DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an 02 ram 1500 quad with factory tow package, it has both plugs in back 4prong wires and 7 prong in bumper, trans cooler so on, i need to install a break controller for towing my new tractor (aprox 4000lbs), i looked under dash and see a blue 4 prong flat plug above the emergency break peddel which i am assuming is where i plug in the controller after that is there any other wireing i need to do (like power for controller) or is that it, i've seen controllers on line and they say besides the controller i also need a seperat part which seems to be some kind of wire plug for an extra $65. also any recomendations on what type controller to get and any other recomendations on what else i might do to help her tow better?? Thanks

·
I'd rather be riding...
613 Posts
This is something that I am interested in too. Same setup you have with the factory tow package already installed, just need the trailer brake controller but have no idea what I need to get.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have an 06 2500 ctd, so this may not completely apply. When I purchased my controller I also bought the correct wiring harness for my truck made by the same people that made the controller. From there it was simply plug and play.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old post but that blue plug will power the controller as well. Just buy the harness, plug it in to the blue slot and to the back of the controller. It will power up and work as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 05 Quad Cab, I installed brake controller. I plugged into the blue plug under the dash but my trailer brakes didn't work. The controller looked like it was functioning fine, but no brakes, after checking things out the 7 pin trailer plug on my bumper didn't have the wire (blue) connected for the electric brakes. I look for the wire back there and didn't find it. I have four wirers leaving the blue plug under the dash out through the fire wall, not sure where they are going. I don't really want to tear the wire harness back by the bumper all apart to find them unless I know they are there. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is your trailer plug factory installed or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket the installer probably didn't need to wire it for brakes (small trailer) so that wire never got installed. About all you can do is verify that you blue connector has the brake wire installed and follow it to the back of the truck add to it if needed and wire it to the 7 pin.

The blue plug 4 wires are Red = +12V (either direct to battery or through a fuse - if factory), Black = ground, white = brake peddle sensor, blue = + voltage to trailer brakes. At least that is what is the factory wiring on my 06 QC.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts