DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im a new member here with a 1980 D-150 Adventurer.

Ive been wondering about the interchangeability of rims from a newer dodge ram(2002-2011) onto a 72-80.

Also wondering if the door panels from a 81-93 will interchange with the ones on my 80.

Thanks!

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
Don't know about the door panels....but....

I can tell you that you can get newer style Dodge wheels on older.

Depending upon your truck, depends upon what you need to do.

I acquired 2007 Dakota 5 lug aluminum wheels and 1st adapted them to an 87 Ram and looked great until the lower control arm seperated from the K frame.

I then bought my '76 D-100 and eventually those wheels went on it.

The problem: Newer Dodge rims and 85+ Dodges are 5 bolts on 5-1/2". The Problem is that they will not bolt on Mid 80's because the hole on the hub for the older Dodges is bigger than the wheels on the newer holes. Many have had a machine shop bore out the center hole and they fit, but many times the center cap has clearance issues with the Dust cover.

The 72-early 80's have a bolt pattern of 5 lugs on 4-1/2" and aside from that they share similiar clearance issues regarding the bearing dust cap clearance.

Also the new Dodge rims have a different offset which bolted directly into the hub or rear axle puts the inside of the tire real close to the frame, and a heavily loaded (to one side) will have a tire rub on the frame in the back (don't ask how I know).

The easy quick easy solution: You need 1.25" inch thick adapters. They sell them on E-bay to fit your application. either from 5 on 5.5 to 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5.

Example of a set on E-bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Lug-4-5-5...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6a22ee86

They bolt on nicely and solve both issues of clearance and offset.

Before you buy all 4, check to make sure you have 5 on 4.5 all the way around. I thought I did, and apparantly a previous owner swapped in a newer axle on the back with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I bought (4) 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5 adapters and turns out I only needed two and now have two extra. If you decided to go this route and want to buy some, I'll sell you my two extra ones for 50 bucks. They are brand new (well sorta - I tryed to put them on the truck).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the solution would be to get adapters that go from 4.5 to 5.5?

im just tossing the idea around in my head right now. my truck currently has the stock steel wheels with some dog dish's from a '68 plymouth

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
yes. that is the quick painless easy way to do it.

Worked like a charm for me...well except if i had known I had 5 on 5.5 on the back i woulda only bought 2 5 on 4.5's. But looks like you would need 4 and the rims will bolt on to that - no problems. They acutally fit the outside of the tire just inside of the fenders so they look nice and full in there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for the info! and if i do end up wanting to put some newer rims on my truck ill let ya know!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright....to add to the rim confusion, ive found that rims off a Intrepid/newer Charger are also 5x4.5 does anyone know if the back spacing on these car rims would be to much to fit in my stock wheelwells??

I want Bigger/better looking wheels on my truck, but dont want the dorky "gangster" or crappy aftermarket look :D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
door panels will fit but if they are full panels you'll have to drill some holes in the lower door. not a big deal. i went that route

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.