Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it increase power?
what does it do to the sound? (ive got an AT3030 muffler

Oklahoma couldnt care less about inspections so i dont have to worry about that. What are the Pros and Cons you have seen with gutting the cats and how would i find someone to do this for me?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I think I would remove the Cats and replace them with test pipes or just exhaust pipe.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I gutted mine and had a 3" pipe run through them (we do get inspected here), performancewise, it does make a difference (for the better)...it will make your exhaust a little louder (and change the tone)... the only thing you have to consider is that you smell more of the exhaust in the cab ( I prolly have a leak someplace...or also may be related to the cutouts as well)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You have a aero turbine muffler,which is really loud.
If you gut the cat it will get a lot louder.
Maybe a magnaflow highflow cat with built in bungs for your 02s would be a better idea,unless you dont mind really loud.
Replacing the stock y-pipe and high flow cats will give you a noticeable boost,and wont be any much louder.

·
-4.7 ltr racing-
459 Posts
cut the cats a month ago i cant complain , lol beware it gets loud got a noise ordinace ticket 2 weeks later but its worth it ! it does throw my cel and to solve that , i ordered the foolers that hook up to your o2 sensors from moes performance and it helped but i guess i need to throw the steel wool in the fooler to have no cel at all. with no fooler the cel came one in a day , with the foolers maybe 4 days and sometimes if i leave my truck for a long time , the cel goes away. overall 2 thumbs up

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so will a highflow cat improve some power and a little sound?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It will improve power,and will not add much sound to it.
When i had my aero turbine it was noisy enuff without gutting any cats.
Getting a better y-pipe,highflow cats(which arent that expensive), will all add performance over stock.
And you wont be messing with engine codes,and non fouler.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
On a stock or lightly modified engine like cai and exhaust, the cats will not make any difference in performance.

I still have my stock cats in place and I push a ton of exhaust through them with the turbo.

I don't have a clue about the sound difference.

To me, its not worth the trouble.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,615 Posts
For those of you with no cats, which direction did your mpgs go?

·
Low N Slow
4,459 Posts
I am not to sure if it because i am running LT's, or having no cats or both but with the Aero Turbine 3030 there is a noticable flapping or farting sound that occurs through the rpms. Hard to explain but a few other members have noticed it when running that set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.