DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the factory heavy duty tow package, but is this a Tranny Cooler?

Attachments

· Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,505 Posts
No, that is your air conditioner condenser. The stock trans cooler is in the radiator. Auxillary trans coolers are usually small (about 10x12).

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok, do the stock coolers go in front of the radiator? How can I tell if i have a factory tranny cooler? Thanks

· Do It In A Van
8,067 Posts
I'm seeing what looks like two other lines going behind the condensor. Generally a factory installed auxillary trans. cooler is in between the radiator and condensor (at least this is what I was told). You may have this.

· Registered
71 Posts
with the 2 extra lines there I would say yes. follow them back, they should tie in to the transmission lines

You can get a print out off all options that came with you truck when it was new by going to the dealer parts person with your vin and they can print a sheet out for you.

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, didnt know that! Thanks

· EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Here is a picture of where your trans cooler is. This pic is of a V10 engine. I would think the V8's would be the same.

Attachments

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everybody!

· Registered
87 Posts
The V-10 has an extra-thick radiator and the trans cooler is thus mounted as shown in above image.

Smaller motors have trans cooler between condensor and radiator. Look for two hard lines going in to that space from passenger side.

· Built Not Bought
1,861 Posts
The V10's is mounted up front, the V8's cooler is between the A/C and radiator

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think it will help the tranny more if I put another aftermarket cooler on it?

· Do It In A Van
8,067 Posts
A total of 3 coolers? Radiator cooler, auxillary cooler, and another auxillary cooler?

That may make the fluid too cool.

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I didnt really wanna mess with it anyway.

· RoaringRam
396 Posts
The stock trans cooler is located within your radiator. If you want to prolong the life of your transmission it would be a good investment to buy an Aux. cooler. They're not that expensive and will help your tranny tremendously. Silver_DodgeRam can help you out a lot with this since he has an Aux. cooler on his Ram. Here is a link in which Silver posted that may be helpful:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=447098&postcount=40

Click on the link about halfway down the page and you'll see his schematic of the Aux. Cooler installation. Hope this helps you out.

· Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,505 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Auxiliary cooler, as above, should have been on all auto trans vehicle of every sort since first developed in late 1940's. Trans will live longest with fluid (measured at sump) at 150F. Add cooler downstream of radiator tank cooler, and then add an auxilary filter (such as MAGNEFINE). See www.emeringent.com. Very high quality piece, carries a FORD and TOYOTA part number for inhouse dealer trans rebuilds.

After that, change fluid annually/25,000 (completely, not just pan drop) and it ought to live with any reasonable towing, idling, etc that is hard on trans temp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.