DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished putting on my headers last night, but still need to go to the muffler shop this morning to have the headers connected to the cat. Once I get back from the shop I'll do some testing to see about leaks, then take it out and see about performance gains. I'll keep you posted of my results.

There's a few pics of these in my DT garage if you're interested. I'll post some more once everything is complete.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Cool, keep us posted. Just curious, will driving it while not connected to the cat cause a CEL? I bet it will be loud too.
You might need to reset your PCM with a mod like that. It is recommended with items like TB and exhaust systems. Whenever I reset mine because of mods, it took about 200 miles before everything felt really dialed in.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just sent you a PM silver. I may actually be heading out the door on a 250 mile round trip. That will give me a good estimate of how everything is doing. I'll post again this evening when I get back with the (hopefully) good news.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck was really loud this morning on the way to the shop. My truck sounded like an old muscle car with a racing cam. It sounded a whole lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting to have the Engine light come on during the trip but it never happened. That may be because I actually got the crossover pipe to fit over one of the inlets, but even with that I was still expecting the light.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, after driving the truck around town tonight I can definitely tell there's been some added power. The truck gets up to speed a bit easier than it did before and doesn't seem to want to bog down on hills quite as bad (though I haven't taken it out on any larger hills yet). Best way I can describe the way the truck drives after the headers is like a quick and smooth glide. Definitely nothing to scream about but a very noticeable and worthwhile upgrade. I'm still frequently checking for leaks while the gaskets go through their "burn-in" period, but other than that I'm extremely pleased with this upgrade.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Excellent, I'd have to agree with the moderate increase in performance with my Gibson shorties. It was worth it.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
Roaring - any pics of the headers installed? (I checked your gallery, but didn't see any there yet)

How is the sparkplug access - you gonna be able to get in there and change 'em with the pipes 'curling' the way they do? :help:

I've got a Magnaflow Direct Fit cat and cat-back setup waiting to go in my '98, but was waiting until I decide if I want to put headers on or not.

Thanks, and let us know how they're doin' after your trip :D

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one pic of the headers on my truck located in my DT garage. Spark plug access will not be a problem with the new headers. As far as your situation, I would definitely get some headers to compliment your MF Cat and cat-back setup. I'm planning on running a MF high flow cat and upgrading the exhaust pipes to 3 inches very soon. From all the driving I've done so far with the headers on I can say this: It's worth the time and money. You will definitely be pleased if you choose to get new headers. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll just post those pics on here to save you for searching for them. Pics one and two are pretty much the same I just moved the camera a tad bit. It shows what the headers look like on the truck. The third picture I took to show everyone why they should own a Ram...it comes standard with a flashlight holder and a tool shelf...lol. I'll probably take some pics of the other side of the truck but that's all I've got for right now.

Attachments

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Looks great!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Right on Bro, they look really nice. I'm lookin to do the same thing. Do you think that you will have to mod your chip now. About a month ago I had a Flowmaster Single in Dual out off a High Flow cat put on and it sounds great. Now I want better gas mileage, they say headers will help. What have you noticed with Gas?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
looks good! now you just need to get a performance Cat and you will feel the full gains from those headers! :)

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys for the compliments. Big Bear, I'm planning on getting a Hypertech soon which will increase my trucks performance even more. As far as it's stock configuration goes there's no need to mess with the PCM. I haven't been able to check the gas mileage because I installed them with under half a tank of gas, but according to the computer the MPG is increasing. I'll post later on once I run a full tank of gas out and let you know the results. DodgeFreak, I can't wait to compliment those headers with a high flow cat. That upgrade will be coming real soon. Thanks again you guys and let me know if you have any more questions.

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CoreySS, my Edelbrock # was 66013. Even so, I had to cut both pipes off to make room for the ones that came with the kit.

DansDodge, the pipes go directly into a dual in/single out cat. The pipes that come with the kit fit right over the inlets on the stock cat, which was a pleasant surprise for me.

I'm getting ready to go check for leaks and make sure everything is still tight. I'll post some pics in a few minutes of what the configuration looks like under the truck. If you have any more questions just let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does that part# include the y-pipe as well? If it does I just might have to con the little lady into getting some of those!!! For my Ram anyway...As for my Durango I've been looking at the GSM headers and y-pipe...But those are almost $900. If you can post those pictures I'd love to see the y-pipe..BTW those headers look awesome!!!!

·
RoaringRam
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are the pics I took this morning. Pic one is of the cat and the second pic is of the crossover. I finally took a pic of the left side of the engine but you can't see much. The left side was really difficult due to lack of space, but all in all the installation was fairly simple.

Attachments

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
RoaringRam said:
I'll just post those pics on here to save you for searching for them. Pics one and two are pretty much the same I just moved the camera a tad bit. It shows what the headers look like on the truck. The third picture I took to show everyone why they should own a Ram...it comes standard with a flashlight holder and a tool shelf...lol. I'll probably take some pics of the other side of the truck but that's all I've got for right now.
Thanks Roaring - that's exactly what I needed to know (and see!) :rck:

Looks awesome - I think I'll be getting a set now!

Nice shot of the factory flashlight holder too :thatfunny

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.