DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck was running fine before I installed the headers. I had an exhaust leak and 2 broken bolts on the right rear most cylinder. So I installed some Pacesetter LT's. Ceramic Coated, MOPAR Head Gaskets with a light coat of copper gasket sealer, vibe-lock bolts all torqued to spec and then re-torqued after 5 heat cycles. No movement. I've tightened down everything and I'm using band clamps at everything back to the Y pipe. Front O2's are in the collectors and the rear O2's are extended (carefully soldered and heat shrinked) and then the Rears are in non-foulers with steel wool.

I've cleaned the IAT Sensor, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the EGR Valve (which is only 4000 miles old) and I've reset the ECM. I cleaned out the PCV Valve but it seemed to be in good working condition and the fact that it wasn't an issue before seems to make it a non-issue. I checked the vacuum tube from the TB to the brake booster and the cap on the booster is good. I haven't done a full inspection of the two lines running to the evap? but I don't know why they would fail instantly after doing the headers since they weren't touched. I have a SuperChips 3815 and I've tried everything on stock and everything on the 91 tune.

Here's a video of what it does at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAIfmurZ9ZI

I have to hold the the gas and the brake when I come to a top light to keep the idle at about 800-900rpm to keep her running. Once I get it moving it runs smooth through the gears and no problem until I hit that next stop light. I've gotta give it a little of the skinny pedal on start up as well.

I appreciate any recommendations and help. I'm considering that maybe I just need a custom tune but I don't know where to start on that one. I'm living in south/central Ohio. Any help on that would be appreciated as well.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Just some thoughts here, o2 sensors not getting warm enough, are they in new positions? o2 sensor wires crossed by accident? Since you're probably not using stock heat shields are there any melted wires near the headers? Just guessing here.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
My truck was running fine before I installed the headers. I had an exhaust leak and 2 broken bolts on the right rear most cylinder. So I installed some Pacesetter LT's. Ceramic Coated, MOPAR Head Gaskets with a light coat of copper gasket sealer, vibe-lock bolts all torqued to spec and then re-torqued after 5 heat cycles. No movement. I've tightened down everything and I'm using band clamps at everything back to the Y pipe. Front O2's are in the collectors and the rear O2's are extended (carefully soldered and heat shrinked) and then the Rears are in non-foulers with steel wool.

I've cleaned the IAT Sensor, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the EGR Valve (which is only 4000 miles old) and I've reset the ECM. I cleaned out the PCV Valve but it seemed to be in good working condition and the fact that it wasn't an issue before seems to make it a non-issue. I checked the vacuum tube from the TB to the brake booster and the cap on the booster is good. I haven't done a full inspection of the two lines running to the evap? but I don't know why they would fail instantly after doing the headers since they weren't touched. I have a SuperChips 3815 and I've tried everything on stock and everything on the 91 tune.

I have to hold the the gas and the brake when I come to a top light to keep the idle at about 800-900rpm to keep her running. Once I get it moving it runs smooth through the gears and no problem until I hit that next stop light. I've gotta give it a little of the skinny pedal on start up as well.

I appreciate any recommendations and help. I'm considering that maybe I just need a custom tune but I don't know where to start on that one. I'm living in south/central Ohio. Any help on that would be appreciated as well.

Here's a video of what it does at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAIfmurZ9ZI
If it was running fine before you started then you should not have any idle issues as long as everything was reconnected correctly.

Do you have any codes?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks... most likely issue in my opinion.

Go over everything that was disconnected and make sure it has been reconnected.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE,
AIR RAM PERF

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to do the throttle body reset trick either maybe when you cleaned something the calibration is a bit off. When I did my headers no issues but when I changed out the TB it stumbled a bit.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
pcm is prolly dumpin fuel...need to pull some gas...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.