DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ready to buy an 05 QC but wondered if I should rethink the old diesel vs. gas question. With the reported poor gas mileage vs diesel engine mielage and the expectation of $3 a gallon soon... wouldnt it be wise to bite the bullet and spend the extra $$$ on a diesel? Anyone get a great deal on an 05 diesel? I see sticker around 42k... hoping to get like 10k off. Dealer seems to be giving 8-9k off... i need more :)

Also has anyone opted for a LWB instead of the short wheelbase? I love the stance of a QC with the long bed.. just looks impressive but dont want to have to part 100 miles away to fit it.

Thanks kevin

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Depends on how many miles you drive and if you pull anything on whether the diesel is right for you. I personally wouldn't own another pickup without it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not much towning but could be in future. mileage like 15k a year but again more probably in future.... Just the fuel savings alone to me is worth it. ANd i want to keep it (so I think) as i have gone through too many vehicles... I want to actually OWN something...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
A diesel will definetely last a heck of a lot longer than a gas if you take care of it. I have never owned a diesel, but when I get older (I'm 21), i will definetely get one. Like Ram3500 said, it all depends on how much you drive and what you tow. 15K a year, isn't really that much when looking into a diesel. It depends on how much more driving you will be doing in the future. With gasoline prices on the rise, you may want to check into diesel fuel prices to see if they will be rising. It is certainly an investment looking into if you are looking for something for the long run. I would get one today if I could afford it. They are awesome trucks.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
and welcome to DT

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you tow something large-ish, get a diesel. A lot of my co-workers have diesel trucks and tried to convince me, but I don't tow anything and in no way could I justify the extra $5k.

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
My brother-in-law has one and if I could swing it I would have one too. His is a 2003 2500 QC SLT 4X4 Long Bed HO it gets about 19/20 MPG and tows like a mother. As for performance it leaves just about anything in its wake. An interesting thing is also the residual value. The premium in resale/trade in is more than the engine cost new so if you move it on you lose less than the Hemi or 4.7 and the diesels are much in demand.
On the other hand $5000 buys an awful lot of gas.
Would I have one. In short at the drop of a hat and if I could have swung it my 2004 would have been one.
Another thing to think about is that the soon to arrive Mega cab will not be offered with a long bed so if you wanted that it's not a reason to wait.
Rob

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seems like the one i want is something like 43k sticker... and I dont think it has leather! Amazing.

I gather from many pics that it has chrome bumpers and grill? I really like the color matching ones...

From my calcs.. i was offered a 37k stickered car for 28k which is like 75% of the sticker... so maybe they would give me this for 31500? I think i am dreaming.

Could people who bought a diesel new give me the sticker vs actual price they got? Maybe I can do a smartbuy on it?

Kevin

·
09 HEMI
5,965 Posts
prourl said:
seems like the one i want is something like 43k sticker... and I dont think it has leather! Amazing.

I gather from many pics that it has chrome bumpers and grill? I really like the color matching ones...

From my calcs.. i was offered a 37k stickered car for 28k which is like 75% of the sticker... so maybe they would give me this for 31500? I think i am dreaming.

Could people who bought a diesel new give me the sticker vs actual price they got? Maybe I can do a smartbuy on it?

Kevin

I would not do a smartbuy because ur just paying for the truck and it will never be urs because u will later have to trade it in. In my honest opinion, its a waste of money. Instead buy it and keep it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well u wanna lend me $$$ :) 27k + tax is a bit much to finance. I dont believe in putting money down... at least at this point as my needs seem to change often. But I think this is it... so maybe.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Mine stickered at 47k... got a good deal from there. I bought it 1st of march and already have 10.2k miles on her! I love to drive it. The diesel is unparalleled. The fuel eco is decent and life expectancy is outstanding... I am never scared to hook to a trailer and i like that feeling. I pull occationally, i mostly commute if you are curious. I will pay 5k extra in a heartbeat for the diesel. I did get a good deal on it tho, and im crushing it with 0% 36 months so I can get other toys to pull behind it when I pay it off!
I strongly reccomend the diesel for someone who is gonna play hard and long with the truck.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
i got 1% over invoice because I was a recent college grad. then 1000 in rebates, had to give uo the 1500 extra cause i chose 0% for 36 months, but hey... 1500<5000+ in intrest!
out the door with taxes and plates and all the bull, 42something

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Have you calculated the difference to see how much you would save in fuel costs. If fuel savings is your ONLY reason, it will take you a very long time to make up the $5,000 difference only driving 15,000 miles per year. Depending upon where you live diesel may be higher priced and wipe out any savings you might see.

You might see a higher resale value and lower maintenance costs, but that will most likley be wiped out by the time value of money (interest paid or potentially earned on the $5,000 over the time you own the vehicle)

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Try and trade in a Hemi right now, they won't give you peanuts for it. Go and see about trading in a diesel. I paid 37K for mine (employee price) and got 34K at tradin time and it was 2 years old and 70 thousand miles. Try that with your Hemi or any other motor. Show me a Hemi that gets 18-20 MPG in the city and 24-28 MPG on the highway. Even if diesel is 2 cents more expensive you can still justify it on the fuel mileage difference. I have owned 8 new Dodges since they came out in 1994, 3 gassers and 5 diesels and would never own a gas again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow... what was sticker price on this. I mean I think I can swing it... if they can deal good. Sticker on the one i see is like 42-43... Only problem is that I can get a 2004 used hemi for like 20k.... hard to justify the extra dollars even if that much better.

Thanks kevin

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
Try and trade in a Hemi right now, they won't give you peanuts for it. Go and see about trading in a diesel. I paid 37K for mine (employee price) and got 34K at tradin time and it was 2 years old and 70 thousand miles. Try that with your Hemi or any other motor. Show me a Hemi that gets 18-20 MPG in the city and 24-28 MPG on the highway. Even if diesel is 2 cents more expensive you can still justify it on the fuel mileage difference. I have owned 8 new Dodges since they came out in 1994, 3 gassers and 5 diesels and would never own a gas again.

Since you owned 5 diesels you probably have a need. Guess you don't have a calculator either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love my diesel and would not go back. My stickered for $44800.00 with rebates I got it for $32800.00. it is well equipped with the exception of leather. Resale will definetly be higher on a diesel. Go for it!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.