DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my sisters 99 Caravan. The issue started by the Ignition fuse blowing when the switch would be put in the "RUN" position, no other time. Did this for awhile then ran for about a week then died and started doing it again. Then it would blow the fuse only when off idle and now its back to doing it in the run position. I have done a lot of reading and youtubing but have not seen this issue. All acc work, the engine cranks, the only issue is the fuse blowing in run position. With all the research, reading wiring diagrams, youtubing and tracing wires I have found that it only blows the fuse if the alternators 2 wire plug is connected, no other time. Had the alt tested (off vehicle) and it tested good. Any one have any idea if the the alt could have a short that would blow the fuse and still test good or any other idea?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update, I did some more research and realized I didn't check to see if I had the short between the alt and pcm/ecm. I disconnected the wires leading to it and the fuse would not blow, reconnected it and the fuse would blow. So I have come to the conclusion that the problem is in my pcm/ecm. I will post back if this is the issue.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update 2 I took the pcm out of the problem, i disconnected the pcm then did the wire bypass on the relay slots and the fuse blows. I am now back to thinking its between the alt and the pcm.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 3, after all my testing and research and the darn alt having tested good i went to one of the local junkyards and got an alt from and bolted it and so far no issues. Tomorrow i will be taking the bad alt to one of the other parts stores to have retest done. If they dont make it good i will be contacting the corperate office.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final update (i hope), i took the bad alt to the parts store and the guy replaced it without testing it. Put the new one in and it has been runnig great. Now to get my sister to come pick it up so i can have my truck back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts