DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing but good has come from this thing! My truck shifts firmer, and it accelerates alot faster then before... i dont know what it did but it is really good... not to mention it burns out easier.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Jet chip? Thought they didn't do anything...

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i read it sucks on the hemi's but it helps my 5.2 quite a bit

· Registered
86 Posts
As soon as your computer learns it you'll be back to stock. You probably got more from resetting the PCM than anything else.

You can search ANY dodge forum on the web, and they all say the same the jet chips are paperweights.

· Ram Racer
1,582 Posts
Could be he had the death flash so anything would be better.
JET has been dyno n track proven to hurt performance with a 5.9.

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a 5.2

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can outrun my uncles 5.9 exept he doesent have a free-flowing exaust, chip.

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys im serious, this thing did wake my truck up. how do i know if it has that "deathflash"

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Just type deathflash in the search...

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey grantman i bet you know what the deathflash is?
i dont feel like using the search feature right now... can u do me a favor and tell me?

well its been 3 days, more then 150 miles... my truck is running WAY BETTER then before, no more lag in 2nd-3rd gear. i think the chip "did" its job
hell you cant beat what i spent for the thing.

i read somewhere that it F***ks with the way the transmission shifts?

· Registered
1,829 Posts
The jetchip will generally increase part throttle timing so it will make things better there. Every dyno I've seen shows a loss at part throttle. On my old '01 I'd lose races with the jetchip and win them w/o it when racing the same vehicle. But it sure made part throttle driving better. Then I got a custom flash.

I'm now an SCT custom flash writer so I can write tunes for your trucks. I can blow away the Jet chip 10 fold. If any body wants a nice pcm flash....I can do it.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
MeenGreen5.2 said:
Hey grantman i bet you know what the deathflash is?
i dont feel like using the search feature right now... can u do me a favor and tell me?

well its been 3 days, more then 150 miles... my truck is running WAY BETTER then before, no more lag in 2nd-3rd gear. i think the chip "did" its job
hell you cant beat what i spent for the thing.

i read somewhere that it F***ks with the way the transmission shifts?
It's a flash done by the dealership to retard timing and change your pcm in a way to reduce spark knock (their bandaid for the bigger problem). It severely hinders your gas mileage and bogs down your engine majorly. There should be an "Authorized Software Update" sticker on your PCM (but not all of these are "death flashes"). Find the thread about it to read the specific numbers that relate to the "death flash".

· Registered
7 Posts
How much does a custom flash cost? Is it really that big of a diff on a stock truck? Mine is pathetic off the line then pulls hard from 3grand up.

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blueslt said:
How much does a custom flash cost? Is it really that big of a diff on a stock truck? Mine is pathetic off the line then pulls hard from 3grand up.
Exactly how my truck used to feel.

the lower rpm's on these trucks suck.... my truck feels more like my dad's 4.7 now.

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i did a search for "death flash" and saw that the pcm's had a sticker saying that they were flashed that way... well my PCM doesent have any of that... the sticker on it says "remanufactured from chrysler" or somthing like that... i wonder what happened to the original one.... Wierd

· Registered
2,172 Posts
MeenGreen5.2 said:
i did a search for "death flash" and saw that the pcm's had a sticker saying that they were flashed that way... well my PCM doesent have any of that... the sticker on it says "remanufactured from chrysler" or somthing like that... i wonder what happened to the original one.... Wierd
I wonder if you received a remanufactured one from the previous owner and the dealer did all updated flashes (including the death flash) and that's why you noticed such a big change with the chip?

· Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Obviously somthing went wrong with the first one... this pcm looks brand new, i just noticed that.

next mod is some shorty headers... Today ill possibly run it at the track and see how she does in the 1/4

· Registered
1,829 Posts
MeenGreen5.2 said:
Exactly how my truck used to feel.

the lower rpm's on these trucks suck.... my truck feels more like my dad's 4.7 now.
Custom tunes are $599 for 2 tunes. Tunes are emailed rather than having to send your pcm all over the country. I can do quite a bit to get the off the line power increased. I did a group by for 7 or more tuners a few weeks back. 7 tuners gets a discount price from the manufacturer. I don't know when I'll be doing another one of those. Tweaks are free. If you want changes, etc. I will support you for the life of your truck. A complete re-write is $50 a tune. A rewrite would be adding a supercharger or something like that. But if you add a cam and need idle a/f change, that's free to update.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.