DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first I would like to say hello. I'm a long time reader, first time poster and a recent Avenger R/T owner.

I sell American Spec Chrysler family vehicles in Japan and as a dealer I just had to buy the '08 Avenger that showed up on my lot. I love it. Great power for a V6, great handling... so long as you aren't backing into a parking spot here in Japan... The hard lines and aggressive front end are what sold me, though.

My real question for you all is this... What can I do about the intake and the exhaust. I've found plenty of performance parts for the 2.4L 4CYL but nothing for the R/T except a lowering kit and a Jet chip... Not getting a chip before I do something with intake and exhaust. I've seen a few homemade intakes and I am really impressed by the mod you guys did to the air box. Way to go on removing the useless baffles. But does anyone know of an open box air filter that can be used to fit? If so, what part number and what company? Or how about an exhaust set that fits? I've heard Borla makes one that can be used to fit...

The real problem I'm having is finding the parts that will fit over here... I don't want to spend a horrible amount on shipping something over here to me if its not going to work for this car...

So any help would be great.

I'll also be putting up some pics over the next few days. I've got some decent vinyl work and have added a nice set of Halo running lights. The vinyl is temporary. I'm going to leave it on there for another month or so and if I still really enjoy it I'll have it removed and get a matching paint job. That is one thing that I can have done over here... the paint work is really high quality and very cheap.

Ride on!

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
ModernMuscle, welcome to DT. Here's a thread that has 2 flavors of intake mods, depending upon what part you are working on. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189041
As for exhaust stuff, I'm not sure, but some Caliber things should work. I think my wife's car will be getting a Flowmaster in the future...

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Welcme to DT, sorry that I'm no help though

·
FSTDANGO 3
512 Posts
Hey Welcome aboard
My wifes Avenger RT AWD will be gettin an exhaust soon
If noone ends up mass producing system we will end up with something custom from cat back

·
2,355 Posts
Hey ModernMuscle, did ya try any intake mods? I can tell you the Avenger will now get up to 37 on the highway. The wife and I went about 440 miles on a tank, and I started getting scared because we were in the middle of Nevada, and gas stations are spread far apart...so we filled up. That tank was 36.9. I am thinking a muffler is next.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awd

Ya the AWD seems to have been lost in the shuffle. I would have considered it if I lived in a area that snowed or I was on unimproved roads.

·
One Low SXT
155 Posts
I just recently installed a K&N Intake on my girlfriend's '08 R/T. Sounds 10x better and runs like a beast now. As for exhaust, we are looking at either the Mopar or Borla full exhaust systems. The only thing holding us back are the prices...

·
2,355 Posts
My plan is to buy a Flowmaster 40 series and bolt it in to replace the factory muffler. Will need a couple extra pipe pieces though to finish to job...

·
2,355 Posts

·
One Low SXT
155 Posts
well i put the K&N intake on my RT. MASSIVE GAINS! Sounds a ton better too. I believe K&N actually makes 2 or 3 intakes for the 3.5. Ebay has a load of intakes but they are mostly generic. only about 1/4 of them are K&N or name brand. Mopar makes a cold air intake. AEM might make an intake. As far as exhaust goes, Borla makes an exhaust, Mopar makes an exhaust which is cheaper than the Borla (but im told that Borla actually makes all of the Mopar exhausts. So really its the Borla exhaust with the Mopar name on it). There is a company called Zoomers and they used to make an exhaust but I dont know if they still do.
Now what I looking at doing to my exhaust, Im probably just going to cut out the factory mufflers and resonaters and replace them with Borla components, or Magnaflow components, and just leave the stock piping for now. Or I could just up the size of the piping about 1/4" and that would help alot.

no doubt the avenger rt is an amazing car! extremely fast, and noone expects it! give me a hollar if you have anymore questions.

·
2,355 Posts
I did some searching today after talking with someone at the Auto hobby shop. He told me Greddy and Magnaflow both make exhausts for the Avenger, but I could not find a Greddy system, even at their site. I did find systems from Borla and Magnaflow:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/exhaust_system/dodge/avenger.html
One thing of note is any cat-back will require cutting and welding. There is a clamped connection down the line, close to the rear end (axle in lesser cars). The bends look okay, but they do pinch the pipe a little. Here is a better picture of the Magnaflow exhaust: http://www.carid.com/product.php?productid=90817&cat=143974&page=1

I also saw that K&N makes a cold air intake. http://www.raceinspired.com/cs-18-cold-air-intakes.aspx I was musing about making my own like some folks here, and using the blocked off rectangle next to the fog light as the inlet. Just got to avoid deep water with that setup.
Does anyone have a preference for a drop in panel filter? I have not changed ours yet, but I figure it needs to come out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.