DodgeTalk Forum banner

In which lane do you typically drive on the Highway?

• Right Lane

Votes: 72 37.5%
  • Center Lane

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Left Lane

Votes: 84 43.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most annoying thing for me is when other drivers sit in the left or center lane for miles and miles without passing anyone :VHOT: :VHOT: :VHOT:

Being from a country where it is the law to stay in the right lane unless you pass someone makes it even more aggravating for me! Passing means your speed is 15 miles higher versus the vehicle you are about to overtake. So it will not take you 25 miles to get by! Once you passed the vehicle you pull over in the right lane again!

Up here in Canada the right lane usually is totally empty! From my point of view canadian drivers are the worst I have ever seen!

In which lane do you usually cruise down the Highway?

·
(_)& (_)& (_)&
505 Posts
if your not passing, youre not in the leftmost lane. period

·
Buy American
509 Posts
:gr_patrio
The right lane is the FASTEST. If it does clog-up with trucks, then I'll use the left lane for a little bit.

I'm not a slow driver but I stay out of the left lane so the "real idiots" can get by me! :WHT:

:drivingz:

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No matter how fast you go (even above speed limit) you should not drive in the left lane if you are not passing. Not even in the center lane assuming the right land has no traffic. Driving speed limit does not permit you can drive where you want.

What I like a lot is when the faster Guys get on someones tail pipe, get annoyed pass them on the right and cut right back in front of them. They are just as stupid as the one driving in the left lane for the last 100 miles.
Oh shit...almost miss my ramp let's cut over all lanes to make it! Hooops... you had to break because of me...sorry...to bad for you...have a nice day. I know I won't change the way people drive, as long as someones driving does not effect my driving I can take it.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Here in the Seattle area the traffic is really bad so leaving one lane completely empty except to pass just does not work. The right lane has all the merging so there is no way I will drive there and get caught in all that. Usually the Left lane is for those that will not exit for a long time and want to go as fast as they can legally, the middle lane is where you move to a few miles before your exit then the right lane about a mile before the exit. I understand the left lane deal just for passing but when you get in it and are passing everyone you tend to stay in it.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Good point Josh. Here in Ohio, we have a lot of interstates, and a lot of traffic. When you get around the big cities, like Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, etc. you can't ride in the right lane. You would actually be CAUSEING problems, instead of reducing them. When I get into high traffic areas, I tend to use the middle lane. When I'm driving through PA to visit the in-laws I spend most of the trip in the right lane. I guess it depends on the traffic.
And yes, here in Ohio, the law says the left lane is for passing only too. The cops aren't going to harass you if your in the left lane avoiding people on the exit/entrance ramps. You're more likely to get a ticket if your "passing" at 15 MPH faster than the guy next to you, who is going the speed limit. It doesn't matter if you only went 15 over for a few hundred feet. They'll nail you for 80 in a 65 every time.

·
Autoglass
4,117 Posts
sca said:
From my point of view canadian drivers are the worst I have ever seen!
I'M AFRAID NOT!!!
Try N.Y.C. ! ! ! ! !
22 years of driving trucks, THEY ARE THE WORST!
Canadians ARE A LOT BETTER THAN THAT!

And with 2.5 Million Miles, Experience Talking here.
48 States
3 Provinces of Canada
++++++
Cussed out in 27 Different Languages,16 Alone from N.Y.C.!

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously the whole deal does not really apply for heavy traffic when all lanes are busy. At that stage you only see Honda Civic's jumping traffic.... if you can't go anywhere I really don't care in which lane you sit.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I travel in the left lane... because I'm always passing people. lol Even if there's not a lot of people and it's just a 2 lane road, I'll still stay in the left lane. It's pointless (to me at least) to move to the left, pass someone, move back to the right only to get back to the left to pass someone again and go back to the right lane.

Plus in Japan... they drive on the left side. So it's a 2-parter... lol

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
I stay in the left lane, use the cruise control, and stay above the speed limit by about 10 mph (or more) most of the time. I stay out of the right and center lanes, in the city especially, unless I'm only on the highway for a short distance and need to exit again.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Go faster!!!!!!! ha ha :D

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Shots said:
Go faster!!!!!!! ha ha :D
Well yeah, up to a point.

Usually I am going with the rate of traffic. If I'm going faster than the rate of traffic, I'll pass in the right lane and get back to the left lane once I am around the slower drivers.

But if I'm already going 10-15 mph or more over the speet limit and people are on my tail, I let them pass me. It's not like I go poking around in the left lane at 55 or something.

In Houston, Austin and major cities in TX the center and right lanes of the freeway can be dangerous. I avoid them. There are too many 18-wheelers - a lot of them from Mexico - and bad drivers weaving in and out of their lane. I'd rather be in the furthest left lane at all times in the city.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I almost allways passing. Pet peeve on the slow drivers. Sometime in socal rush hours the truck lanes usually move faster.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am usually passing, so left lane for me!

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
If their are THREE lanes I stay in the center unless I'm passing... And when I pass I do it quickly as to clear the passing lane. I stay out of the Right lane as to leave room for cars to enter the highway without havening to hit my brakes because most of them are too stupid to enter the highway going the same speed or faster then the traffic they are trying to murg with...

If their are only two lanes then I stay in the slow lane (Right) when NOT passing and when I pass i do so as explained above... I do NOT camp out in the passing lane... it bugs the hell out of me when people do it, drive in the passing lane 1MPH over ht posted speed limit thinking "I'm going the speed limit so I will make you do it too" attitude. Then those dummys wait till the last second before their exit and cut everyone off to make it... I do my best to help them MISS their exit. I will block them in until we pass the exit... Just to give them a little lesson in driving. If they had been in the CORRECT lane then they would not have missed their exit. Of course they just get upset at me... but Ohh well I was able inconvenienced them for inconveniencing the hundreds of drivers they intentionally do to every day... Screw them!

In my opinion EVERYONE should drive considerately... If your going slow... Wonderful, let those who like to drive faster to pass you by staying out of the "PASSING" lane, go slow in the right lanes. Don't cut them off just because you feel its your duty to slow somone down.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
230 Posts
Josh Brown said:
Here in the Seattle area the traffic is really bad so leaving one lane completely empty except to pass just does not work. The right lane has all the merging so there is no way I will drive there and get caught in all that. Usually the Left lane is for those that will not exit for a long time and want to go as fast as they can legally, the middle lane is where you move to a few miles before your exit then the right lane about a mile before the exit. I understand the left lane deal just for passing but when you get in it and are passing everyone you tend to stay in it.
Josh, I live on Whidbey and I have to disagree with you a bit.

People in Seattle and on I-5 are the reason I never leave the island. In Seattle, the left lane is for morons who have ambulances behind them with lights on and they like to make a "roadblock" with the car in the middle lane and all drive the same speed. In general, everyone drives TOO DAMN SLOW and like they're sitting on the couch. What I like best (HA) about I-5/Seattle drivers is how they slow down and crash when it is raining...or when there is a shoe or something on the side of the road. MORONS!!! Of course, Josh, you are not one of them...just the rest of THOSE people!

On I-5, you can haul in the right lane and just shake your head in disbelief.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
megacabmom said:
Josh, I live on Whidbey and I have to disagree with you a bit.

People in Seattle and on I-5 are the reason I never leave the island. In Seattle, the left lane is for morons who have ambulances behind them with lights on and they like to make a "roadblock" with the car in the middle lane and all drive the same speed. In general, everyone drives TOO DAMN SLOW and like they're sitting on the couch. What I like best (HA) about I-5/Seattle drivers is how they slow down and crash when it is raining...or when there is a shoe or something on the side of the road. MORONS!!! Of course, Josh, you are not one of them...just the rest of THOSE people!

On I-5, you can haul in the right lane and just shake your head in disbelief.
Exactly! Same in DFW area, if your in a hurry then jump in the slow lane because everyone around here jumps in the passing lane and congest it.

The left lane is a "PASSING LANE" folks. if you have ever gone to drivers education you would have learned that fact their... but I guess they dont teach drivers education anymore and thats one of the biggest problems I think. Where I grew up Drivers education was NOT an option... no drivers Ed... no drivers license.

I think EVERYONE who drives should go to school and first LEARN how to drive. Just because a person drives slow in the passing lane doest make them a good driver. It makes them a hazard to the rest of us who know how to drive. They are the ones driving others into a road rage!

Anyway... SPEED SAFE... and if your NOT passing stay out of the passing lane!

AIR RAM

·
Registered
230 Posts
AMEN, my brother.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
It's not a right, it's a privledge. Privledges should be revoked. I hearing on laws on the elderly (in so cal), making their tests tougher. prevent the swapmeet drive thru incident last summer.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.