·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just got me a green 94 stealth

and it could use a fresh paint job

im debating whether or not to just get it resprayed the same green color

or to paint it Black

I had a friend who took his car to maaco to get the $250 ambassador paint service and it looked like it just got from the factory, it looked that good

i know MAACO dosn't have the best reputation

so what do u guys think??

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Remember, you only get what you pay for. Maaco uses the cheapest paint there is and it typically doesn't last. Most people put a Maaco job on a vehicle they plan on dumping soon, not one they just bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ram3500Dually said:
Remember, you only get what you pay for. Maaco uses the cheapest paint there is and it typically doesn't last. Most people put a Maaco job on a vehicle they plan on dumping soon, not one they just bought.
Yea i your right, you get what you pay for

so do you know how much it would cost to get my stealth resprayed with the same color??

·
Registered
199 Posts
J.Blac757 said:

or to paint it Black

I had a friend who took his car to maaco to get the $250 ambassador paint service and it looked like it just got from the factory, it looked that good

250 DOLLARS!!!!! there is no way id do that. it might look good now, but in a year or less hell have fading, swirls, and anything else that you can think of. where i work we have our own paint mixing system that saves us alot of money, and its still costs like 500 dollars just in paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not recommend maaco period. I am a journeyman auto painter and have seen several bad paint jobs from there. They do in fact use cheap paint (Sherwin Williams) and the overall quality is bad. A friend of mine knew someone who owned a maaco so we rented the booth there to do one of our own projects. And while there we walked around and looked at the finished cars and all I can is wow!! They mask everything off and not very well I might add there was overspray on door handles, mouldings, glass, etc. plus, the paint had a lot of orange peel and dirt! And when we were talking about the quality with the owner he mentioned that if a customer does not like the dirt or orange peel they can pay an additional 250 to have it wet sanded and buffed. Plus one thing that I found humorous was that on one of the vehicles that we really looked at had virtually no paint on the rockers and underside of the wheel wells. Pretty much it appeared that the painter never even bothered to bend over...lol.. I would say if you love your car I would either save up to get a reputable shop to do it or just keep it as is.

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
J.Blac757 said:

or to paint it Black

its a waste of money. you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
199 Posts
also at our shop if someone brings in a car with that kind of paint job to get body work done, we wont even touch it. and that is how most of the shops are at least around where i live.

·
Premium Member
27,633 Posts
MAACO painted my car the wrong color 2 times and put rusty parts on the 3rd time!

1st time - they didn't paint my car two tones, they painted it one tone.

2nd time - they painter the front of my hood one color and the other half a different color.

3rd time - they put rusty parts on it and forgot to put in all the screws.

Never again will I go there.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i had a maco paint job once. it was on the body tub of a jeep cj-7. i did all the prep work and body work and primed/sealed it myself. all they had to do was wipe it down and spray it. there were dimples in the pain, orange peel like crazy, they didnt paint the roll bar, there was paint on my tires, window, where the hood sat ontop of the fenders, they wouldnt prop the hood up so ther as no paint line. from what i understand, the use a one step paint process. a paint that is like an enamel. it has a clear coat in it or something. i didnt care much about the paint job because it was only a cj, i wast expecting a world class paint job, but i still felt taken in the end. there was also areas in the paint that appeared to have bubbles during the painting process. like little craters.

·
Xploded Member
483 Posts
IMHO-i would paint my vehicle myself before going to Maaco, or Earl Scheib for that matter.

·
Ultimate Design
2,268 Posts
Paint a whole car in the year 2007 for $250...what do you expect for quality??... lol.. :D

·
Project Dreamsicle
1,828 Posts
ewwwww...maacco..ewww here how about thiss give me 250 and i will have my 9 year old paint it... and it will still be better quality

·
Registered
199 Posts
byrdawg13 said:
from what i understand, the use a one step paint process. a paint that is like an enamel. it has a clear coat in it or something.
its called a single stage paint. its like what is used to paint boats, planes, and older cars. it can look really good if you used quality materials

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.