DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed this kit (Kool Vue) on my 99 1500 QC today. I am pretty pleased with it compared to spending 350 bucks on a K&N or other name brand. This cost me $97. Hope I can gain some MPG's with this and my POS Summit hi-flo dual cat back.

Just got my truck out of the body shop today after 4k worth of damage from other driver fault. Glad to have my truck back after driving the rental 07 Ford Edge SUV for 2 weeks.

I am new here but really glad I found this site. I have had my truck since 04 and sure could of used the info I have found here over the last week. I need to do the plenum repair and fix the death flash. I am pretty slow off the line.

Attachments

·
truckman323
466 Posts
If you don't like that CAI you might also consider looking into a round filter setup. A lot of us on here really like those, several guys prefer them over the CAI as well.

·
The Man
365 Posts
I got the same one on my truck. Thats a great price!

It is an Spectre Performance piece. I paid $120.00 shipped a couple months ago.

I removed the 14-inch round open element air cleaner that the previous owner installed.

I'd have to say that a open element round air cleaner sitting on top of your engine doesn't make much sense to me. It may look cool, but it can't be doing any good. It's sitting & sucking in the air from the hottest part of the engine bay. I don't see how that can add any performance gain.
The Spectre Performance isn't the best true cold air system. The metal sheild keeps out the engine bay heat, even even once the shield becomes heat soaked the filter is still getting cold air from the fender air opening.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
You know I wonder whw thats considered CAI. I think if person routed to the front of the engine compartment its more colder and more direct. I think silvershark has a set up similar to this.

·
The Man
365 Posts
Like I said it isn't a perfect set-up as it uses the same cold air induction hole that the factory air intake system uses.
It's a much better choice than a round open element air cleaner or the factory air box though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you notice a difference in performance after installing this. I can't tell yet because my distributor cap & rotor is so bad. I have been puttin it off for two months after I already did plugs and wires...it looks like a pain in the arse.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Did you notice a difference in performance after installing this. I can't tell yet because my distributor cap & rotor is so bad. I have been puttin it off for two months after I already did plugs and wires...it looks like a pain in the arse.
Yes it is a pain in the ass, but with the airbox removed it is easier to do and very much worth the thirty bucks it cost to change it all out.

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Be careful replacing the cap, I broke off one of the bolts holding it down and had to replace the entire distributor.

Also you should reset your computer after replaceing the cap, rotor, wires and plugs to let the computer relearn the new equipment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! How did you break the bolt? How can I avoid it? I amy just take it to the shop. A guy up the road said he would do it for $50. Is it worth it?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
I broke mine because it was rusted in, I hadn't changed the cap and rotor since I bought the truck three years ago from Wisconsin.

That depends on how you feel about having a TB stuck in your sternum for about an hour, if the guy does it make sure he follows the TSB on the wire routing and resets the computer.

·
The Man
365 Posts
I didn't notice any actual performance gain installing the cold air intake system. I highly doubt anyone would with any system out there.

I bought the cap and rotor and waited about a week to change it always finding an excuse not to do it because it looked so nasty. It only took me about 20 minutes to do it. It was super simple. I just literally laid on the radiator shroud/hose and did it. Now that I think about it though...I may have had my cold air kit already installed but that shouldn't matter that much. I unbolted the old cap & moved it over a few inches. Then easily slip off the old rotor and slip on the new one. Then I bolted the new cap in place and proceded to remove the wires off the of the old cap one by one putting them on the same place on the new cap. Super fast and easy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how many bolts hold the cap on? one or two?

·
The Man
365 Posts
2 screws/bolts.

If they are difficult/stiff coming out work them back and forth the whole way out. Also once backed out a little spray a touch of penetrating lube on them.

When you put the new cap on use a good high temp grease on the bolts and the next time you change it (~30,000 miles from now) it'll come right off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now I feel really stupid. Once I figured it out, it took about 20 minutes. So glad I did not pay a mechanic 50 bucks! It cam right off no problems.

·
The Man
365 Posts
I told you, piece of cake.:cheerl:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks...I just took it for a test drive and reset the pcm but didn't notice much difference from the CAI other than it idles and runs smoother with the new cap/rotor. The old dist cap was very corroded!

·
The Man
365 Posts
On a 180 horsepower 5,000 lbs. vehicle you are not going to notice any small gain. Even if your CAI gave you say 5 hp, you are not gonna "feel" that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Would these parts (cap & rotor) and directions apply to my 2002 5.9 motor too? It looks the same and I know mine needs a tune-up ? What website did you find this cai at..I have a drop in K&N ...I wonder if there would be any differebce between these two-performance wise?Thanks

·
The Man
365 Posts
It is the same engine, not sure what it looks like in the new body style though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.