DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 lwb Cummins. Most every time I hit a bump or pothole the drivers side tire keeps jumping til I slow down to a very slow speed. Its like a jack hammer. The jump or bounce doesn't get any less if you contiue to drive the same speed. It feels like it is jumping 6" and it will throw every thing in the truck all over the place. I replace the shocks and it seems to help with the amount of times it happens but it didn't eliminate the problem. I would really appreciate any input on this problem.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Do a search on death wooble, Im not familiar with it so I cant help but you might find alot of info on this site regarding your problem...

How many miles do you have on your truck?

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I don't know the answer man, but that doesn't sound good to me. I had a similar situation with my whole front end when I had my front shocks installed wrong. It just bounced up and down like crazy, til I mounted them properly.

KB

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have you changed the tires or rotated them. My Grandf cherokee did the same thing it was lifted so high it screwed up the caster. I had a heavy duty adjuster put in and was gone.

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
Definately Death Wobble. You need to replace the trackbar and possibly the ball joints. www.thurenfabrication.com has your best choice for a trackbar.

·
Registered
603 Posts
a 2004 with 120,000 miles now thats a lot driving, could be a bent rim

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
slammed1 said:
Guys have had good luck placing dual steering stabilizers in place of the junky single stocker to help aid in this problem. Not all but Most guys with this symptom have larger than factory tires installed.
Dual stabilizers are just a bandaid. Im serious dude. Does it feel like its gonna rip the wheel from your hand? It doesnt quit till you slow down? Its death wobble. Ive been through this with my old truck. Replacing the trackbar cured mine completely. It should cure yours to but if it doesnt than you have bad balljoints. Lift your truck up on each side just enough to get the front tires off the ground (individually). Grab the tire on the top and bottom and shake (more of a push/pull). If there is movement than you have bad ball joints and those need be replaced. My bet is still the trackbar though. Go to the link i posted a couple of posts up and order you one of his trackbars. Ill be going with his when i lift my truck.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
98v10ram said:
Dual stabilizers are just a bandaid. Im serious dude. Does it feel like its gonna rip the wheel from your hand? It doesnt quit till you slow down? Its death wobble. Ive been through this with my old truck. Replacing the trackbar cured mine completely. It should cure yours to but if it doesnt than you have bad balljoints. Lift your truck up on each side just enough to get the front tires off the ground (individually). Grab the tire on the top and bottom and shake (more of a push/pull). If there is movement than you have bad ball joints and those need be replaced. My bet is still the trackbar though. Go to the link i posted a couple of posts up and order you one of his trackbars. Ill be going with his when i lift my truck.
I am fully aware of track bar problems,I filled the metal dumpster daily with them while I was at the dealership working. Heres the deal though....this guy has a 2004 (or so I assumed by his post and sig) and those track bars do NOT have the same end at the frame as the earlier 94-2002 2500 and 3500. These newer trucks dont wear the track bars as much as the older models do.

The whole KEY is to fully check your suspension for any looseness in any area and replace as needed.But the dual stabilizers will help more than you think.

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
slammed1 said:
I am fully aware of track bar problems,I filled the metal dumpster daily with them while I was at the dealership working. Heres the deal though....this guy has a 2004 (or so I assumed by his post and sig) and those track bars do NOT have the same end at the frame as the earlier 94-2002 2500 and 3500. These newer trucks dont wear the track bars as much as the older models do.

The whole KEY is to fully check your suspension for any looseness in any area and replace as needed.But the dual stabilizers will help more than you think.
I agree, the dual stabilizers will help, but its still just masking a bigger problem. While the 3rd gen trackbars are a better design, they are still prone to failure, and with 120k on the clock id be willing to bet thats his problem. I could be wrong, its happened before, but when i had the death wobble a new trackbar cured it 100%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah 98v10ram its a wicked shake or more like the tire is jumping. You have to slow down under 20mph to get it to stop. I think I am going to try the track bar previously mentioned. Probably not a bad idea to add the dual steering stabilizer to.

Again thanks for all the info guys.
Tim

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts

·
DODGETHIS
206 Posts
tire bounce

might try checking your tie rods. my dad had the same problem we took it for and alignment and found the tie rods were bad, easy way to tell, is look at the boot and see if its torn. hope this might help, or at least elminate one cause.

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
ramthis06 said:
might try checking your tie rods. my dad had the same problem we took it for and alignment and found the tie rods were bad, easy way to tell, is look at the boot and see if its torn. hope this might help, or at least elminate one cause.

This is a good point and one i had totally forgotten about. If its not the track bar, than i would look at this next. As a matter of fact, thuren has a kit that gets rid of the factory tie rods as well.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I wonder what he found as an outcome of the problem ...... did you ever get this resolved?
am curiouse to find out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.