DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a economy enclosure for the quad cab. It seems that my 2-10" vented enclosure is very popular and sells well on ebay but the cheap import boxes are still selling about 4 or 5 to each of mine. Consumers that dont know much about sound see the cheaper box and they buy it.
I sharpened my pencil to see if I could make a product for the same price but still make it better than the import stuff. I'll tell you now, its not going to be as good as my vented box.
What I came up with is a sealed 2-10 enclosure. It will NOT be available for 12's.
*It will be made of 1/4" abs instead of 3/8". "about equal to a Thunder Form"
*It will have a 5/8" MDF baffle which is standard for my enclosures.
*The air volume will be 1.1-1.2 ft3 "still good for 2-10's sealed"
*The enclosure will measure 12" from front to back vs. 17" with my vented enclosure.
*The economy box will not come with grilles and gold terminals. It will still use screw mounted terminals but they will be the red/black spring type.
*The mounting depth would be 1" less than the vented box so it would be 6.5" depth with a magnet diameter of 6.5".
I figured out the materials,time/labor, & packing/shipping cost. With volume that is sold one Ebay I would be able to sell it for $99.99 shipped in the 48 states. That would be matching the import boxes prices and it will still have more air volume, fit better, look better.
What do you think. Should I make a economy enclosure?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not sure. If it is not going to have the sound and quality of your current boxes you might compromise your current reputation for having a great product. It all comes back to the old sayin you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2004 Quad Cab Sub Box Help

How's it going Joe..

After doing much research it looks like you have the best QUAD cab boxes out there.

Thanks for talking to me on the phone Saturday. I have a couple more questions after talking to a JL AUDIO Rep.

Do you have a sealed version of your QUAD CAB box that going to sell?

1.8 Cubic feet is the perfect sealed air volume for 10 JL Audio 10 W6 v3's. The JL Rep said that if you go any thinner than 3/8 ABS that your AIR volume will likely change, which will affect your speaker performance.

Also may you or someone else can answer this.. .Where is the best place to put amps in the 2004 Quad cab ? Underneath the front seats looks a little thin... Probably going to need a decent size amp ( 1000 watt RMS ) for 2 JL AUDIO W6s. I heard my 500 watt mono amp is little small for 2 10 inch JL AUDIO w6s.

Any advice is appreciated. :help:

Attachments

·
jokersHEMI
615 Posts
Stick your amps on yhe back wall behind the rear seat like I did.

Joe, don't make that cheap ass box, you might take away from the better quality boxes that you sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SMokeDaddy said:
I have a couple more questions after talking to a JL AUDIO Rep.

Do you have a sealed version of your QUAD CAB box that going to sell?

1.8 Cubic feet is the perfect sealed air volume for 10 JL Audio 10 W6 v3's.
I find that my enclosure is too large to run 10's in it sealed. You can ask Jokersmith about his truck. He originally bought my box sealed but at high power his 10w6's had a tendency to move too much and they will pop or bottom out. He bought the vent and converted his to vented and is sounds allot better. I'm not sure who you were talking too at JL but Steve T. is the person I always ask for.
As for mounting your amps, stickum on the back wall. Under the seat is just asking to have people put there feet on them. Or worse yet, something on the floor hit your amp and break off the RCA jacks. I had a person come into the shop one time that had a pair of jumper cables on the floor of his truck and they shorted across the power terminals. Just blew the fuse but it left a nice burn mark on the the side of the amp where is shorted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Joe, and Jokersmith..

Did you have to remove anything else on that back wall? Doesnt your amp rub against the back seat? Seems like it might leave some type of burn mark or damage the amp because it cant "breath" Wonder if w3's would work in the box (per air volume) What are those red arrows for( screws?) Joe said the Alpine type R's would work.. I looked on the Alpine site but cannot find the displacement specs for that model.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
Joe,
A word of advice. If you build a cheap product, you will attract a different client. These different clients will have different expectations and needs for the "After Sale" support. (How do I put it in? Where do I connect the wires? How do I make it louder?)

If you have unlimited time to hold their hands after the sale, then build the cheap product. If not, let your slightly higher price weed out the "Riff-Raff".

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SMokeDaddy said:
Thanks Joe, and Jokersmith..

Did you have to remove anything else on that back wall? Doesnt your amp rub against the back seat? Seems like it might leave some type of burn mark or damage the amp because it cant "breath" Wonder if w3's would work in the box (per air volume) What are those red arrows for( screws?) Joe said the Alpine type R's would work.. I looked on the Alpine site but cannot find the displacement specs for that model.
If you go to your truck and fold the seat up and down you will see that when you fold it down the back of the seat pulls away from the wall. When the seat is down there is about 4-5 inches of room between the wall and seat back.
Alpine is not the best at listing specs on there product. I don't really worry about what the manufacturer recomends when it comes to specialty boxes like mine. They will almost always recomend more air volume than what you have, so whats the point. I just say "I've got XXXX amount of space to work with, how can I make it sound good" If it sounds good, then it can't be wrong :rck:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the next batch will be the regular vented enclosure and they are made of 3/8" abs.
I was working on the new single 10" vented mold for the passenger side today and I think I have it fixed.
I JB welded the 2 halves together "4 packs of JB weld" I'm going to let it set for 24 hours then try to run some parts. I'll post some picture of the new box as soon as I get some done.

·
Total loser.
584 Posts
Joe I have been spreading around on every car audio forum, and dodge forums, that you box is the best box and how much I love it. Please dont build a cheaper less quaility box. If its a money thing I understand but Ive always believed in quality over quanity. AudioNutz is right you will collect a different crowd and I believe what he says about the new problems youll have with that crowd. Joe you make a great product dont ruin that rep. The only thing else ill say is you seem like you are busy enough do you really want to start another line? Ive seen alot of "I cant get a hold of Joe Fox" posts here which leads me to believe you are always busy! I say keep making your quality boxes and be known as the guy who saved alot of guys audio systems!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No economy box...

Hi Joe,

Your vented box sounds so much better than the sealed box I bought from you last year. The sound quality and depth is so much better! I am using 2 Alpine Type-R's and they SHAKE the truck now with the vented box!

I think when the word gets out, people will look for your enclosure more and more.

The only improvement to your current vented box is -- the vents should have a smooth surface where the air comes out. Currently there is a trim on the inside edge of the vents where the air moves past the plastic and makes noise. If that vent was smoothed out from the inside so it does not have a bend on it at the end that sound would be gone. I am thinking about leveling the inside of the vent with some silicone putty.

One more thing I would suggest is to have a better shipping rate - the flat rate shipping would be expensive to people in your proximity.

Rizwan

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
joe.. what about something kinda like the one i have?? its really simple and hits good. its kinda like the probox. you could also put a vent somewhere, who knows... just a suggestion.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know what kind of box you have?
You can't just cut a hole and vent any box. You need the proper air volume. My enclosures have a little more than 1.8 cubic feet and its the minimum air volume that I would use for vented. The wood box that Pro Box made where the subs were reversed had around .25 on one side and .4 on the other. If your box is wood then there is no way you will have the required air volume for vented.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
heres some pics of my box. maybe it doesnt have to be vented. just trying to help.

i used to have one of those ebay boxes. was my very first one. i got mine locally at a bazar and the box i have know is a hell of a lot better than those.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your boxes air volume is around .64 cubic feet if the wood is 3/4" or .79 cubic feet if the wood is 5/8" thick.
Based on 54" wide x 19"deep x 2.75 tall.
You will loose a little bit of air volume with the seat bracket notch too. Its should work fine sealed like it is.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Joe which set up sounds better, your under seat or your prototype center box?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.