DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ya'll got me in circles... i'm gettin' new tires... nitto's terra grappler... 305/55/R20's... my buddy told me that the 325/60/R20 would rub when i turn cause they are about a 13.5" wide tire... if i leveled my truck would they still rub?... and i'd like to level my truck anyway... my head is spinning here... use a leveling kit... don't use a leveling kit... crank the bars... crankin' the bars will wear hard on your truck... i've got a 2003 1500 4x4... who can help... i need to know stat about the 325s cause i need to fix my order... i'd like to have the bigger tires but not if it's gonna be more trouble than it's worth...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and what's the "PA" part of 3" PA BODY LIFT?

·
Registered
603 Posts
i just bought a truxxx leveling kit http://www.truxxx.com/
250 shipped bucks i got from fat bobs garage truxx claims that by cranking on the bolts that you cause more harm than good i did not want to chance it so i got the truxxx kit . it also comes with shock relocation brackets so you can use you stock shocks i hope to do the install next weekend they claim about an hr but you need to get an front end alignment

·
Registered
114 Posts
You do not need a kit or any T-keys. Just turn the bolts on you Trans crossmember, I did my truck about 7-8 months about no issues at all my shocks are still stock. You can get extentions from the auto parts store or blistens are very good from what I hear. I am not sure about the metic scale on the tires but I ahve 35's by 12.50 with no rubbing at all. maybe someone will chime in?

Attachments

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
the 325's will rub on the swaybar

torsion bar keys vs. cranking has always been a hot issue, and from what I've seen,

torsion keys = 300$ + install

torsion crank = free

both get the same stance in the end

and, as for wear on the truck, they both do the same thing, just at different points in the suspension

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
im with chauncy and camo. the keys are a waste of money. WASTE OF MONEY. just crank on the bars aduster bolts. youll be find, and you can always reverse it just as easy when needed, if needed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
both my dealer and truxxx claim it will cause more stress on the bars when you do a t-bar crank thats just what they told me, now the dealer does not sell the truxxx kit but they have used them to lift some of there new trucks and you can only get about 2" on a crank where you get up to 3" with the kit. as for the install they claim you can do it in about 1-2 hrs with simple hand tools you can look at the intall directions at there website truxx in there website they say you need a balljoint press but they told me a large c-clamp works just fine
i'm not try to brag this kit up i have not even intalled it yet just thought i would pass the info along they they gave me

·
Registered
114 Posts
To me it just seems like a waste of money to me... I have had no issues at all with my stock T-keys, shocks, or anything else on the front end. I have used it off road a couple times, most of my driving is to work and the GFs house but... I have beat on it once or twice I was tring to pull another truck out one day and broke the snaped the recivier off my hitch... hopefully resse will replace this?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Maybe It Is For Some But I Also Have Airbags In The Back And That Lifts It More Than Stock So I Like The Idea Of That Little Extra Room Up Front

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
of course truxx is gonna say that. you think they are gonna say there is no benifit...just spend your money cause we would like it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I installed the keys on my truck. Word of advice though. Use the ball joint press tool. You can rent them at most auto parts stores...no biggie. I wouldn't suggest using a large c-clamp. I went that route and wound up springing 3 of the large ones. I got it done but, bent them out of whack a bit and they don't line up very well anymore. They just aren't made to make that kind of pressure. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well... confused or not... i'm gonna take a crack at it today... we'll see...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahaha... thanks...

·
Registered
129 Posts
If torsion bars need to be twisted to a amount to achieve 2" of lift and your OE keys will allow you to that why would anyone want to buy aftermarket keys to turn the torsion bars to the same amount ?
If you like the idea that the aftermarket keys will let you get more height out of just twisting the torsion bars more then you are buying them for the wrong reason . If you want more than 2" of lift buy a real lift kit .
If you cranked you OE keys until you ran out of thread the ride would be horrible and if you cranked the aftermarket keys to get the same ride height it would ride exactly the same , terrible .
If you want to go to larger tires you would not want shock extensions to reuse you OE shocks anyway ,wouldn`t you want better shocks for the added weight of the larger tires ?.
Use your stock Keys to get 2" of lift or less and use the money you save on the level kit junk and buy a good set of Bilsteins .I did and ran 12.50 35x17
I cranked my bars until I thought it was to stiff or when the rebound started to be annoying which it will when you go to far then I backed off a whole turn . Different trucks require a different number of turns on the adjuster bolt to reach a certain height .
Put you truck on level ground and take measurments from the top of the wheel opening to the ground so you know exactly how much lift you gain.
Both level kit and the free way require a front end alignment after adjustment . I did my own shadetree alignment until I achieved the ride and height combination I wanted .
I sold my chrome 20`s and installed 17x8 Factory Offroadster wheels to keep back spacing close to stock to save on front end problems caused by less back spacing . I also use 12.50 35`s with no rub with just torsion bars cranked and I just this week end I installed a 3" PA Body lift only because I like the looks of the truck with a little more space in the wheel wells than I had with just the torsion bars cranked . Don`t let people talk you into spending money for no reason . Do research and look at who has done what to their trucks ,not just here but many of the Dodge forums and you will find most people just crank their torsion bars to achieve a little lift as I said it that it not enough buy a real lift kit not just keys , you already have keys use them for a little lift ,their free. Use the Bilstein 5100/5125 series ( silver in color not yellow ) shocks for the best ride ,feels like you never touched the suspension when your finished

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
why did it seem like you were yelling at me with that post... hahaha... j/k... it's all good... i already cranked my t bars today... i'm happy with that... now i just wanna get the shocks... i just didn't understand the whole concept at first... i'm good to go now... i'm used to old cars people... i tinker on a '51 GMC... this new offroad truck stuff is new to me... hahaha...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I didn`t mean to make it sound like I was yelling I just get aggravated when someone tries to mislead people to get them to spend money . Being almost 52 I have been tinkering for years myself and understand how you feel about the changes in vehicles which is why I only tinker in certain areas and nothing I can`t undo if I am unhappy with the results . good luck tinkering , its addictive isn`t it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh it sure is... i currently have my most extreme tinkering extravaganze to date... i had a buddy who blew up his s-10... so i bought it from him for a 150 bucks... did some checkin' around and found it's not a hard swap to put the body of my '51 on the s-10 chassis... my truck is so far from stock anyways... so i figured why not... they even made a kit for throwin' in a V8 on the s-10... so i picked up a small block 400... i just finished getting the chassis prep'd... i'm gonna paint it here in the next couple weeks... throw the motor in... fab up new body mounts... and then start the madness of throwin' the body on it... it'll prove to be a lot of fun...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
for anybody that's interested in my above post... this is what we did to tear down the s-10...

s-10 tear down

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.