DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought some LED's for my over head console, and dome light. they look sweet!!

problem: my overhead console LED's will not turn on and off unless the dome light is lit up. meaning either the doors are open or i manually turn on the dome light with the switch. only then can i turn on and off the overhead console lights. they look good though haha

will try and take pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cool, I've been looking at doing this myself. Let's see some pics!

·
Taste Adder Guy
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9l motor
1,214 Posts
Sweet. I put some 5mm green LED's in a few strategic spots in my cab. I like it. I've been considering swapping out the dome and console lights for LED's.

I'm skeptical as to how bright they would be compared to my stock bulbs.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MJ5150 said:
Sweet. I put some 5mm green LED's in a few strategic spots in my cab. I like it. I've been considering swapping out the dome and console lights for LED's.

I'm skeptical as to how bright they would be compared to my stock bulbs.

-Mike

lol, ok its midnight buy ya convinced me here are some pics

i ordered my LED's the same colors but the dome is more white than the overhead console.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Awesome! Is that one single LED in each place? Or is it a cluster of LED's?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cruceno2001 said:
Awesome! Is that one single LED in each place? Or is it a cluster of LED's?
they are a small cluster of about 5 or 6 each... forgot exactly

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
The map lights have two separate ground circuits. One is opened and closed by the 'puter. It's the one that turns them on and off with the doors, headlamp dimmer switch, and when you lock and unlock with the remote. The other ground is the one that's active when you turn each lamp on or off. Make sure you have both grounds hooked up still.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
I've got to ask. Is this mod a plug and play or is there some wiring that needs to be done?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mopar fan said:
I've got to ask. Is this mod a plug and play or is there some wiring that needs to be done?:dunno:

these are simply plug and play. doesnt get anymore simple than that. take your old bulbs out, put in the new led bulbs. done.

heres the link.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html

the ones that fit both the dome light and overhead console are the 42x11 mm. so you dont have to measure.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Albert1500 said:
these are simply plug and play. doesnt get anymore simple than that. take your old bulbs out, put in the new led bulbs. done.

heres the link.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html

the ones that fit both the dome light and overhead console are the 42x11 mm. so you dont have to measure.
Thanks! However I'm quite sure my console and dome light takes different bulbs. Your 04 takes the same bulb in both the console and dome light?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mopar fan said:
Thanks! However I'm quite sure my console and dome light takes different bulbs. Your 04 takes the same bulb in both the console and dome light?

well the stock ones are not really the same size. i measured them.

when i oreded the led ones. i got the 39x10 mm for the overhead console, and 42x11 on the dome light. i put the 42x11 on the overhead console and they fit perfect, actually a better fit than when its on the dome light. but it still holds up on the dome light.

so i'm not going to buy new 42x11's just for the overhead. so i just put what i bought for them. the 39x10. still work good.

if you think yours arent the same. just take them out and measure them. you be the judge of which size you need.

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Ok, thanks. I'm pretty sure my dome light takes the wedge type bulb, but now I need to check..

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mopar fan said:
Ok, thanks. I'm pretty sure my dome light takes the wedge type bulb, but now I need to check..

no prob. but i really doubt they are wedge mount ones. dont see why they would be different

·
Registered
32,962 Posts
Albert1500 said:
no prob. but i really doubt they are wedge mount ones. dont see why they would be different
Well this is what I pulled off the Sylvania website for an 03 Ram. I guess my o3 is different.

Map light
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
212-2

Dome light

·
Taste Adder Guy
1,214 Posts
Thank you for the pics. I am so going to do this. Many thanks as well for the added info on bulb size, and links.

So how many LED's did you buy all together? I'm thinking you need one for each side of the console, and one for the dome light for a total of three. Is that right? All I need to buy are the 42's?

-Mike

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mopar fan said:
Well this is what I pulled off the Sylvania website for an 03 Ram. I guess my o3 is different.

Map light
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
212-2

Dome light

hahaha, thats crap. i just checked mine on the website too and it says the same thing. just check for yourself. take them out.

i'm sure you'll be ordering the 42x11 mm

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MJ5150 said:
Thank you for the pics. I am so going to do this. Many thanks as well for the added info on bulb size, and links.

So how many LED's did you buy all together? I'm thinking you need one for each side of the console, and one for the dome light for a total of three. Is that right? All I need to buy are the 42's?

-Mike

yup, 3 bulbs.. the 42's will fit the overhead perfect and the dome a lil lose but, just close the little mount brackets with your fingers and it will fit in snug. no problem

·
Taste Adder Guy
1,214 Posts
Albert1500 said:
yup, 3 bulbs.. the 42's will fit the overhead perfect and the dome a lil lose but, just close the little mount brackets with your fingers and it will fit in snug. no problem
Nice. I'm going to go order them right now. Thanks again for dropping some knowledge on us this morning.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MJ5150 said:
Nice. I'm going to go order them right now. Thanks again for dropping some knowledge on us this morning.

-Mike

nooooo problem, thats what its all about :)

1 - 20 of 323 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.