DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Gals,
First post here...
I've spent the last few months trying to find five (5) 17x8, 8 on 6.5 steel wheels. From what I've been able to determine this size was used as a spare only on some 2500 and 3500 series SRW trucks. The internet provided the following P/N's, I don't know if the P/N's are Hollander interchange #'s or factory #'s
STL02224U20 Dodge Ram 2500-3500, ’03-’07, 17x8, 8 on 6.5 steel spare wheel
STL02221U20 Dodge Ram 2500-3500, ’02-’03, 17x8, 8 on 6.5 steel spare wheel
These are just plain old 10 slot painted wheels.

internet "OEM" wheel distributors: no joy, Ebay: no joy, Craigslist: no joy
Those who list them on their site don't have them in stock (salvage take-offs)

I tried the search engine here and looked at the "sticky" for wheel specs. I called my local Dodge dealer and gave the the various P/N's and codes and though trying to be helpful could not located it in their data base. He said "If I had a VIN, he could break it down and get the wheel spec. Here lies the problem...now don't flame me, but I want these wheels for my '69 Bronco!
Ya, I know sacrilege, but I've always had respect for Dodge enthusiast. You guys have to work hard to build what you want due to lack of market support (resto market for folks that like to build 50's-70's iron).

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it "old school" and can't justify aluminum alloy's. The chrome clad steel wheels would work but I'd have to sand and paint them, again sacrilege...

I need to run a 315/70x17 or 35x12.50/17 to make my gearing work and both of those tires require a 8.5" or wider wheel by the tire mfg's. I'd feel more comfortable running a 8.0" wheel than a 7.5" wheel.

SO...if you got the factory, Dodge P/N, have 1 or more wheels in good condition or have any info on what trim package that used these as spares, fire away

Thanks for your time and patients,
Doug in Yuma

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Might cost a bit more, but check out Stockton wheel. They can custom build you a set of steel wheels in any width & offset you need. I bought a set of front steelies for one of our Ford tractors (to replace the original troublesome split rims) and was very happy with their product & service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
71 hits and nobody know of the mythical 17x8 steel spare wheel? I'm still plugging away. SLT8, thank you for your sugestion, I have looked into Stockton wheel in the past few months and it seems that they have had a death in the business that has sent them into a tail spin. Don't know if they have it all sorted out yet, but from what I read on other forums they were temporarily shut down and orders were backed up.

As stated, I really like the look of the Dodge "Steelie" wheel and the price is very reasonable, $119.00 quoted from dealer for similar, but could not confirm that what he was looking at was what I was looking for.

I have faith in you folks...

Doug in Yuma

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
I think the only 17" spare steel wheel for these trucks is 17x7 or 17x7.5 (one of the two). But they have the steel 17x8s that have the chrome covers on them.

EDIT: Just read u wanted some 8 lugs wheels, dunno if they made an 8 jug spare in that size.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Power Wagons, at least the early 3Gs, came with black steel 17x8 wheels for the spares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
01-off road, Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking at the Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 17x9 steelie, it's just like the procomp & crager wheel (8 big holes). From what I see in the spec's, the the Black rock is rated at 3650 lbs., where the procomps are max'd at 2000 lbs.. Don't know why the big discrepancy...they look like the same wheel? Oh, and the Black rock "Lobo" has a little more style, but they don't offer it in a 17" yet.

Still like the look of the Dodge factory steelie, just fits the look and function I'm going for, but if all else fails or the price difference is too great to justify, I'll run the "8 series" wheels.

If anyonehas and can confirm the P/N of 17x8 Dodge OEM steel spare I would be very appreciative.

P.S did I tell you this is all part of a Cummins 4BTA transplant? Swapped my front dana 44, 5 on 5.5 hubs for some 8 on 6.5's and pulled the rear Ford 9" and swapped in a narrowed dana 60 out of a '01 E 350 van (picked up factory rear disc brakes with the deal!)

Thanks for the replys...keep 'em coming,
Doug in Yuma

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doug - I'm a little late to respond but I was looking for exactly the same thing, and found that Southwest Wheel in Texas USA can get them. I just ordered a set, but I must say, I don't like the ride compared to the alloys that came on my '11 Cummins. The style is PERFECT for me (old school, like you), but PITA to balance, mine still aren't right.

Anyway here are the links. Be warned - don't trust these pics/part numbers, because I ordered black and I received silver. Have them check the colors before you buy. As it turns out, I prefer silver. Looks PERFECT on my truck (everyone else hates it, but they just don't get it). Just wish I could get them to balance. The also just feel "bouncy." I despite my flashy polished chrome 6-spokes so I might just keep the steelies. But I don't want to wear out my wheel bearings with an imbalanced wheel.

Anyway hope this helps. It's a 17x8 stock steelie, black, just what you asked for, literally identical to the spare. If you need more pics/details let me know.

These are identical to my factory spare steel on my 2011 Cummins (my spare is black).

southwestwheel.com/store/p-4629-k0x41782.aspx

(Edit: my previous version showed another link but it was for a 16" not a 17") - southwestwheel com/store/p-4628-k0x41685.aspx )

(system won't let me post URL, WTF?!!! so piece it back together)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really just wish someone would make an alloy lookalike of the stock steelie. But the market just isn't that great apparently. Nobody seems to like that look; they want spokes. To me, the humble steelie says "I'm a truck."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long story short, and lots of $ later, I'm back to stock Michelin 265's on stock polished 6-spoke alloys.

I just didn't like the way the steelies "felt" and was not able to balance the BFG AT KO on any rim (partly due to installer incompetence, I suspect, in hindsight).

I was out of time, money and patience, so back to stock it went, and I was able to recover pretty much all of my money (long story).

When I find an alloy with steelie look, or when my current tires wear out, I'll redo, and will likely go with more aggressive tread but may just keep stock 265 size to avoid hassle with changes in suspension geometry, more rotational mass on the heavy and rumored weak front end, etc.

While the look may not be ideal for my tastes, the truck feels much more nimble with the stock setup and it hasn't let me down, and I'll take my truck's function over my truck's looks any day.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Good call...unsprung weight really fudges everything up, especially when it's in the form of wheels/tires. Pretty sure your stock alloys are forged by Alcoa, so you can't really get much better than that in terms of functionality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been doing a lot of looking for those 17x8 10 hole argent or black steelies myself.
Going back to 2007, no Dodge literature,including the BodyBuilder books that show every available option, shows a 17x8 steel ever having been available, spare or otherwise except as the chrome clad.
So, it looks like the 10 hole 17x8s are just a wish and that we'll have to settle the p/n 5GY15S4AAB 17x7.5 color: S4A, order code: WD2 if we want the ST wheel look.

·
Small Rodent Big Truck
33 Posts
I have 4 Pacer 17x8 rims on my truck now. Not sure if they discontinued them or not but I do know that Pacer, AMerican Racing, and a couple other companies offered this size for those of us that love fat tires. Keep looking and good luck.

·
Small Rodent Big Truck
33 Posts
Here is a link to a search I did on E-Bay that may be helpful for you in locating what you want: h t t p : / /motors.desc.shop.ebay.com/Wheels-/43953/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&Rim%2520Diameter=17&Rim%2520Width=8&_nkw=Black&_dmd=1&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&_fln=1&_ipg=50&_pcats=33743%2C6030%2C6028%2C6000&_sop=10&_ssov=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m282&Rim%2520Material=Steel
I ended up adding a few spaces in the link to get it to post properly.
Hopefully this will assist you in finding the correct rims you wish for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts