Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from a report in Autoweek:

Chrysler is close to deciding luxury sedan's fate

Chrysler is nearing a decision on whether to produce a vehicle based on the Imperial concept shown at the Detroit auto show in January.

"The development teams have gotten us all the information we need to make a decision," Frank Klegon, Chrysler group product development chief, said in an interview.

Klegon said a decision could come before the end of 2006 or the first quarter of 2007. He declined to say which way Chrysler is leaning.

John Wolkonowicz, analyst for Global Insight in Lexington, Mass., said production of the vehicle, code-named CY41, should begin in early 2009 as a 2010 model.

The Imperial was conceived as a luxury rear-wheel-drive vehicle built on the same platform as the Chrysler 300. But the big Imperial was nearly a foot-and-a-half longer than the 300 and six inches taller. The concept was powered by a Hemi engine.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
We dont need another luxury vehicle. How about an senior citizens vehicle? Drop the Imp. Name and name it something nostalgic like wheezermatic or something retro. My parents are in their eighties and decided to buy a new vehicle,(1st one), they had always bought cheap used vehicles. I tried to get them to buy MoPar, I really did! They bought a toyota corolla. They didnt want something that was confusing,they cant operate a vcr let alone a computer so they wanted something that was stripped of all electronics except heater,power brakes and steering, thats it. They dont make such a vehicle. The first manufacturer that does however....Dont know if it would sell or not. I know a lot of elderly people that would be interested.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
threetwos said:
We dont need another luxury vehicle. How about an senior citizens vehicle? Drop the Imp. Name and name it something nostalgic like wheezermatic or something retro. My parents are in their eighties and decided to buy a new vehicle,(1st one), they had always bought cheap used vehicles. I tried to get them to buy MoPar, I really did! They bought a toyota corolla. They didnt want something that was confusing,they cant operate a vcr let alone a computer so they wanted something that was stripped of all electronics except heater,power brakes and steering, thats it. They dont make such a vehicle. The first manufacturer that does however....Dont know if it would sell or not. I know a lot of elderly people that would be interested.
Same here, my parents also in their early eighties, traded their Trailblazer in on a Hyundai Elantra. I tried to steer them away, but after seeing it over Thanksgiving and looking at the fit and finish, features, its a nice car, with a surprising amount of room in it. They wanted a car that was easy to drive, easy to park that was fuel efficient and reliable. The safety features, antilock brakes, 6 airbags and the 10 yr warranty sold my dad. We have a 300C and that car is big and harder to park and drive than our Durango. I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive the Imperial.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Yeah they need something reliable and simple. It would sell like hotcakes. I am afraid the one thing that "happened" when Daimler bought Chrysler was the agressiveness of Chryslers decision on making something different, along with engineering changes has been severly curtailed by Daimler. Chrysler has always been the engineering company. Yes they made some mistakes along the way like the Airflow,(it was too far ahead of its time), but this made them smarter and stronger. In the early ninties Chrysler changed the way Everyone built Trucks and Suvs. The minivan and the T-300 RAM truck were very risky bold moves. it worked very very well, I hope they gain some of this back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.