DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D100 Custom
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 1977 D100 and have a 1979 or could be a 1980 D150 for parts, hopefully!
To begin with are the front fenders and doors interchangeable between the two? I have looked at them both pretty closely and am almost 99% positive they will.
So just checking with those more knowledgeable here to be sure before I start pulling pieces.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might find this hard to believe but I think every body panel from trucks between 1972 and 1993 will interchange. That's what I was told and seems to be true. Look at the cover of the most recent LMC truck catalog for proof. That's a '91.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Working on a 1977 D100 and have a 1979 or could be a 1980 D150 for parts, hopefully!
To begin with are the front fenders and doors interchangeable between the two? I have looked at them both pretty closely and am almost 99% positive they will.
So just checking with those more knowledgeable here to be sure before I start pulling pieces.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
You might be okay between those two years but I'm pretty sure 81 and up the doors and fenders are a little bit different. I don't think the gaps will line up between the front fender and the door if you interchange one for the other. As in a 1980 door may not fit with a 1981 fender. Well the lower main body line will line up the gap may be different... If you look at pictures of an 81 truck the lip going around the front and rear fenders is a lot smaller like about maybe an inch at the most where the older 80 to 72 that body line that goes around the fenders is about 3 in or so... I'm pretty positive 79 down to 72 are all the same. Now the front core support change from 76 to 77 because the turn signals went up in the grill in 77 and 72 to 76 and turn signals are down in the front Dallas. And there's different things in the core support to support all that as well. Well they'll fit each other they're not exactly the same. Also the 72 to 74 doors on the inner panels they connect with screws that go around underneath the chrome while 75 and up all clip on with clips... on the outside of the door you'll notice the 77 is a slight indentation around the outer door handle...
A 72 to 74 generally had a divorce transfer case on the four-wheel drive where the 75 to 79 had an all-time four-wheel drive with a married transfer case...

·
Registered
68 Posts
You might find this hard to believe but I think every body panel from trucks between 1972 and 1993 will interchange. That's what I was told and seems to be true. Look at the cover of the most recent LMC truck catalog for proof. That's a '91.
No that's not correct...

·
Registered
49 Posts
No that's not correct...
My apology. I'm really glad there's more knowledgeable people to get it right. That sucks if I spread misinformation. However, I must tell you I'm about to finish a many-year resto-mod of a 1977 D200 crew cab. It has body parts from trucks that span all different years, and while there has been some fitment problems, they were easily overcome. And yes, body lines matched up pretty darn good between my '77 cab and 80's-ish bed. I'd love to show pictures but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I'm an old, technically challenged guy. I'll study on that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My apology. I'm really glad there's more knowledgeable people to get it right. That sucks if I spread misinformation. However, I must tell you I'm about to finish a many-year resto-mod of a 1977 D200 crew cab. It has body parts from trucks that span all different years, and while there has been some fitment problems, they were easily overcome. And yes, body lines matched up pretty darn good between my '77 cab and 80's-ish bed. I'd love to show pictures but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I'm an old, technically challenged guy. I'll study on that.
Don't get me wrong many many parts will interchange.. they all have the same front windshield.. I think the front inner fender walls only have an extra flap in the '80s on the back of them. And pretty much everything will bolt up but you might have to use all of one year truck and not mix and match. Again if he is a mid-80s front fender and the door they would match and fit on and I believe that 81 and up door is a little shorter so there would be a gap if you use a '70s fender. But if you use an '80s fender a 70s door would probably hit the fender. Again the main body line will line up from the cab to the bed. But if you put a '70s cab on a mid-80s truck with its own bed the fender well lips would be different.. .
Here you can see the 1985 fenderwell lip is kind of thin and then the picture of the 1975 fender well it's about 2 in fatter going around the wheel..
Also I'll post a picture of a 1977 door handle and you'll see the indentation around the handle. And 1976 and earlier they didn't have this...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Now as far as inner door panels go they all will let the window crank and door handle lineup but they change in the earlier years. Again they fit in the sense that they go in the right place but they're attachments may need to be drilled to switch one from the other. And the first picture of the 72 to 74 you can see the chrome ring around the door panel and there's screws underneath the chrome that hold the panel to the door. Also the armrest is small and they are side specific as they are shaped specific for each side.
On the 75 and up inner door while the door handles and window cranks are in the same place you can see there's no chrome ring and they're held on by snaps on the back and the armrest goes the whole length of the door pull and our interchangeable from one side to the other because they are symmetrical... Both these doors tend to crack from the door pull down because they're plastic fiberglass kind of material and over the years from pulling the door closed crack...
Last picture is a much more or less common inner door.. I believe it's a 72 to 74 1 ton.. you can see it has screws where the chrome would be with no chrome and it has a different style door handle and a different little pad. On one hand the door panel never cracks because it's metal but that little pad has a tendency to break off because it's so small and the door is so big. Many times I've seen where that pad is just replaced by a metal handle to pull the door shut...

I've actually have a set of the 1 ton inner door panels the pads and the handles that I plan to powder coat for my upcoming truck build..

·
Registered
1977 Dodge D100 Custom
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information guys! Have began the switch over yesterday...gutted the interior and swapped over the passenger door from the 1980 to my 1977, all good! Went on great, gaps all good and body lines all perfect.
There is a 1984 cab with doors that I did check and yes there is an extra body line.
The top line that fades into the door is the same and the bottom that comes off the fender line is the same but they added an extra one 6 1/4 inch down from the top line.
Interior wish the door panels are definitely different, the '77 has more curve to the raised area for the armrest while the '90 has a squarish profile...plus an extra door pull strap at the top. Which is also the same on the '84 door panel.
Anyways have begun the project and will I'm sure be coming onto the form in future with more queries.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys! Have began the switch over yesterday...gutted the interior and swapped over the passenger door from the 1980 to my 1977, all good! Went on great, gaps all good and body lines all perfect.
There is a 1984 cab with doors that I did check and yes there is an extra body line.
The top line that fades into the door is the same and the bottom that comes off the fender line is the same but they added an extra one 6 1/4 inch down from the top line.
Interior wish the door panels are definitely different, the '77 has more curve to the raised area for the armrest while the '90 has a squarish profile...plus an extra door pull strap at the top. Which is also the same on the '84 door panel.
Anyways have begun the project and will I'm sure be coming onto the form in future with more queries.
Also let us know what you find as far as other differences and thank you for checking in...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, this all good information. Glad you all shared this. I'll be completing my '77 Frankenstein hopefully by Fall.

·
Registered
49 Posts
1977 D200 with a 1 ton axle: Did I just add images? Wow, there is hope for me. The black is satin and the blue is flat. You either love it(younger people) or hate it(Old people). At least that's what I'm finding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks 74w! I'm going all out but the cost keeps escalating. I plan to sell so there's money for the next project(1973 Dart). Also it takes up so much space that I badly need. It's a behemoth.

BTW, watch for my next upcoming thread. I have a lower radiator block-off splash shield but can't figure out where it goes. Need help with this thing. I need it for cooling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks 74w! I'm going all out but the cost keeps escalating. I plan to sell so there's money for the next project(1973 Dart). Also it takes up so much space that I badly need. It's a behemoth.

BTW, watch for my next upcoming thread. I have a lower radiator block-off splash shield but can't figure out where it goes. Need help with this thing. I need it for cooling.
73 Dart? You might like my 73 Duster...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well of course I love that. Specs on that engine? More pics please? I'd like to see the whole car. Show car or street/strip? Nice!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well of course I love that. Specs on that engine? More pics please? I'd like to see the whole car. Show car or street/strip? Nice!!
We would need to start a different thread LOL..
I did find something new (to me) in door interchangeably.... I ended up getting two 75 doors and they both had holes for the 72-74 inner door panels AND 75 & up inner door panels...?..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts