DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'90 Dakota 4x2, 3.9, auto with 169,000 miles on the clock. It passes emissions, runs smooth enough (just gutless). It improved signifigantly when I had a cat-back done (high flow cat, Flowmaster) and new pipe (2 1/2"). It's been a few years since I did a tune up on it, will probably do one this spring after it warms up. I also replaced the fuel filter with the last tune-up, will probably do so once again. I run a can of Seafoam through a few times a year to keep things clean in the fuel system and keep my air filter changed out too. The guts of the cat were nearly gone and what was left of them was rattling back to the outlet pipe and wedging into the nose of the pipe. I have to drop it out of OD to maintain speed while running up the mountain passes (3/4 throttle), but at least it doesn't "lose speed" now (with the pedal to the floor and out of OD).

Now, to my question. Since this is my first MOPAR, how much initial timing do these engines like? When I did my first tune up I left it at the label's designated setting. I did a search and found a thread that indicates that someone has liked 4-6 degrees more than spec. Is that typical amongst the rest of ya? If my manual reading is correct, all I need to do after warming it up to operating temp is to unplug the coolant temp sensor while taking the timing light reading. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ya mean?...

No one's even gonna poke fun at my inquiry, let alone offer up an opinion based upon their experiences with this engine? :huh:

·
Registered
690 Posts
I advanced the timing on a 1.8L Eagle Talon about 5 degrees gave me a little more get up and a bit better fuel mileage but I never disconnected anything to do it simply loosened off the retaining bolt and turned the distributor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yor timing method is correct . it is the same on my '88... warm engine, unplug temp.
sensor, set timing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.