DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my RAM, but this 1.5 DIN stereo thing is driving me nuts. I've got an XM receiver and want to add GPS, but I can't stand another thing hanging off my dash. The single DIN types with motorized touchscreens look nice, but they block the air vents and I've heard the motors break. And the 1.5 DIN aftermarket stereos are pathetic, at least the 4 I've found.

So ... has anyone found a way to install a double DIN stereo into the 1.5 DIN space with minimal modifications and have it look factory clean? IIRC, there was a lot of extra room last time I looked behind the dash bezel, so I'm thinking a cutting tool and some patience will do the trick, but I'd like see if someone has tried this first.

Alternatively, are there any 1.5 DIN nav units that would work?

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts

my progress pic of my double din setup, its a bezel from a chevy vette i think and its molded in with duramix 4040 semirigid epoxy. as soon as i get my kenwood double din dvd hu ill get it all filled and painted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine has a 1.5 DIN Nav. Ill give ya more info + pic tomorrow . I like it a lot. Actually came with the truck. I was planning on modding in a double din but this one had it done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of how it turned out.

I was even considering the possibility of putting in a huge screen by doing away with the middle a/c vents and rerouting to a new location (maybe under and up to back seat area)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True, but the same principles apply. Love to see updated/finished pics if you've got any....

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
These are pictures of a guy here in Colorado that put a PC with a touch screen in the dash of his 3rd gen:

The cool part is the computer works off his 12 volt system and hibernates when the key is turned off!

Anyway, anything can be done, it's all a question of what you are willing to spend the time doing.

·
Too Big to Sneak
449 Posts
Asinine said:
True, but the same principles apply. Love to see updated/finished pics if you've got any....
I understand. I have a '97 myself (same dash board layout as BigJoe's), but I remember the '98s and newer being a little different layout in the area around the stereo, cupholder and ashtray being located down below.

But yeah - I'm curious to see how it comes out as well. BigJoe does a lot of 'glass work... and he's pretty good at it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.