DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of torison keys on Ebay for $80.00. Truxxx wanted $300.00. The keys are forged. I contacted nearly 15 Ebayers who bought the same keys. No complaints...

The truck is an 02 that I had lifted years ago with the stock keys by adjusting the torsion bars. The ride was stiff but the new ride is pleasent. Here is a link to photos of before using the stock keys,

Photo Link

Tires are BFG 315 R70 17 ALL TERRAIN TA KO tires as seen in the old photos. Tires are worn out.

Installing the new keys took all of 30 minutes to install. I used a ball joint tool from Checker Auto. Very simple to install. Unscrew and removed the torsion adjustment bolts, remove the threaded half moon solid bar the the adjustment bolts thread into, slide out the torison bars and remove stock keys. Install new keys and slide torsion bars back into the front A-arm while sliding the new torsion keys onto the rear of the torsion bar.

Once I purchase new tires I will need to have the front end aligned. The front of the truck is now slightly higher than the rear. The ride is about what it was prior to install the new keys. Because I had adjusted the stock keys I had a stiffer ride over stock setup. The Rancho 9000X shocks had plenty of travel and no need to relocate the lower shock mounts.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
can you explain to me how the ride is better? you didnt change the torsion bar, therefore you didnt change the spring load rate? all you did was install keys with an offset so you dont have to crank the bolt as much due to the fact that key itself already has the offset built in. same thing as before? unless you re indexed your torsion bar

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
byrdawg13 said:
can you explain to me how the ride is better? you didnt change the torsion bar, therefore you didnt change the spring load rate? all you did was install keys with an offset so you dont have to crank the bolt as much due to the fact that key itself already has the offset built in. same thing as before? unless you re indexed your torsion bar
I always wonder that as well ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
byrdawg13 said:

Prior to installing the new keys I had raised the truck with the stock keys, this loaded the current torsion bars beyond the stock settings in order to raise the truck nearly 2.50 inches. This cause for a very stiff ride. The new keys are index differently allowing the truck to raise while maintaining the load on the bars to be near the factory settings. This giving me a softer ride but raising the truck or leveling the truck...

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
i disagree with you 100%. not trying to be a dick. check it out...in stock form....your torsion bars and torsion keys are in a factory set adjustment. when you losen turn the bolt on the adjuster it moves the key up loading the torsion bars in turn forcing the control arms down, creating a permanant droop. the only way to obtain a lift using factory equipment is by loading the torsion bars as stated. new torsion keys, as you bought....dont unload the bar, they simply install already offest (in a position that the stock keys would be with some cranking). being as they are still offset, and just permanantly where the stock keys could adjust too, your torsion bars are still loaded. if they werent...you wouldnt have lift. so again...how is the ride smoother?

·
Registered
603 Posts
did your 315 R70 17 fit ok or do the rub i also have a 02 but the dealer tells me nothing bigger than a 285

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
byrdawg13 said:
i disagree with you 100%. not trying to be a dick. check it out...in stock form....your torsion bars and torsion keys are in a factory set adjustment. when you losen turn the bolt on the adjuster it moves the key up loading the torsion bars in turn forcing the control arms down, creating a permanant droop. the only way to obtain a lift using factory equipment is by loading the torsion bars as stated. new torsion keys, as you bought....dont unload the bar, they simply install already offest (in a position that the stock keys would be with some cranking). being as they are still offset, and just permanantly where the stock keys could adjust too, your torsion bars are still loaded. if they werent...you wouldnt have lift. so again...how is the ride smoother?
Obviously your not looking or thinking correctly. When the truck is in the air (Jack Stands) with the A-ARMS completely in the down position and the new key is placed correctly and because of the NEW indexing the adjuster bolt installed and loaded the amount of (twist) for the lack of a better word placed on the torsion bar. I don't know how to explain any better to you. Here's a quote from www.truxxx.com ,

Your more than welcome to call Truxxx and take your stand with them, 1-888-660-5892. I for one don't have the time or for that matter want to drag this into a heated matter...

TRUXXX said:
2"- 3" lift (adjustable) with NO CHANGE in OEM ride quality, we have changed the key positioning to an optimized mathematically engineered and road tested design.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lincoln1003 said:
did your 315 R70 17 fit ok or do the rub i also have a 02 but the dealer tells me nothing bigger than a 285
It's going to depend on the offset of your wheels. No the tires do not rub in either directions. The wheels have a backspacing of 4.5 inches on these wheels. Even with the stock keys and having done nothing to raise the truck the 315 tires worked AOK without rubbing.

I purchased the truck new with the steel wheels. The truck was in and out of the dealer countless of times due to vibration around 60 MPH. After a number of times of balancing the wheels and tires the manager pulled me aside and told me flat out to buy new wheels. He said that Dodge has always had a problem with steel wheels. He also said that if I where to quote him that he would simple say I must of misunderstood him. He said that Dodge was aware of the problem but would not recall the wheels due to the expense it would cost Dodge.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
DodgeViper said:
Obviously your not looking or thinking correctly. When the truck is in the air (Jack Stands) with the A-ARMS completely in the down position and the new key is placed correctly and because of the NEW indexing the adjuster bolt installed and loaded the amount of (twist) for the lack of a better word placed on the torsion bar. I don't know how to explain any better to you. Here's a quote from www.truxxx.com ,

Your more than welcome to call Truxxx and take your stand with them, 1-888-660-5892. I for one don't have the time or for that matter want to drag this into a heated matter...
OK, I think I know what your are saying now, but tell me if I am wrong. Lets say the wheel wells are 37" off the ground normally. You then have to jack the truck up 5" before the tires lift off the ground, so the wheel wells are now at 42". In this case the TBs are loaded with 5" of travel.

With the new keys, you have to lift the truck up to 44" to get the wheels off the ground, but when you drop it back down it stops at 39". So the TBs are still loaded with 5" of travel, they are just physically offset by 2". Does this make sense?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ggravant said:
OK, I think I know what your are saying now, but tell me if I am wrong. Lets say the wheel wells are 37" off the ground normally. You then have to jack the truck up 5" before the tires lift off the ground, so the wheel wells are now at 42". In this case the TBs are loaded with 5" of travel.

With the new keys, you have to lift the truck up to 44" to get the wheels off the ground, but when you drop it back down it stops at 39". So the TBs are still loaded with 5" of travel, they are just physically offset by 2". Does this make sense?
If I am understanding you correctly the weight of the truck does not change so the pre-load your describing of 5 inches does not change. Placing and the indexing of the key does and this is where the lifting takes place with the same amount of twist on the torsion bars. This giving a smoother ride without added additional torque placed on the torsion bars.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
DodgeViper said:
If I am understanding you correctly the weight of the truck does not change so the pre-load your describing of 5 inches does not change. Placing and the indexing of the key does and this is where the lifting takes place with the same amount of twist on the torsion bars. This giving a smoother ride without added additional torque placed on the torsion bars.
Yep - that is what I was asking, thanks. Hmmm - I may have to check these out. The Truxxx website lists the Dodge Ram kit as having some shock extensions - is this true with your ebay purchase? If so, did you need/use them?

I currently have my truck lowered in the back, but I have been thinking on and off about returning the rear to stock and raising the front. Other priorities right now, but this is good info.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
Ooops - never mind on the shock extensions - I see you had the ranchos. Do you have a link to the ebay keys?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ggravant said:
Yep - that is what I was asking, thanks. Hmmm - I may have to check these out. The Truxxx website lists the Dodge Ram kit as having some shock extensions - is this true with your ebay purchase? If so, did you need/use them?

I currently have my truck lowered in the back, but I have been thinking on and off about returning the rear to stock and raising the front. Other priorities right now, but this is good info.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtotalperformanceinc

·
Registered
530 Posts
byrdawg13 said:
I've always wondered this myself - vehicle weight doesn't change, torsion bars don't change so they have to stay just as twisted up as before to support the same weight at the same height. When I had my 1500 I cranked them up and was happy with the ride as it was so I never investigated them but did ponder what I would really get?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cmoschip said:
I've always wondered this myself - vehicle weight doesn't change, torsion bars don't change so they have to stay just as twisted up as before to support the same weight at the same height. When I had my 1500 I cranked them up and was happy with the ride as it was so I never investigated them but did ponder what I would really get?
It' all about the placement of the new index keys in relation to the position of the A-ARMS during the installation.

·
Registered
530 Posts
DodgeViper said:
It' all about the placement of the new index keys in relation to the position of the A-ARMS during the installation.
Using torsion rods with the same "springiness" (for lack of a better word :p) they still twist the same amount to hold up the same weight. Meaning they are preloaded to the same extent - and that is the reason the rides firm up when we crank them - variable rate TBs that support a greater amount of weight seem like the only way to raise AND get a better ride?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
wow, there are variable rate torsion bars...thats pretty slick. dodgeviper....dont get upset man, i was trying to make a point. everything you do with your offset keys you can with stock keys...if you wanted to re index them, thats fine...you dont need aftermarket keys.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No one get upset, please - it's the freaking Internet and I think we'll all trying to make sure we understand, whatever the explanation is.

I think I will remain confused today. :p

·
Registered
530 Posts
byrdawg13 said:
wow, there are variable rate torsion bars...thats pretty slick. dodgeviper....dont get upset man, i was trying to make a point. everything you do with your offset keys you can with stock keys...if you wanted to re index them, thats fine...you dont need aftermarket keys.
I saw an online ad for variable rate ones - don't knwo any more. If a coil can get progressively stiffer then I suppose a rod could too?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.