DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing a 2" lift coil spring for the front, and an add-a-leaf in the rear, and shocks designed for 2-3" lift in front, 1"-3" in rear. This isn't really much of a lift, more of a leveling, but I can tell I am getting addicted to this.

So say sometime in the future, I decide I want to go higher (say another 1 or 2 inches), could I simply A) install a coil spacer on my 2" coil, and maybe a taller block in the rear, or would I need to B) go with a package lift kit at that point?
Basically, would the components I am installing now be usable in the future if I want to go higher, or will I have to start over again with new components.

If they are reusable, what other components would I need to add in order to go higher then 2" (bump stops, control arms, etc...)

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't waste yer time. Your best to get a 3" kit and gitter-done! Your gonna mess around and spend twice as much if you don't do what you want the first time. You know, kinda like marrage.

·
D'OH!!
190 Posts
I would recommend going with a compleate kit as well. Once you go over 3 inches, more things need to be addressed (control arms, track bar, steering etc.) Usually these elements are taken care of by the better lift kits. The way your talking, you might be better off going with a 5 inch kit. Lifting gets very addicting, there is always the urge to go higher. The 5 inch kit should keep you happy for a little while, until the bug gites you again.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. There is actually some specific reasons why I went with the 2" setup to start with instead of 3" lift or higher.

1) About 20% of the time, I have a topper on the pickup for when we take road trips with the dogs, or camping, etc... The topper sticks up above the cab. The pickup is kept in a garage. Without the topper, I think it would fit in the garge even with a 3" lift and larger tires. But with the topper, it would have been close. I didn't want to spend the money on a full 3" or more lift just to find out it wouldn't fit in the garage anymore with the topper. That leads to number 2.
2) Wife would have been pissed :VHOT: if I had gone too high, escpesially if it couldn't fit in the garage anymore or if she needed a step ladder to get in.

I think overall, I will be happy with what I got, I just didn't expect to get so excited about things like off-road shocks, coil springs, big tires, etc...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Harley ram.. That avitar is classic!

HAHAHAHAAAAAA... Thanks for the daily uplift!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks Rammin. The picture doesn't show but the suspention has been painted to match my SJ lift also (ie white shocks and red srpings). And the headlights where removed to match the black-outs on my 1500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.