Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 - 4.7L

The heater has been giving me some issues. It seems to take some time to get hot. But more than that - it only blows out warm air (not real warm) when I'm accelerating or going at a constant fairly high speed (40+). As soon as I start to decelerate or if driving slow (or idling) it starts blowing cool air (not a/c just not warm).

Lastly - even when the air is hot - if I put the fan on high or one step down - it seems to cool a bit. I could understand the fan blowing at higher rates could cool it down a bit but seems like more of a difference than I would expect.

I do know I have a blend door problem as the air only comes out the front vents - never at the bottom or defrost vents.

There may be a small leak somewhere in the coolant system but not sure yet. And I did have the coolant system flushed last year - which I was hoping would clean out any junk in the core.

Any ideas? And thanks in advance

I apologize if this has been covered in another thread but I couldn't find anything.

One other thing I have noticed lately: I have found some foam insulation that has fallen out of the bottom (passenger) side of the dash, and have also seen bits come out the vents on occasion. Not sure where that's coming from yet.

·
Biggin
910 Posts
low coolant or possible a water pump that is worn out. Had it before. The vane's in the pump were worn and it wasn't moving enough volume to pump it to the heater core.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you had the same symptoms? I could understand those being possible.

What would make it warmer as the engine speed increases? Just the fact the pump is turning faster?

Also - is there a way to determine that the pump is dying? Other than an obvious leak?

thanks

·
Biggin
910 Posts
So you had the same symptoms? I could understand those being possible.

What would make it warmer as the engine speed increases? Just the fact the pump is turning faster?

Also - is there a way to determine that the pump is dying? Other than an obvious leak?

thanks
in my mustang once yeah.

as the rpm increases it's bound to move more water than at idle with worn or clogged vanes.

As far as checking the pump? About the only way was the amount of water swirling in the radiator when you take the cap off and the thermostat is open. Risk a burn that way though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update...

I did find that the system was leaking slowly. So after topping off the coolant it heated better.

But...... a few days after I posted this - I stepped on my accelerator pretty hard (to pass someone) and the radiator blew (the leak was apparently on the radiator).

Anyway - got the radiator replaced - so far the heat seems ok.

Still have the problem of 1 or more broken blend doors - I only get air blowing out of the dash vents - nowhere else.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.