DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some problems lately with starting my Durange 2003.

I can unlock the doors with the RC, switch on the ignition without any problems but sometimes when I want to start, you hear a big click and every thing is dead. Nothing works, not even the RC. After a few minutes it works again but sometimes it takes met upto 3 or 4 of these attemps before the V8 comes alive.

The battery has been replaced last july, and when it normally starts it always starts immediatly, have replaced now the batteries of the RC. Seems to me it has something to do with the immobilizer?

I also noted that sometimes after locking the doors with the RC 'security' ligths up in the dashboard, but this is not always......

Anyone familiair with this problem?

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Maybe your grounding is bad someplace along the line of the starter/immobilizer?

·
Registered
644 Posts
check your battery connectors, the things that clamp to the battery post, ,one might be loose, on my old beater if it was loose, everything would work then when i try to crank it a big click, and everything was dead. tighten the clamp and alls well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check the battery clamps last night (but thanks for your thread anyway), and found the + clamp indeed to be loose. So sprayed it with WD40, also the - clamp and tightened them really fast.

I hope this is it, because going to the dealer here in the middle east is not as easy as going to a dealer back home (Europe/US).

Will let you know about the progress though!

Btw if this is the problem, I can't explain it. I mean the + pole was making contact......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this must have been the problem, because yesterday no problems what so ever!!!!! Thanks.

But can anyone explain me why this can happen I mean the + clamp was a bit loose, but not that much, it was still making contact......

·
Registered
644 Posts
have you ever jumped off a dead battery in a car and seen the cables wiggle as you try and crank the dead car, its like they heat up and move just a little bit, maybe its doing the same thing with the cars cables, just a thought. hopefully you got it worked out

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Hey Surfroy)1 , there's alot of current going though the battery on startup, what feels like only a slight looseness is a lousy conductor for the currrent to flow past. Many times I've come across supposed dead batteries (mine included) only to find loose or corroded battery connections. Once you've had this problem, you should remove the terminals from the battery and clean off the oxidation and crud or you'll be more prone for it to happen again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paul,

The clamps were not corroded or anything. But according the bills, just before I bought the car, a new battery has been installed. Probably the mechanics forgot to thighten the clamps correctly.......

Dodge is starting like a dream again, no worries anymore!

Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.