DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..i have a couple of questions... first off..do i need to do anything w/ the battery before i try to install the new deck? do i need to take a wire off?? also, can anyone please direct me to a site that can show me how to take the OEM deck out??? thanks so much in advance..

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery terminal, that avoids any sparking problems.
What year is the truck?
if it is a 2002-2005 then remove the screw by the hook on the passenger side, then remove the whole center surround,then 4 screw to remove the radio.
Most places, even wally world, have the harnesses to mate to an aftermarket set up.
HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 Ram stereo removal/install

This is pretty simple. Remove the screw behind the little hook on the lower right side of center dash console. Going from right to left, slowly pull the center console straight away from the dash. It should pop out pretty easily. Now remove the 4 screws holding the stock radio in place.
To install an aftermarket headunit you will need an install kit/frame, wire harness adaptor, and antenna lead adaptor. I used the metra 99-6504 install kit/frame, metra 70-6502 harness adaptor, and an antenna adaptor picked up from a local car audio dealer. The metra items you can get from circuit city, etc. or online.
They recommend that you disconnect the negative battery cable, but I find that in this type of install it really isn't necessary, since you're just unplugging the harness from the stock unit and plugging it in to the new harness adaptor. (Make sure you do all of your aftermarket harness to harness adaptor wire connections outside of the vehicle and leave no wire exposed). I'll post some pics here. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
songho79 said:
hey guys..i have a couple of questions... first off..do i need to do anything w/ the battery before i try to install the new deck? do i need to take a wire off?? also, can anyone please direct me to a site that can show me how to take the OEM deck out??? thanks so much in advance..
Hey brother is your system an Infinity one? If it is it may be a big problem to get the speakers to work. I had that system in mine(it's an 05' so it may be different) and I had to re wire all of the speakers and totally unhook the factory amp. I am not sure if it is just 05's or not though, good luck bro.

·
Registered
24 Posts
THANK GUYS cause this thread just saved me $77.00 cause i was going to pay best buy to install a wired fm modulator for my aftermarket sirius sat receiver cause it was so staticky and it looked hard than 5 screws total

after reading this it literally took me ten minutes for the whole thing including clean up

What a great read YOU GUYS ROCK :rck:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.