DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you already know im working on RAM air. I got a few questions for ya guys. Maybe you can help me here.

My intake tube gets hot after a good 30 mile trip in 90 degree weather, guess I didn't drive it far enogh the other night. Any how I know from working in a machine shop that aluminum get hot fast,My 3 inch tube is aluminum,
therfor it gets hot.I cant be having that. Plastic, or even steel dont get as hot as fast as the aluminum.What do you recomend I make it out of now?

Second, is there a special filter for a ram air intake? I got the room now to build an air box where the battery used to be.

Third, if I do build an air box i will need some feed back on a Design,maybe
someone knows about directing air to maximize flow.Do I want a straight thru
flow or do I want to design it where the air box has some fins in it to divert the air flow using the whole filter not just a spot as opposed to the straight
thru design? Help me out fellas

There you have it see what you can do with it. LOL

I may be nutz but after getting the cold air in and switching to synthetic oil the car does seem a little more eager to get down and go. But I may be crazy!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Honestly I have no idea what you are trying to do. :huh:

Did you cut your cowl to run an intake from below your windshield to your TB? Or are you trying to direct air from your grill to your TB?

Got any pics?

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok sorry! Ez I am getting my cold air from the front bumper. No I dont have any pics yet! the air inlet is inside the bottom opening on the lower drivers side of the bumper.
It runs into where the battery tray was and snuggs up aginst the coned in part of the APC cone filter.It's mostly 3 inch tube and a few peices of my old snorkel tube.
Hope this tells you what you needed to know.

·
Registered
890 Posts
hmmmm..... Actually what you are doing sounds like a pain in the rear, and I'm not so certain you'll get as much benefit out of it as you think you would.

My intake actually sits lower than my bumper, so I guess you could call that "ram-air" if you wanted. LOL

If you look at the pic below, and look directly in front of the front tire, you can see something sticking down. That's my air filter. I hacked off the front of the batter tray and ran it straight down.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Hi acr.
Why not leave your alum. piping there and encase it in heat resistant wrapping? (Often used on race cars). Theres one quick idea anyway!

I agree that you prob won't get a "ram" air effect the way ur set up.
I have done the same as EZ, and have my intake like his but with the filter in the air box rather than at the end of the intake tube as his is.

If you ever did work out a way of ram air with an air box you would want to look at building some fins in the air box to spin the air.
Just like a bottle of water is faster to empty by creating a vortex so should it work with the cold air as gas and liquid work the same!

Good luck mate!

Seeya

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright alright, My intake is exactly like EZ's ran straight down below the battery tray..
It don't however stick down as far as his.I have a daily driver and that low would not be suitable for me in my state and area I live.

You know where the battery thermo duflicky connects to the front clip, That hole, I made bigger and put a tube thru it to the holes in the lower part of the air dam. That section of pipe which is lower than the bumper runs back and snuggs up aginst the air filter its self, This is what I meant by ramming air into the filter not exactly Ram air but close.ARE WE ON THE SAME PAGE NOW!

Thank you Hoodoo for the answer about the vortex, that is what I was exactly the answer I am looking for. Do you know where I could find an info site on how exactlly they
work so I can build one myself. Im gonna try to show you with an old pic and my paint program..

I seen this set up before but with no filter and he claimed that it helped his ET's I dont know if he's still around but it was at www.neonrick.com he was from fla. I think.

Check out the picture and then Voice me your oppinion ance again, now that youll see exactlly what Im cooking up here.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
hmmmm..... Do you have an actual picture of it? I think I can see what you are trying to do, and I can see why it might slightly cooler, but it seems like you're restricting the air flow. :dunno

That's a normal cone filter right?

·
Registered
890 Posts
OK, I just looked at his site and saw what you are talking about. After looking at it I honestly don't see you getting much out of it for the effort put in. He said he gained .01 in the 1/8th mile, but gained 1.5 mph. What he failed to mention was the difference in temp, humidity, and track conditions. Also notice he did not use any filter at all. It's a track only setup. I think if he put his filter as low as mine is he would have had the same results.

Now if you were extremely eager to make something like this work, I would use a normal CAI setup, like the first pic, then build the part in the second pic to direct more air to the filter.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the set up I am working on. THe filter I have is open around the sides and also open in the front where the fresh air tube connects. I cannot be restricting the flow with the sides of the filter open as well as the front where I have my fresh air inlet. the Gains weren't all that great but it had some gains like we said without the filter.On a race only setup.He drives his car home after the races but installs his evryday filter to do so. I may not get BOOST but I am getting alot more fresh cool air, and that has to be better for the car than the stale air it was getting from under the hood.
Now if I could create an air box with a Vortex effect, and get a better effect I will do so.But that is up for discussion now. The vortex effect gets the air to circulate better thru the box and to the intake but would it be better than what I am crrently running on my car? THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Personally I think the small amount of "fresh" air being diverted into the front of the filter wouldnt unfortunately do much at all. Sorry!.
Cone filters drag most of the air from the side walls of the filter.
There is way more surface area from the side walls compared to the front of the cone.
Remember a vortex ideally is only suited to a round pipe or space.
If you tried to make a vortex generator for a square air box I think it would create turbulance and lose its effect.
I would install a vortex generator like the "tornado" in the intake piping just before the tb. To get anywhere near the ram effect you want I would also look at installing something like the e-ram electric unit (just for a test! - You never know!).
Also be careful not to create too much of a scoop in your front fender so that when it rains you suck in water in the air aswell.
Cheers guys

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are right about the filter getting most air from the open sides,It lets in a good amount of air,the main thing is it's getting plenty of the fresh air and not from under the hood. I cant see any intake on a N/A motor really doing much of anything for a any car, other than cooling off the intake air.Like I said were looking for cool air not a boost.I am sure tho that at 70 mph it is cramming fresh air into the filter.

You all may or may not belive the car runns better in 4th gear and 5th, but frankly I dont give a shit! I know that it does becouse I drive it everyday.I really drive it!
It's not the fastest neon in the world but it sure putts the hurtin on a v-6.

ANother thing I thought about was, cooling fins! Why not have finns on the outside of the intake tube, like cooling fins on an amplifier.Would this keep the tube cooler, seems to me it would. Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Cooling fins would not cool the intake charge. Heat always transfers from high to low. So all you'd be doing is making more surface area on the intake tube to transfer more heat from the engine bay to the air charge.

A "vortex" is a cool idea - for my 1987 Grand Wagoneer. However, a vortex does not travel around corners (how many 90+ degree bends do you have between the TB and the intake valve?), nor does it magically split into four vortexes in the plenum into your intake runners. It baffles me how people fall for that Tornado crap. I've been to their site and watched their promotional stuff. With my engineering background, I don't know whether to be offended or disgusted...

·
Registered
890 Posts
The air isn't in the tube long enough to cool or heat for that matter.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK! Just a few thoughts I have had, Glad to have em all shot down! LOL

So were does this leave me, BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD! I really like the fresh air set up that I have going and I "think" that it is a nice extention to the CAI. I think everyone will agree that it's a good source of cool FRESH air,and that at interstate speeds it really crams some air in. It dont cram it to the T/B and intake but it sure putts a good shot into the filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.