3 inches higher to be level with the front when the spindles are added? Let me know what all I need to get it 3 inches higher in the front and rear, so it will be level and how much it will cost, and hopefully in about a month or two I can get it ordered. Thanks for your help. Oh, and when you say the spindles will cause my tires to stick out a little bit, will it be a noticible amount, and if so, what would I need to get the rear tires to match? My main goal is to have the truck lifted 3 inches, front and rear from stock height and be level. Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
400 Posts
Since you are currently level, you would need a 3" block for the rear and new 3" longer shocks for the rear. and 3" of lift in the front i would do the spindles as they do not require new shocks. But i would reccomend some aftermarket shocks, just cuz the factory shocks are $hit...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help. I think I'll eventually get it. I think now, its gonna be later, not sooner because I started weighing in all the costs. Lift, Tires, Gears, someone to install the gears....so .... one day...but I appreciate the info

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
wesshipman said:
Since you are currently level, you would need a 3" block for the rear and new 3" longer shocks for the rear. and 3" of lift in the front i would do the spindles as they do not require new shocks. But i would reccomend some aftermarket shocks, just cuz the factory shocks are $hit...
Where can you get the blocks and spindles??

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
1,441 Posts
Thanks!! I can see how this is confusing.....

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lucky, I just noticed you have a 4x4, that link goes directly to the 2WD lifts, so navigate that site and it will take you to the 4x4 lifts. I just don't want you to end up getting a 2WD lift for your truck and then it not work. That would kinda suck

·
1,441 Posts
I noticed it as soon as the page came up. It said 02-05 2wd Dodge Ram.....
Thanks for the heads up though!!!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lucky8926 said:
I noticed it as soon as the page came up. It said 02-05 2wd Dodge Ram.....
Thanks for the heads up though!!!
no problem, I just didn't want you to get screwed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.