DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first post on the site. I am very tempted to buy an 09 ram sport 4x4. For the people that do have them, how do you like them? I'm considering buying the ram or a 09 Tundra. Has anyone compared them, like driving both of them? I definitely think the Ram looks better, but i have been in contract with a local Toyota dealer and the have a gave me a really good price on one without talking to her besides through email. For a 4x4, well equipped, she quoted one for $27xxx plus tags and process. Anyone getting deals like this on a ram?

·
Registered
875 Posts
i have the 09 sport. love the truck. my 06 dodge doesnt compare to this one. I love the new interior and the new body style. performs great with alot of power and is the smoothest driving truck ive been in

·
Registered
108 Posts
I drove both the Ram and the Toyota. I chose the Ram. Keep in mind there are no 2009 Tundras out there yet so they may be willing to go $10-14k off of the Toyota. Even with that I liked the Ram a lot more.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The only thing I really don't like about Toyota is that I don't need to be able to do everything in my truck with work gloves their interior is awkward.

but my advise drive them both and choose which one works better for you. albeit, if Fuel economy is important both trucks get around 16 or so the Tundra is just as thirsty (used to sell them and drove them for Demo's)

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Drive them both. If you want an ugly interior and exterior, weaker frame, better trans, get the Yota. If you want supperior everything but towing and tranny get the dodge. But I'm a little Bias:D

·
Premium Member
10,539 Posts
Go with the new RAM. :D

·
?
403 Posts
i got a buddy with a yota, if your into aftermarket there is not much. but his crew is fast. I dont know about faster than the new ram. but i think the ram is better overall. storage, comfort, looks, etc. just get the ram.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you actually sat in the tundra? I have last month and i couldn't stand the interior! and the worst part to me was the doors ,Crap it was like opening the whole freaking side of the truck! doors are 1/3 to big IMHO

If the wind Caught that door it would rip half the side of the truck off before you could stop it! LOL NO JOKE! and their smaller trucks, Well their small.....to small For grown-ups IMHO

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Unless you like 14 or 15 mpg when grandpa driving your 09 Ram (search it if you don't believe me) buy the Tundra. Not to mention the fact that the 5.7 Tundra has no trouble outrunning the new Ram......
Sounds like you hate your 09....:crazy:

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it did more for the amount of gas it uses I wouldn't care at all. But it doesn't. Why bother with MDS, variable cam timing, multiport injection and all that other fluff when I can build a carbed big block that can lay down similar fuel economy numbers and run away from this truck. That's the logic I use. And no I don't like carbs and will take a injected vehicle anyday. When you have to drive like a grandpa( no hard acceleration) and stay at exactly 62 mph to get 15 mpg..........Move to 70 or 75 mph and I am right on par with my 8000 lb 2006 GMC work truck. That's a problem. That truck weighs around 2500 lbs more, has a large over canopy roof rack, 373 gears and 29" tall tires, and runs on all 8 cylinders of it's 6 litre constantly. It gets 13 mpg at 75 mph and I drive it however I want to. The gas mileage itself is a moot point.........but at least do something to justify it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it did more for the amount of gas it uses I wouldn't care at all. But it doesn't. Why bother with MDS, variable cam timing, multiport injection and all that other fluff when I can build a carbed big block that can lay down similar fuel economy numbers and run away from this truck. That's the logic I use. And no I don't like carbs and will take a injected vehicle anyday. When you have to drive like a grandpa( no hard acceleration) and stay at exactly 62 mph to get 15 mpg..........Move to 70 or 75 mph and I am right on par with my 8000 lb 2006 GMC work truck. That's a problem. That truck weighs around 2500 lbs more, has a large over canopy roof rack, 373 gears and 29" tall tires, and runs on all 8 cylinders of it's 6 litre constantly. It gets 13 mpg at 75 mph and I drive it however I want to. The gas mileage itself is a moot point.........but at least do something to justify it.
Is your RAM broken in yet? Let it warm up good, and then run it hard for the fist few thousand miles. Then check your mileage. Maybe it will get better as it wears in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is your RAM broken in yet? Let it warm up good, and then run it hard for the fist few thousand miles. Then check your mileage. Maybe it will get better as it wears in.
It's broken in, and I broke it in how I wanted to thanks. I build engines in my spare time, it's one of my hobbies. I love how it will just magically get better. No it won't. Once the rings are seated it's done, game over for break in. No more cams to break in on start up, got to love roller for that. Things loosen up with miles but it doesn't take the 10000 or more some people rave on about. If it does it means it's too tight to begin with and will most likely fail anyhow. PCM programming, fuel injectors and oxygen sensors don't break in, they either work right or not. The tranny needs next to nothing for break in, it's a fluid coupling that drives a hydraulic circuit......wow. Transfer case....bearings and chain. Rear diff needs to seat the gear set and it's done......same for the front.

Look at the mileage numbers for the rest of the 09 Ram owners on here. We are all in the same boat.

Like I said, I don't care about the money I just find it disgusting that what it does is the best it can do. This engine has nowhere near the power for the amount of fuel it eats. I am going to talk to one local dealer with regards to the PCM programming and see where it goes. I would just get rid of the thing but I will try and give it a chance. Just because I also own a Charger I am nowhere near a Dodge fan.......or a GM fan.........or a Ford fan and so on and so on. They all suck.

Sounds like you hate your 09....:crazy:
:WHT:For now at least, yes I do.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Try making that big block pass 2009 emissions, or hell even 1986 emissions standards for that matter. The 5.7 can easily make more power and get better mileage with 91/93 octane fuel + tune. It has 10.5:1 compression, so they retard the hell out of the timing to make it run just dandy on 87.

One thing you have to remember that hurts performance a lot is the drive-by-wire torque management. Most drive by wire systems won't even open the throttle all the way until the engine is over 3500 RPM or so. For most GMs, they keep the throttle at 40% until around 3300, and the throttle gets fully opened at around 4000 RPM. It will do this even if the pedal is to the floor.

A 91/93 tune + Torque management delete and it will be a completely new truck.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
It's broken in, and I broke it in how I wanted to thanks. I build engines in my spare time, it's one of my hobbies. I love how it will just magically get better. No it won't. Once the rings are seated it's done, game over for break in. No more cams to break in on start up, got to love roller for that. Things loosen up with miles but it doesn't take the 10000 or more some people rave on about. If it does it means it's too tight to begin with and will most likely fail anyhow. PCM programming, fuel injectors and oxygen sensors don't break in, they either work right or not. The tranny needs next to nothing for break in, it's a fluid coupling that drives a hydraulic circuit......wow. Transfer case....bearings and chain. Rear diff needs to seat the gear set and it's done......same for the front.

Look at the mileage numbers for the rest of the 09 Ram owners on here. We are all in the same boat.

Like I said, I don't care about the money I just find it disgusting that what it does is the best it can do. This engine has nowhere near the power for the amount of fuel it eats. I am going to talk to one local dealer with regards to the PCM programming and see where it goes. I would just get rid of the thing but I will try and give it a chance. Just because I also own a Charger I am nowhere near a Dodge fan.......or a GM fan.........or a Ford fan and so on and so on. They all suck.

:WHT:For now at least, yes I do.
I'm kind of getting sick of you posting negative crap all the time. I respect your opinion, but get something new. It seems like the same thing you post everytime, (engine break-in, bad fuel milage, black exaust tips, 1500HD getting 13mpg). If you are that unhappy, go get a new truck, and go post on there forums how much you hate it. Continuesly posting negative things about Dodge on a Dodge forum, isn't going to get you all that many fans, unless you are trying to fix it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try making that big block pass 2009 emissions, or hell even 1986 emissions standards for that matter. The 5.7 can easily make more power and get better mileage with 91/93 octane fuel + tune. It has 10.5:1 compression, so they retard the hell out of the timing to make it run just dandy on 87.

One thing you have to remember that hurts performance a lot is the drive-by-wire torque management. Most drive by wire systems won't even open the throttle all the way until the engine is over 3500 RPM or so. For most GMs, they keep the throttle at 40% until around 3300, and the throttle gets fully opened at around 4000 RPM. It will do this even if the pedal is to the floor.

A 91/93 tune + Torque management delete and it will be a completely new truck.
That's all fine and dandy.........if you read some of my other posts I even explain most of what you have just said(the timing issues due to the compression, torque management and so on). I went through all that crap with my car and I know exactly how poorly they tune them, even if they recommend 91 octane or higher. That and if this thing running as rich as it does passes emmissions, it can't be all that hard to do. So where are the tuners exactly.....there aren't any. If there were my truck would already have had the tuning issues fixed.

I'm kind of getting sick of you posting negative crap all the time. I respect your opinion, but get something new. It seems like the same thing you post everytime, (engine break-in, bad fuel milage, black exaust tips, 1500HD getting 13mpg). If you are that unhappy, go get a new truck, and go post on there forums how much you hate it. Continuesly posting negative things about Dodge on a Dodge forum, isn't going to get you all that many fans, unless you are trying to fix it.
That's ok......... don't read my posts if they bug you then. I don't have to think everything is wonderful all the time either. Sometimes negativity can arouse some change. If everyone here is happy with a gas pig..........not much can be done. No one has posted any sort of solution towards why this engine runs like such a bag. Everyone here gets the same shitty fuel economy I do and why exactly...........Tuning is an issue and I have said that from day one but when no aftermarket parts exist for the platform yet you are stuck with finding other solutions. It's not like I can walk into a Dodge dealer and tell them that I get bad mileage and want a more agressive tune.......doesn't work that way. I will go to the dealer and talk to them with regards to this issue and see what they say. I have a pretty good idea of what it will be but I can give them a chance. The GM trucks with the L9H get better mileage than this for examples sake. And yes, I would have bought one if GM's 6 speed tranny wasn't ratioed so poorly. That and GM has a pretty cheesy interior for a loaded truck. I honestly don't care if I make any fans on forums and never have. I am going to try and find a solution because no one else out there bothers and as with most people ignore the problem and hope it goes away. Kind of hard at the moment when I am 250 miles from home...and the truck. I plan on calling the one dealers service department on Monday. Grumble and bitch when they have to fill the truck up but don nothing else about it. If the solution is selling the truck, I have absolutely no problem with that. And just because you were so fanboyish in your post how about this. Maybe you should go and buy a 2009 Ram so you actually have an opinion.

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
Ignoring the personal stuff, I do think the 09 Ram stock performance verses mpg, and upgradable components relative to a specific truck segment, does mean more to some as it relates to the competition; whereas for others the chance to get into something a little different from the norm regarding a particular brand has it's own appeal. In this case, lets say Dodge, then it's totally reasonable to see opposing, but informative views put forth. This only enriches the discussion, and adds to the general knowledge base.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll trade you...

I live in lower portion of Tenn. I have a 2007 Ford FX2 Crew Cab with the 4.6 (31000 miles) Ill trade you even if you have a crew cab with floor shifter if you want.
Heck my Dodge dealership said they would let me sale my truck through them so I can get more for my truck. I though it was pretty cool. That was if someone needs financing or such..... My local is tring to help me. they only want to give 16000 for my trade in...:cheerl:

Buy the way when looking at a new ford did anyone see what the tundra on the ford compare site? I would say I think the tudra looks neat but not for any rough roads whew! It would not last long....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.