·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think they would look great. I would do that as opposed to putting the R/T rims on as I did. The 16" factory rims are forged, the factory 17" rims are cast. Basically there is a 69lb weight difference between the two, and I'm talking rotational weight which really taxes your acceleration.
I would say though, that if you already have the factory 16" rims and are just looking to upgrade to chrome, you should be able to save money by just doing the chrome exchange deal that several wheel outfits offer. They send you chrome rims, you send them back your painted rims once you've swapped over the tires.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Where do I sign up? (off to look)
I can't find a relevant site, please give a hint.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
those are nice. Hercules had a good idea, but you can also purchase these and have the factory ones on hand for winter?

Search for a powder coating company - they will probably be able to do chroming as well.

attached is a picture of an OEM Ram off-road wheel which was powder coated by a shop - with good results. I'm assuming they can do the same level of work in Chroming.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
B1G BLEU said:
Where do I sign up? (off to look)
I can't find a relevant site, please give a hint.
http://www.capitalwheels.com/store/customer/home.php and there are others around the web. Just a note, if you are going to use these in the winter in NY, they will get damaged. Nothing great but pits in the chrome will form from the road salt, particularly in between the spokes. Aftermarket chrome is not clear coated. Why not look into the chrome wheel skins that are around. I've seen a number of posts on various forums that say they really don't look bad.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Neil, they do mention the 1yr warr does not apply to salt in the FAQ, that seems like a big risk for 12mo of chrome whels. Tthe skins sound good but whenever I see a fake mag wheel, it's usually cheesy. A local dist. recommended me to a chrome plating place, it'll be difficult getting the rims there, I'll have to put it up on blocks. LOL

Huffster, I wonder if it was the R/T wheels or the covers?

Kevin, good idea, maybe I'll get them in AB if it's more durable. I plan on having this truck a long time, I don't want to deal w/annual wheel crap, I've already enough to do w/the house, pool, wife, 3 rats and a golden retriever that's old enough for a learner's permit.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Note on the wheel skins, if you get them, according to posts I have read about them, put tape over the metal tabs that hold them on. They will scratch your wheels.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chad, HUH?
Neil, I looked at the install inst., I'd have to relocate the weights to the back side of the rim, the covers clip around the rim.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I decided to try out the wheelskins for the 17 R/T rims. I've been looking at having mine either polished or chromed, so this might work out better.
I'll let you know how they look and fit.
I always have my alloy wheels balanced with sticky weights so no weights are attached to the outside of the rim. Otherwise your wheels get scratched.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great, Herc, I thought the r/t's were chrome. My factory wheels have the weights that clip on, unfortunately I don't have a balancing machine to convert them and test it. However, it's 3 yrs old, I guess I could go for a rebalancing.
I hope the covers look better than the cheesy chrome covers of the 80's

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Chrome was an upgrade for the R/T rims....otherwise they are just painted silver.
I hope they look better than those cheesy covers of old as well!!!
At worst it will give me an idea of how chrome rims will look as opposed to painted.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Chrome rims were standard on the R/T in 03. There were no silver painted R/T wheels offered.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
OK, here is a wheelskin on 17" R/T rims.
It fits very well...its hard to tell its a hubcap unless you're very close.
I'm not sure the effect would be as good with the 16" rims. With those I would just have them polished. I'll give another update after a few days.

Attachments

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the pic, the cover went over the taped on weights?

It looks like the rim is not symmetrical, like the right side (front) spokes are shorter. That must be a camera flaw.

What's a GT?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
B1G BLEU said:
Thanks for the pic, the cover went over the taped on weights?

It looks like the rim is not symmetrical, like the right side (front) spokes are shorter. That must be a camera flaw.

What's a GT?
The taped on weights are located on the inside of the wheel...there are no weights visible on the outside.
The covers are pretty high quality. They fit well, you can not tell they are covers unless you're right up on them....maybe the camera had trouble with the chrome image with it set at the lowest resolution. I'll try some more.

What's a GT? A cross betwen an SLT+ and a R/T.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.