DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma. I have been lurking around these forums for over a year now. I have lined up a semi-local dealer to sell me a Magnums SRT-8 when they are available @ MSRP. Now I'm having second thoughts about the SRT-8 Magnum or, actually, any Magnum really. I'm seeing lots of 2005 Magnums in my area of So. Calif., 99% stock, and I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm. I don't know, the stock ones are just not making me want to have one now. If it's not lowered and skinned with 20"+ wheels, it's just not doing it for me. I don't want to "jettison" my current (paid-in-full) ride to discover that I've settled for something because I got caught up in the "HEMI" thing!

I'm going to hang in there until my SRT-8 arrives and if it doesn't make me squirt (stock) , I'm going to pass. I don't know, I might then just keep driving what I'm driving and order a Charger SRT-8 that should be available around November or December from what I'm reading or go for the Chrysler 300C SRT-8 that should, hopefully, be priced around MSRP by then.

I'm being totally honest here. I've now spent a year monitoring all of these Magnum forums on a daily basis. (actually morning and night usually as I'm semi-retired), collecting 100s of web sites about this car and now I'm having second thoughts. WTF! I know this isn't buyers remorse as I am still waiting for the "OK" on my SRT-8 order.

F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate this!!!

Anyone out there experiencing the same thing?
KK

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
Why can't you just mod one when you get it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah me. I'm torn between getting a 2005 Magnum at a REALLY good price or a new Charger R/T (srt is to rich for my blood, one day though one day). I'll probably end up going for the charger (especially with all those mods that S. Weigel visualized for me thanks!). But yeah the Magnums are really starting to come out. Also for some reason all of a sudden a bunch of various 300m/c are showing up everywhere. The Charger will be a nice new face in the bunch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
qzking said:
If it's not lowered and skinned with 20"+ wheels,
Keep the faith KK.

SRT-8s will come lowered and riding on 20's so you'll have a headstart.

You've already got your SRT on the way so you're in the catbird seat.

When it comes in, go and drive it around the block a couple times. If you drive a car like 99.9% of the rest of us the SRT WILL make you squirt!

If not, the dealer won't mind too much because it will be easy to move and he'll probably make more on it than selling it to you at MSRP. Since the alternative to the Magnum SRT is either no car or the Charger which won't come out until later anyway.

Plus as someone else pointed out you can always customize your SRT to be exactly what you want.

I changed my mind for a number of reasons and decided to go to an R/T.

I currently drive a '99 C43 AMG and still occasionally get people stopping me on the street to ask how I like it or just tell me how much they like it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just think about all the guys who are kicking themselves in the ass for saying the same thing you are about the Hemi Cuda's/Challengers, Road Runners, Chargers, etc. You're about to buy a classic that will be worth a small fortune in your old age. How many million Honda Accords do ya see in L.A.? No matter how many Magnums are out there, there still outnumbered by everything else, and the SRT-8's will be even fewer. If you want to be exclusive, go old or REALLY expensive. If you're just an average guy, the SRT-8 is the way to go!!!
Dan
'05 Magnum RT (It ain't a '71 44- Cuda, but hopefully someday!!!).

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
Don't understand why you need the thing to be stock to make it your baby. The car needs mods... although I'd say an SRT-8 needs a damn sight fewer of them. I'd still trade out those wheels... and stow them in the garage as that car is destined to be a classic and you'll want to be able to take it back to stock someday.

For the money I pumped in to my Magnum (to add to my laundrylist, the SpoilerCam goes in tomorrow and the resonators and tips get cut out and replaced on Tuesday morning) I could have had an SRT-8. Almost. However at the same time I wouldn't have MDS and frankly thats something I must have. No room for a garage queen in my garage, although I wish there was.

·
Registered
116 Posts
blackarmy said:
Yeah me. I'm torn between getting a 2005 Magnum at a REALLY good price or a new Charger R/T (srt is to rich for my blood, one day though one day). I'll probably end up going for the charger (especially with all those mods that S. Weigel visualized for me thanks!). But yeah the Magnums are really starting to come out. Also for some reason all of a sudden a bunch of various 300m/c are showing up everywhere. The Charger will be a nice new face in the bunch.
Not when every cop car you see driving one

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SpoilerCam?

MattRobertson said:
the SpoilerCam goes in tomorrow and the resonators and tips get cut out and replaced on Tuesday morning)
Matt,
SpoilerCam? I see it listed on your "comming soon" list as Front SpoilerCam. What is it?
KK

·
Registered
20 Posts
qz, just hang in there man. A year is an awful lot of anticipation, and I'll bet you're just going through a lull. After all, I only decided in January to order an '06 R/T and I've still got around 1.5 months to go (on second order, long story). It's killing me at times but being a new dad (and some good beers) take a lot of the edge off.

Hopefully all the recent news about SRT orders has given you new enthusiasm. If not, just get it on order already and kick back for a while!

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
qzking said:
Matt,
SpoilerCam? I see it listed on your "comming soon" list as Front SpoilerCam. What is it?
Its being installed right now. Put the StumpJumper in the back of the Magnum, drove to the stereo shop, left the car there and rode to work.

The SpoilerCam has been the biggest PITA of all my Magnum mods. Thats what you get when you try something pretty much no one has done before (except Grinner of course. Sort of).

Here's the deal: I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs on. They settled to a 1.75" drop eventually, and thats well below most curbs and parking bumpers. Add to that the fact my depth perception *sucks*. So I wind up parking 3 feet-plus from everything. Sometimes so far back I have to get back in and inch up some more. And I know that, someday, I *will* eff up.

So I had a hi-res color cam mouned low in the front spoiler (I have an E&G mesh grille with the lower insert so this is easier than you'd think). Then my drivers side visor has a 5 1/4" color LCD mounted in it. When I get up to a parking spot, I flip down the visor, turn on the camera and...

We originally tried doing it in the stock visor. Turns out these are a solid plastic, which (I'm told) is unusual. Wound up with a custom unit that we then had to get custom upholstered (twice) to hold the screen.

Grinner did something similar but he has a custom nav system that allows video inputs from front and back. I don't have nav at all so I needed a whole new place to put the screen. Didn't want to drop the kind of coins I'd need to do a nav system. Not sure if he mounted his front cam low, either.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt,
Wow! That's hi-tech. Good news here. Just got my VON # on a new SRT-8 Magnum. Brilliant Black Cyrstal Pearl Coat with every available option. I had been working with a dealer about 50 miles from home that said he would sell me one @ MSRP. When the cars came available to order this week I called and the guy wouldn't/hasn't returned my calls or e-mails. Got pissed this morning and started calling all the local dealers again and bought one for MSRP within 10 miles of home! I hope the other guy calls me back now! Not sure of delivery time yet. Will keep everyone updated!
KK

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kenny,

That jives with my experience. It looks like now that they are available for sale every dealer around is happy to order for MSRP!

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
Congrats! If you've got a VON you've got a car :D

Wish I could have done an SRT-8, but the lack of MDS would have put it out of reach over time. I spend fifty bucks per gas tank now. Gotta have that MDS edge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Out with Magnum

I had ordered a Hemi Magnun last year and got tired of waiting, My wife and I deceided on a new Sequoia, it has been a great SUV no problems at all, Dodge can kept their Hemis, they seem to be albe to build plenty of six cylinder Magnums without a markup, so to H-ll with them, Lee

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't really understand your post fosman.

Hemi Magnum R/T's with the 5.7L engines are selling for $2000 or better off of Sticker Price. The magnum being discussed in this thread is a very special limited edition version with a 425hp 6.1L engine. This vehicle only hit the dealer order system yesterday so it is not surprising that one must pay MSRP for it at this time.

If you're upset that you really wanted a Magnum but weren't willing to pay/wait for it then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you can trade in the Sequoia.

The SRT-8 and the Sequoia have different missions in life. The Sequoia is an acceptable car for dragging kids or skis or other cargo around etc.

The SRT-8 can carry a little less cargo or you can use the rear to carry around all the Mustang GT or C5 corvette doors you leave in your wake!

·
Registered
155 Posts
fosman77 said:
I had ordered a Hemi Magnun last year and got tired of waiting, My wife and I deceided on a new Sequoia, it has been a great SUV no problems at all, Dodge can kept their Hemis, they seem to be albe to build plenty of six cylinder Magnums without a markup, so to H-ll with them, Lee
Umm...so why are you here?

I bought my Magnum off a dealer lot in December (1 month after you were looking to get yours) for invoice. You gotta look around and, if need be, pit dealers against one another.

Seriously, he's looking at a Magnum SRT-8, I don't think he's gonna pass it up for a Sequoia.

...Where's the Sequoia forum? Oh yeah, not here...this is DODGEtalk.com...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wholesale +

Dan,
You won't believe this. When I finally got the FAX from the dealer with the VON number, it had two rows of pricing. MSRP & FWP. I finally figured out that the FWP meant Fleet Wholesale Price. Now, I understand that there is more mark-up than this price but I couldn't figure out why it was printed out on my copy. So me and a buddy run down there with a deposit check and meet the Fleet Manager. Nice guy. We're sitting there and he asks me what price was I quoted by so & so. (now no longer with the company guy) I really had not spoken with anyone and told him that I had not been quoted a price yet and started to ready myself for the "bad news". He laughs and says, "Well, it's going to cost you $1000.00 over". Now I'm saying to myself, I'm ready to fly to Portland to pick up a car. $1000.00 over doesn't sound that bad. Then he says, that's $1000.00 over FWP! Well, guess what? I just bought the 1st SRT-8 that this dealer has ordered "sold" for about $1600.00 under MSRP! It was all I could do to not jump over the desk and kiss this guy! Nice guy, no hassle. Not the biggest dealer in the area though and he told me some horror stories about delivery on the first RT's last year. Said it was months before he got the cars he ordered. He said that DMC promised that they were going to remedy that this year but he said he could not promise a delivery date but that he would call the DM and would get back to me next week.

They had a black RT on the showroom floor with a custom hood with a scoop and louvers with 20" (may have been 22's. I was still euphoric at that point) black spoked wheels, eye brow on the back. It also had DVD monitors on the headrests that stuck out about 2" and looked, as my buddy that's not into Magnums like us said, an afterthought. They had a bunch of RTs in stock and he said they were having a hard time moving them. Said he had a "fully loaded" RT that you could get in the low 30's. I went out in the lot and I saw a bunch of RT's with aftermarket wheels and tires sitting there. Looks like anyone looking for a 2005 RT should be able to wheel-and-deal right now.

Anyway, I have the print-out of the prices on the option packages in hand now if anyone has any questions. I should have my VIN # next week and will start going through all of the stress that I have watched a bunch of you go through over the last year. BTW, he couldn't supply me with an SRT-8 brochure. Said DMC told him they're not making that many anyways so they're not going to print any more. I guess all of the E. Coast dealers got them. I may just have to spend that $4.99 plus $4.95 shipping on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7971264419&category=34218&sspagename=WDVW to get one to sleep with. I'll start saving up for that now!
KK

dantodd said:
Kenny,That jives with my experience. It looks like now that they are available for sale every dealer around is happy to order for MSRP!

·
Registered
205 Posts
sounds like you're over the hesitation you were feeling at first!

:)

congrats. I will be down for a ride at some point!

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I don't see a problem with not liking the Magnum...you just don't know good taste! :D

Ha ha ha haaah...just kidding. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.