DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm sure you have all been through this before, but I need advice....I just purchased my 03 CTD/AUTO about 2 months ago. Right after buying it, one of the injectors failed, and the dealer said 2 others were dirty (improper spray). They pulled the ECM log and found the engine had run approx. 40% of it's life at idle speed (under 10mph), which probably is true considering it was used as a welders rig. The bad inj. was replaced, and a BG service cleaned the rest.

I since have noticed that the engine takes forever to warm up. So today I took it to my Dodge dealer with a copy of TSB#18-004-04 in hand which detailed how to enable "idle-up" on the ECM (I had been told by other dealers that this is not an option on '03s). After working on it for over an hour, the dealer told me that the feature did not even appear in the software for this truck. What is the truth? According to what I have read, it is a default for the Cummins ECM, but that Dodge disables it.............Is it? or isn't it? If so, how do I get it turned on? HELP?!?!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I tried getting the dealer to install the high idle on my 01, after a flash and update, they said they couldn't do it. They said it was for 2004+ CTD, but this was over a year ago, things may have changed, or they may have been just blowing smoke up my ass so I'd stop hassling them.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The automatic high idle comes on if your IAT is 68 degrees or less.

He is talking about the cruise control activated high idle.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
The automatic high idle comes on if your IAT is 68 degrees or less.
More like 30--32*F.

Greg

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
gsbrockman said:
More like 30--32*F.

Greg
Sorry, number from cummins there buddy. If you let it idle long enough when the IAT is about 60 degrees, the auto high idle will come on.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I dunno, cummins uses difrent software then Dodge. I had mine idle for over a half hour last week by accident and it never came up to high idle, at it was in the high 30s. I have had it in sub freezing temps, but its usually plugged in which throws off the temps.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
HemiMagnum said:
Sorry, number from cummins there buddy. If you let it idle long enough when the IAT is about 60 degrees, the auto high idle will come on.
Sorry......my info comes from actual real-world experiences with my truck since purchase and when the odometer showed 3 miles on the clock. I've never had an automatic increase in idle on my '03 at anything above 36--38*F. That's not so say Cummins did not change some programming with the 600 engines.....but I've still never heard of any high-idle occuring on any 600's around 60*F, either.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.