DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 73 Van (not sure which model) with 360. He recently had what I suspect was the ignition control module replaced by a mobile mechanic. He said it was a "metal plate in the distributor". Apparently the mechanic did not adjust timing after this repair and my friend suspects the timing is off. I have never even looked at this engine. I have no timing light. I am wondering if it is possible to time it by:

1) attaching a test light at some point in the distributor
2) rotate engine either manual or with remote start switch to specified timing setting-- (is it supposed to be 7 deg. ATDC? I read that on another post?)
3) watch for test light to light up as I rotate the distributor

I've done this on older vehicles with points ignitions, but if it was an ignition module he had replaced, I assume that it does not have a points system. Any help would be appreciated. If you would like to know some of the symptoms he gave me I will be glad to post them, however they are a little vague. :help:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
What the mechanic replaced was the pickup module in the distributor...the ignition module (ECU) is mounted under the hood on the firewall bulkhead.

Anyhoo I don't think the test light trick will work on electronic ignition.

Your buddy should buy a timing light or take it back to his mechanic to set the timing...I believe the vans had a little "window" in the trans. bellhousing so you can see the timing marks on the torque converter.

Also there should be a sticker under the hood that will have the base timing listed on it provided it didn't get peeled off over the years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.