DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
BrandonSC said:
Do you guys think upgrading my plugs, wires, and distributor will help my gas mileage and power. Or do you think I should save for tires and wheels?
I know that upgrading your plugs, wires, ignition coil, rotor and distributer cap will get you better mileage...the increase depends on various circumstances though.

You don't need to replace your distributor unless you have a driveability concern and the cause is found to be your distributer.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you guys have.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
now i know that brandon has the 5.9 so i cant speak for him. but i know that the 03-up hemi and 4.7 use the distributorless ignitions so how is changing the distributor going to help?? also i heard that the coil packs on these trucks were really good any truth to that or is there something better?? the only way i think you can improve it is w/ a msd box (or comparable other product) correct me if i am wrong. i dont know for sure. and is anyone running on fo these boxs??

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
03ramit1 said:
now i know that brandon has the 5.9 so i cant speak for him. but i know that the 03-up hemi and 4.7 use the distributorless ignitions so how is changing the distributor going to help?? also i heard that the coil packs on these trucks were really good any truth to that or is there something better?? the only way i think you can improve it is w/ a msd box (or comparable other product) correct me if i am wrong. i dont know for sure. and is anyone running on fo these boxs??
You are exactly right. The Hemi (i don't know about 4.7) does not have a distributor and the coilpacks are great from stock so going with an aftermarket ignition system would be worthless unless you were making some serious HP's....

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
well i have the 4.7 and it has coil packs as well. i was thinking about adding a msd box to get the captive discharge and multiple spark from it to make it POSSABLY act like the hemi twin plug set up but i havent decided yet. but i really dont know if it will do what i am looking for. or if its even possable at all. before everyone starts in i know it cant be like a hemi. but thats not what i am looking for. i am looking at the multiple spark thing. and it can be like a hemi in that aspect.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
03ramit1 said:
well i have the 4.7 and it has coil packs as well. i was thinking about adding a msd box to get the captive discharge and multiple spark from it to make it POSSABLY act like the hemi twin plug set up but i havent decided yet. but i really dont know if it will do what i am looking for. or if its even possable at all. before everyone starts in i know it cant be like a hemi. but thats not what i am looking for. i am looking at the multiple spark thing. and it can be like a hemi in that aspect.
I guess it depends on how much it is(?) If anything I you'll get better throttle response, smoother revving, and couple mpg's. Nothing big though for the cost. Get a set of cams or headers..?

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
you can buy the msd box for about $200 and cams and heads run alot more and if you get better mpg's then why not?? i dont know if it will work on a distributorless ignition though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.