DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everybody likes pics, so check them out here and then read below for more info: http://picasaweb.google.com/helevitia/IpodIntegrationInstallFor2009DodgeRamWithRERAndCenterConsole#

I ordered the Ipod integration cable last week and it finally came today. No thanks to UPS, the box was severely crushed. It looked like one of those Accordions. I open it up and the cable looked OK, so I decide to take the plunge.

First thing I notice is that the instructions show (A) The cable, and (B) A grommet. There is no grommet to be found in the box. I'm not sure if it is supposed to come with it or not. For the ram, it wants you to install the cable in the glove box and cut a 1 1/8" hole to fit the grommet. Yikes! I don't want to cut that big of a hole anywhere near my truck. Since I didn't have the grommet and I didn't want to cut a hole that big, I decided I would take the center console and instrument panel off and see what my options are.

After removing everything, I felt conflicted on where I should route the cable, so I installed the cable in the back but left it behind the instrument panel for now. After thinking about it a bit, I am going to run the cable into the center part below the instrument panel. I will make a small notch just big enough for the cable to rest on and that way I can push the cable back in out of site when needed.

So here is some quick steps:

1. Remove trim around center console (hardest part in my opinion)
2. Remove rubber insert in the front part of the console
3. Remove 1 screws under rubber insert
4. Remove housing around plug (I used a small screwdriver)
5. Remove torx screw behind housing ( I don't recall the size of the torx)
6. Remove rubber insert above instrument panel
7. Remove 2 torx screws under rubber insert
8. Pry off instrument panel.
9. Disconnect battery
10. Remove 6 plugs from back of instrument panel
11. Remove 4 radio bolts
12. Install new cable and route back through radio housing
13. Reconnect battery
13. Put radio back in and test cable before doing anything else
14. Disconnect battery again before hooking the instrument panel plugs back up.

Reverse above steps to put it back together.

BTW, it works with my iphone. At first, it would tell me that there was no music on the phone. Looks like you need to unlock the phone first and then I had to put it in airplane mode once to get it to work. Once I did that, everything worked as expected. I even made phone calls to make sure the muting and pausing worked. Bottom line is, you will always have to unlock the phone for it to work but you don't need to put it into airplane mode after the first time, not sure why.

Once I have a chance to make the notch and finish it up, I'll post more pics.

If anybody has any questions, don't hesitate to ask

·
Mojo 2
416 Posts
I'm waiting for it to warm up a little before I tear into the dash for the IPod and Lockpick install.

Question.....how sturdy was the chrome bezel around the gear shift. Is there 8 compression clips around it? I just have this fear of breaking it, so need a few more degrees outside before I really pry on it. Thanks!

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm waiting for it to warm up a little before I tear into the dash for the IPod and Lockpick install.

Question.....how sturdy was the chrome bezel around the gear shift. Is there 8 compression clips around it? I just have this fear of breaking it, so need a few more degrees outside before I really pry on it. Thanks!
It is somewhat sturdy. I honestly thought I was going to break it a couple of times. I'm not sure what the clips are called. I don't think they are called compression clips though. It looks something like this:

|\
|\
|\
|\
|_>

Each ridge stops the trim from coming up, but the bottom ridge sticks out more than the others. And yes, there is something like 8 of them. Basically you need a trim tool or equivalent to push the clip back so that you can pull up on the trim piece. I tried to take pictures of the trim piece but it was night time and my camera wouldn't get a good pic of it. Hope this helps.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The artwork is actually images from the mygig install instructions. I just thought I'd make it easier and post just the instructions for the Dodge.

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was referencing this artwork:

|\
|\
|\
|\
|_>

resourceful use of the keyboard. :D
ahh, hehe :D

Interestinly, in my current job, we need to draw things in email all the time, so I've had years of practice :)

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I finished the install and ran the cable to the center console area. I took a bunch more pictures to show you exactly what I did. Sorry, the first bunch of pictures wasn't too informative. I took close ups of the clips that hold the chrome trim piece on around the center console this time.

To finish, I drilled a 1 1/8" hole in the center storage area so that I could run the cable. I then connected my iPhone dock to it so I could just dock the iPhone and all would be good. Problem is, it appears the iPhone dock only allows power and not audio/video, bummer (it does have a line out so this makes sense that the audio/video doesn't work with the connector) :( I called one of my buddies and he has a universal iPod dock he is going to let me use. Hopefully it will communicate properly.

People ask, why connect an ipod cable if you have the hard drive? For me, it's an easy way for me to charge my phone, plus I don't have a USB stick to transfer songs. I tried through the CD/DVD player but it wouldn't copy them over from the DVD to the hard drive, so I said f*ck it and bought the cable. Also, you can control the IPod/iPhone with the radio or the steering wheel controls.

Anyway, check out the new pics. Still the same link in the first post, but here is the link again for grins:

http://picasaweb.google.com/helevitia/IpodIntegrationInstallFor2009DodgeRamWithRERAndCenterConsole#

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
Dose any one want the instruction sheet i can get it to u as well

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
very nice write up tho..

·
Mojo 2
416 Posts
I have the REN radio and am confused about which cable to get. Helevitia used the 82211853 (which the parts guy is a little confused by when I gave him that number.) I was told to get 82211263AB cable ($41.) Can anyone explain the difference? What did you pay for the 853 cable and is it just specific to the RER radio?

Toooo many questions. Thanks!

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not positive, but I think your radio doesn't come with bluetooth (uconnect for phone), correct?

If that is true, you would need to buy part# 82211878 (this the uconnect phone with ipod integration) AND the ipod interface cable part# 82211263AC.

The cable i have is just for the RER .

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
u said u have the ren right. i wanna say is ur u connect factor or u added it. i do know the rer is the only radio with the uconnect modual and satalight modual built it.but let me do a lil resurch

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI - I tried both the iPhone dock that came with the 1st gen phone and the iPod universal dock. Neither one passed the audio through the cable. Both of those docks have line outs so that is probably why.

Anybody know of a cheap ipod dock that passes the audio through the cable and not a line out port next to it?

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
dose it show its charging. i know there is a chrysler star case about having to go to apple and having them update or reconfigure the iphone to work

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
okay hears what i want you two do i was just looking around and seen the ipod kit dose not work with some levels of software in the radio. cud u go into ur radio with menu and go to system info and tell me the version i have seen some release with 1.055 but u shud have at least version 9.713. if u do there is a new version its 9.807 wich will support the iphone as well

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
jvcouger u need Part # 82210787AB - For use on models equipped with factory UConnect and 4th generation radios (RES, REQ and REN

·
2009 Ram 1500 CC Laramie
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dose it show its charging. i know there is a chrysler star case about having to go to apple and having them update or reconfigure the iphone to work
Thanks for your help hemidogg, but the iphone works great. It's only when I introduce the dock that I have problems. Yes, it charges, but you can't control the iphone or hear any music. So the problem is not the iPhone but the dock itself. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.