DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im turning 16 in a few months and i would like to buy a dodge 3g hemi with a 6k price range. i found this truck on craigslist. this is the sellers caption. "For sale is a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab slt 4x4. Has power windows, locks and cruise control. Runs good it has 184,000 miles on it. It has the 5.7l v8 hemi 5500 obo". Is this a good buy or is there way to many miles?

Attachments

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
It will take some patience at that price point, but I would hold out for something with fewer miles.

A $6,000 truck with 184k miles is going to end up costing you a lot more than six grand. There are plenty of instances where people run these trucks well beyond that point, but there are also many that end up with serious engine or transmission trouble by the time they hit 200k. Not really knowing how the truck has been maintained, driven, and cared for, you're definitely taking a risk.

Being 16 with your first truck is awesome. Being 16 with a broken truck or a big repair bill you need to spend the summer working to pay off sucks.

Unless you are real set on 4 doors and a backseat, I would be looking for a regular cab truck. They are a lot more fun to drive, especially with a hemi, and your money will go further. My first Ram was a 2002 regular cab with a 4.7L (Hemi came out in 2003). I loved that truck, it was super fun.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
ok but this is the best deal i can find that looks good
Like I said, be patient. I know the feeling, been there, you've found a truck that looks good, and it feels like it's the only one you can find, you get that feeling of urgency and want to pull the trigger.

Be patient! Good low mile trucks come up all the time, but they sell very fast. You have to be checking craigslist and other places constantly, have your cash ready, and jump when you find it. But it will happen. Buying the wrong truck can really set you back in the long run.

Also, really think about getting a regular cab. Unless you have a real need to be driving friends around, they are way more fun to have. If I didn't have kids I would be driving one now.

Where city, state are you in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you think i ca find a nice 3rd gen hemi for 6k? and id like tto have the quad cab i have alot of friends who cant drive

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
do you think i ca find a nice 3rd gen hemi for 6k? and id like tto have the quad cab i have alot of friends who cant drive
Sure you can. Just remember when shopping for a used car, it's competitive for the best ones. You have to be patient, be paying attention, and be ready to go when a good one comes up. The real nice ones will only show up on CL for about a day until someone snaps it up. You won't see them just logging in and searching one time, but they are out there.

Just a quick looking around in my area:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5346865061.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive looked in 6 states and i cant find any that look good and are under 180,000. should i just take the deal on the first one

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Listen to everything scdaren has said. I'm 21 now and know what it's like when you finally get that license and feel like you need a car now. Also, I wouldn't buy a car for other people, but that might just be me. They will soon enough get their own right?

I will share my experience of rushing into a car purchase. Last year I decided my commuter car wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be and I sold it to buy another. I made the decision to buy a Jeep so I could wheel it on my days off. I rushed into one that I was in love with and didn't use my entire brain when I bought it. In just over a year, the engine blew up and I busted my rear end. So I have $10k invested into it plus what I paid originally. I regret ever selling my car and getting the jeep but it is what it is and I've learned. Sold a car that was running perfect with 80k miles for this mess. Oh well though.

Think it through many times before you decide to buy a vehicle ESPECIALLY if it has high milage.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I'd offer 4900. 180000 is a lot of miles, you got maybe 50k miles before serious rebuilding is required. it'll be interesting to see its repair history, maintenance.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
I was the complete opposite when I got my truck. I wanted a 2 dr so I couldn't carry more than 3 when really needed lol.
^This. Regular cab significantly reduces the odds you pull short straw for designated driver.

·
Kind of an 03
2,190 Posts
^This. Regular cab significantly reduces the odds you pull short straw for designated driver.
Damn right. Plus I used to like driving pretty crazy/ race which I usually would do when driving by myself, but you have that one friend that you ride or die with at times. **** I feel old now thinking that my next truck will have 4 Doors an I'm not thinking about hauling friends I'm thinking about hauling little ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.