DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just now figuring out what I have and It seems like I may as well have a ram 2500... What is the difference between my truck and a 2500. I listed a few things below that came on my truck stock....

17 Inch Off-Road Rims, 2 Inch Factory Lift, Transmission Cooler, Heavy Duty Cooling System, Skid Plates, Limited-Slip Rear, 4.10 Gears, Trussed Dana 44 Front Axle, Tow Hooks, 136 Amp Alternator, Heavy Duty Transfer Case, Heavy Duty Front Coil Springs and Rear Leaf Springs, Heavy Duty Front and Rear Shocks

·
Registered
994 Posts
You have a 1500 frame, not the heavy duty ram frame. You also have standard front and rear 1500 axles (D44/9.25 Corp). The differences you listed should all be put into perspective with that in mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I guess that is a big difference. lol Oh well, she sure pulls a bobcat and trailer like a 2500..I do know that!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Be careful pulling that bobcat and heavy tilt trailer. While most of the tranny problems were solved in the late gen 2s, you still have to worry about heat. Of course, I'm probably not telling you anything new. My truck pulls my 6500 lb boat/trailer combo great :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I have put about 35k on the truck in the last year and a half and I have a landscaping business so she gets used like a dirty rag. 192,000 is alot but the trans seems fine I usually take it easy on her. She is starting to leak oil though so I am going to get that hughes plenum kit for that and a few other things, not sure yet exactly what, but I need better gas milage that is for sure!!!

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
You do know what your 1500 is rated to "safely" pull right? Because a tilt trailer and Bobcat is probably way outside of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Safely... Jk Yes I know it isnt "supposed" to pull that much but she does. My truck now pulls no different than my 98 ram 2500 did. The trailer is like 1 ton and the machine i think is around 3 tons. I pulled it less than 10 times this year, not like a daily thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do I find tow ratings and other info like that/?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I think about it that bobcat is more like 8000 lbs

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So you pull 10K# with your 1500?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep 192,000 miles and pulling bobcats...I don't tow it on a daily basis. Like i said before i towed it maybe 10 times his year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you load the machine on the trailer the right way and have all the weight distributed correctly then it isnt that bad...

·
Registered
122 Posts
02 Ford Super Duty Powerjoke pulls around our 9k pound trailer then we add the bobcat. If Ford can do that the Dodge can handle it.

·
2,032 Posts
ramslt88 said:
Where do I find tow ratings and other info like that/?
Listed on the door tag and the manual. A 1500 is rated at ~7000 lbs towing with 500 lb tongue weight and a class IV hitch...so you are exceeding that by just a tad. I assume you are using a weight distributing hitch?

The question is not really whether or not the truck will actually tow the weight but whether it can do it safely so that you don't have the death of a family of 4 on you conscious for the rest of your life.

·
2,032 Posts
muffler-hater said:
02 Ford Super Duty Powerjoke pulls around our 9k pound trailer then we add the bobcat. If Ford can do that the Dodge can handle it.
The Super Duty is a 3/4 or 1 ton...the Dodge in question is a 1/2 ton. :huh:

·
Big Green
8,318 Posts
I agree just because it can pull it is not a good idea to exceed the weight limits of your vechicle that is because the family you mae save might be mine and as a cop it keeps us from hassling you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.