DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
truckman323
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had some Bilstein 5100s delivered, and the rears didn't come with boots, grr...Anyways, the way the "Bilstein" sticker is on the shock, it looks like the piston-end goes on the bottom(bolts to the axle) and the tube bolts to the chassis? Can anyone confirm if this is OK? I put 5100s on my last two trucks and they were opposite of these......

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
Had Bilstein 5100s on my 04, and never seen what you described
Put a picture up...

·
truckman323
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to install the piston "down" and the body "up". I'm also foregoing putting shock boots on....i'll see how it works.

·
Skelton Krew
862 Posts
shock boots just trap thing. I thought the 5100s could only be mounted body down.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I actually had mine on the way you described and took them out and reversed them...I was in such a hurry to get them on that I didn't notice that the boot is basically a trap for junk to ruin the shock (eventually)...you definitely want to it with the body down and the boot up.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Don't know about the Bilstein normally the piston body goes down, piston rod goes up. and how the stock shocks come mounted from the factory. or course it the stock ones have a unsealed hard boot on the rod end.

·
truckman323
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the 5100s being a monotube design, you can put them either way. I put them pistons down so the Bilstein sticker is right-side up.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I believe they put the piston body up and away from anything that can ding the shock body and damage it. That way the shocks last longer.

:)

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
I believe that they are made to point in specific directions to avoid shock fade. I think it has something to do with how they want the gas to press the oil against the valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.