DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bull bar today and i went to install it and i cant get the bolts off. I sprayed wd40 on them and let it sit for a few minutes and got a hand ratchet and i couldnt get any of them to move.

What did you use to install your bull bar?

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I think you are talking about the bolts that attach the tow hooks as well?! They are a known problem to come loose and out! I think you need a Impact Wrench! There are threads that describe that problem, bunch of Guys ended up going to the Dealer to have them removed.

I tried to remove my tow hooks and gave up!

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mite go to homedepot to get a air wrench to try that. If that doesnt work i mite have to take it to the dealer to remove the bolt and put the bracket on for me.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a air impact wrench and that wouldnt do anything when i put it on the bolt. Could be the one i got is too small.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I would think you need a fairly big impact wrench and a large compressor! The little 1.5 HP won't do it!

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figures, well ill guess ill have to call around to find someone to install it for me. I know my local dodge dealer wont do it.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
i wonder if you could go to a local tire shop and see if they can do it for you. Worth the try.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called belle tire and they said they wont do it. I found one shop that will do it for $90-100.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
thats crazy! :VHOT: even just to loosen the bolts for you at least. and you do the rest. i say take the bumper cover off, get a jack stand get you a 1/2 inch breaker bar with socket raise jack to hold breaker bar and get a heavy duty pipe as a cheater pipe. that will do it. unless you know some one in the construction industry that has access to air.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to see if one of my dads friends at the michigan jeep office do it for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Find the thread on how to do it. It gives you all the tools you need plus hints on how to get it done easier. You need an allen wrench for the top of the bolt,dont know the size off hand . Plus a piece of 2x4 to protect the radiator Also need another person to hold allen wrench while cranking on the bolt. I did mine, took about an hour or so.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
THANKS for the ADVICE!! helps to have good buddies on here

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got D Hemi! said:
Find the thread on how to do it. It gives you all the tools you need plus hints on how to get it done easier. You need an allen wrench for the top of the bolt,dont know the size off hand . Plus a piece of 2x4 to protect the radiator Also need another person to hold allen wrench while cranking on the bolt. I did mine, took about an hour or so.
Can you still take the bolt off without using the allel wrench?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
No as the bolt will just spin.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to that shop to have them install the bull bar and when i got there they said they dont do it. Guy i talked to was wrong, go figure. Looks like this project is dead in the water, i guess ill be selling my bull bar on ebay.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found a shop that does everything and they were able to get the bolts off and installed the bull bar. I noticed they didnt install it right. So i had to redo it when i got home and now it looks way better. $150 for bar, $200 for install.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Where did you get a bullbar for $150?

·
Troubleshooter
1,516 Posts
post pics of the new mod, I'd like to see it especially after you chased halfway across the world (seemingly) to find someone/someway to do it.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ill post some pictures of it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.