DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help Guys. I have a 02 Caravan, 3.3L Flex,139k miles. Great Vehicle, up till now. 4 weeks ago it bogged down on freeway and eventually shut off.Check engine light was on. Had it towed to a Cert. Mech. He said it needed a "major" tune-up and I said go ahead. His invoice said he replaced: Coilpak, plugs, plug wires, Cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel filter. It still didn't run right and he suggested a PCM replacement. After choking on the estimate, I paid his invoice, and decided to let Mech #2 have a crack at it.He also replaced the coil pak again. He actually replaced the PCM with a "rebuilt" one and replaced a PCV valve also. It is running OK, BUT....at a complete stop,after driving it, it will misfire. 3-6 times. It doesnt do it when driving, only at idle when in gear,and there is no check engine light on. I'm trying to sell this , so I can recoupe the $1200 it cost me to fix, but it misfires very randomly, I don't know where to go next.....Any gurus out there?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like the first mechanic just guessed at the problem and decided to replace ALL the "common" problem parts. Too bad.. most were probably still good.

Another trouble spot is the injector harness. This can cause the symtoms you descridbe as well. It is known, due to being routed along the right end of the engine as you face the van, for cracked and melted insulation. There is a kit available for this, or you can check and replair each wire that you find with cracked isulation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what it's called. I think it's just the plug on the end and you rebuild the harness from there. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the injector harness is not available separately, but as a part of the underhood harness.

Before you go ahead and buy anything, make sure that the harness is the culprit. There is a cover on the wires. Cut it back and inspect the wires first. It might only be one or 2 wires, which you can easily repair, or maybe just tape them up if the conductor isn't broken.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There probably is a thread here about this, but this is one from another mini-van forum.

Melted injector wiring

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the misfiring ONLY happened after the mechanic did his job, it could be something as simple as incorrect spark plug wiring placement... Anything aftermarket isn't numbered and can easily be confused.

·
Registered
584 Posts
if plug wires were incorrectly installed, the problem wouldn't be so intermittent and random.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone that help me on this. It was the wiring harness for the injectors!!! Bought the kit from dodge for 49$ and took my time...but that was it! Thanks again everyone.(BTW Sold it today for $3800)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks to everyone that help me on this. It was the wiring harness for the injectors!!! Bought the kit from dodge for 49$ and took my time...but that was it! Thanks again everyone.(BTW Sold it today for $3800)
I called the local Dodge dealer to get one of those Injector Harnesses but they were saying it was $365.

Do you have the part number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is not the whole harness. It is a fix-it kit. With plug ends and about two feet of the wire bundle. I'll look for the number. Good luck!
Found it in this thread.
The Chrysler part number for the 10 pin connector harness repair kit is 05017114AA.
If you google for a price, use 05017114AA or drop the first zero and use 5017114AA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the misfiring ONLY happened after the mechanic did his job, it could be something as simple as incorrect spark plug wiring placement... Anything aftermarket isn't numbered and can easily be confused.
BIG...Thankyou for that tid-bit of info....exactly what my problem was after replacing plugs and wires (wires however were numbered , just sloppy on my part....anyway thanks saved me a lot of grief...........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.