DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do my intake gasket on my 98' 1500 with the 360. A guy told me that you need to replace the valley pan, and the bolts or it will just leak agian in a few months. Is this true or can i just slap on the gasket kit and be done?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Replace the bellypan gasket and you don't have to replace the bolts... A little rtv around the intake ports(lightly)

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
yes, in the corners of the block(middle of intake valley but on the casting in front and back where bellypan bolts up), scrape the old rtv off and apply a small amount under the bellypan bolt and bolt plate and in the immediate corners on each side, also a little bit around the intake ports, to make sure you have no intake leaks. Just make sure when you drop the intake on it is sealed properly to get all the old rtv off and torque to specs. This is how i do it and have never had a problem

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
98bigblue said:
I'm looking to do my intake gasket on my 98' 1500 with the 360. A guy told me that you need to replace the valley pan, and the bolts or it will just leak agian in a few months. Is this true or can i just slap on the gasket kit and be done?
I assume your talking about the plenum gasket ...aka...belly pan gasket. Use this thread as a guide. It's a great write-up.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150423&highlight=plenum+gasket

Get a full kit from Hughes. http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11698 The bolts to hold the gasket pan on comes in the kit. Spend the extra few bucks and get new bolts to hold down your intake. They are torque to yield (TTY) bolts. They should NOT be reused. You don't want to do this job twice. Do it once and do it right.

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
Click on the link to the DT thread I posted. Then click on the link to the Word doc at the end of the post #1. You'll see some pics of the belly pan. The stock metal pan is made of steel. You intake is aluminum. They cool and heat at different rates so they expand and contract at different rates. The metal pan warps. That causes the gasket to leak. The gasket they put in there tears. You need to replace the metal pan. Since the intake is aluminum it only makes sense to use an aluminum pan. That's where the hughes kit comes in. It's the best around. Countless guys in here including myself have used it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.