DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Durango 4.7 with 78,000 miles. At about 75,000 the idle started surging,it will go from 650 to about 1800. It does not do it all the time though.
I took it to the dealer & the cleaned the IAC sensor & it was ok for about 2 weeks. Took it back & they replaced the maf sensor & it was ok for about 2 weeks again.They sold me some throttle body cleaner & that did real good for a while & then started doing it again. Took it back & they took the throttle body off & cleaned it & it was ok for awhile again then back to the same thing.
When you start it, the rpm's will go to about 2,000 then settle back down to about 650 & then it will start surging sometimes just a couple hundred rpm & sometimes it will go to 1800. It has had all scheduled maint. done since it was new. It's my wifes & she does not hot rod it. Just trying to give as much info as I can to help. What's next to try?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Definitely the TPS. I can't believe the stealership didn't R&R it when they were screwing with the TB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WarrensD said:
Definitely the TPS. I can't believe the stealership didn't R&R it when they were screwing with the TB.
When you say TPS do you mean replace or clean?
Also the dealer in Longview,Wa is pretty much useless.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TPS & Shifting?

I talked to the dealer today & the service dept. said if it was the TPS I would have shifting issues(it shifts fine)although it will sometimes die when shifting to drive when the idle is surging real high. He said "It is not the TPS beacuse the techs. diagnosis did not lead them that way" I asked him what it could be & he keeps saying it is most likely carbon build up.He said if I would authorize an hours time for tear down($81.00) they could tell if the "whole upper end of the motor is carboned up & there for causing the surging idle". I asked him if he meant the tops of the pistons? & he said, yes.(I do not have a lot of dealings with computer controled cars, but can carbon build up on the pistons cause a surging idle?) I told him I am not going to do that just so they can say it is not covered.These guys do not know what to do if it does not give them a code.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hey Race...you a Washington boy?

If it was ME looking at the $81, I'd spend the same dough (but take a different tack):

1) Get yourself some Seafoam, go somewhere no one will call the fire department (you'll get a ton of smoke), and gradually pour it down the TB with the air hat off. After the smoking clears you'll have an answer on the carbon issue. (about $10?)

2) If necessary, get a new TPS ($45-70 & a five minute job). I lived with mine for TWO years, with all of the very typical symptoms, & NEVER threw a code.

3) Not giving the incompetent stealership $81....PRICELESS!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the seafoam.
My wife called the general manager @ the dealership & told him that we have already paid a $100.00 deductable (as per the warranty) & we will not pay for a 2nd diagnosis when they have not fixed the problem yet.To make a long story short I got a call about 5mins later from the service manager.He was very short-to the point & sounding like someone that was very fresh off of an ass chewing from the GM. To quote him "Hi this is ----- from ----- dodge, looks like we are going to cover the $81.00. I have thur or fri what do you want?" I said, I will check with my wife & see what works for her. he said, "thur or fri,click. hung up. Just by his tone he sounded like he was not a very happy man
So it goes in on the 12th. Can't wait to see if it comes back with new TPS.

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
Been having the same problem. Took it to a trusted mechanic today and tol him my problem and the TPS solution. He looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked him to look on the mechanic chat line. He did and was suprised that it was noted there and not with any dealer resources (I don't know WHY he was suprised, must have more confidence in them than I do!). On that site it says to replace the TPS AND clean the terminal on the alternator. Long story short, after a long test drive I am not having this problem anymore. Will keep updated if it returns. Tip: If you are slightly mechanically inclined you can do it yourself by unscrewing the two screws on the TPS...Replacing the TPS (making sure the slot aligns correctly)...and replacing those same screws. Then clean the Alt Terminal (This is on the top, rear of the alt). 5 maybe 10 minutes!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colorado Blue said:
Been having the same problem. Took it to a trusted mechanic today and tol him my problem and the TPS solution. He looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked him to look on the mechanic chat line. He did and was suprised that it was noted there and not with any dealer resources (I don't know WHY he was suprised, must have more confidence in them than I do!). On that site it says to replace the TPS AND clean the terminal on the alternator. Long story short, after a long test drive I am not having this problem anymore. Will keep updated if it returns. Tip: If you are slightly mechanically inclined you can do it yourself by unscrewing the two screws on the TPS...Replacing the TPS (making sure the slot aligns correctly)...and replacing those same screws. Then clean the Alt Terminal (This is on the top, rear of the alt). 5 maybe 10 minutes!
What is the address of this mechanic chat line you are refering to?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hey Race -

Do you ever observe the surging (to a much lesser degree) when on cruise control, or at a very steady speed? I'm talking about just a half second glitch. You might not, if you don't use cruise much...

If you were inclined to take a day or two to go back and read ALL of the TPS threads (I'm NOT...lol), you would find very few people who didn't find miraculous results from R&R'ing this part. It's one of the FEW electrical issues you have to look forward to that's easy to diagnose!

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
it's usally TPS, IAC, Battery or crankshaft sensor. Plan on change'n all em eventually

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WarrensD said:
Hey Race -

Do you ever observe the surging (to a much lesser degree) when on cruise control, or at a very steady speed? I'm talking about just a half second glitch. You might not, if you don't use cruise much...

If you were inclined to take a day or two to go back and read ALL of the TPS threads (I'm NOT...lol), you would find very few people who didn't find miraculous results from R&R'ing this part. It's one of the FEW electrical issues you have to look forward to that's easy to diagnose!
This is my wife's rig, I will have her try to notice surging at freeway speeds.
Also, yes I did a search on surging idle & was surprised at how many returns it got & most all seemed to point to the TPS. That's what I tried to tell the service manager,but what do I know I'm just a customer :D

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
I don't know what the site was but I'll e-mail you my mechanics name and phone number. He'll be able to tell you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Well.. my wife took it to the dealer today & they said the throttle body had not been cleaned.They told me last time I picked it up that they removed the throttle body & cleaned it.Today they are saying that they were sure that I said I was going to remove it & clean it. The service manager said that seeing as how it will run better for a couple of days after they have done each step, that rules out the TPS or any other mechanical item. He said that removing the throttle body & giving a good cleaning should solve it.......... We'll see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not Yet!

Well....... not yet.When she started it up today there it is again, surging idle.Called the dealer & they said bring it back in. I am so tempted to just go buy a TPS put it in & if & when it stops it go drop off the old one at the service counter & say, see? BUT.. the el cheapo side of me says no let them pay for it that's what the warranty is for.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
For $50-70 bucks, it would a) Allow all of us to say "I TOLD you so," and b) Put this issue to BED! Money well spent, in my book...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I give up!

I have had it back to the stealership twice in the last 6 days & all they say is "well we cannot duplicate it" My wife & the tech sat in the parking lot & it surged just a tweence(couple hundred rpm's) first the tech said it's surging because the AC is on,she told him it's not on, what now? he finally admitted it could be the TPS but it needs to do it long enough for the computer to pick up a code cause Dodge will not pay for any warranty work that does not have a fault code. So i have ordered a TPS & will put it on tomorrow.
Now for the dumb question. which one is it? I assume it's one of those in the white box?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Sorry Race, I'm blind & I can't get a zoom on your pix. Just wait until you have the new TPS in hand & replace the mother! Take you five minutes, tops. Be sure you install it with the proper orientation (in the instructions). I hope you give the service manager a great BIG "I told you so."

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
racefan said:
I have had it back to the stealership twice in the last 6 days & all they say is "well we cannot duplicate it" My wife & the tech sat in the parking lot & it surged just a tweence(couple hundred rpm's) first the tech said it's surging because the AC is on,she told him it's not on, what now? he finally admitted it could be the TPS but it needs to do it long enough for the computer to pick up a code cause Dodge will not pay for any warranty work that does not have a fault code. So i have ordered a TPS & will put it on tomorrow.
Now for the dumb question. which one is it? I assume it's one of those in the white box?
It'll be the top one. Ditto on WarrensD's advise. But also make sure that you clean the top rear terminal on your alternator. Not sure what this helps with but it was advised when mine was replaced. Might as well take all precautions and do it correctly.

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
Hey Race - Make sure you Hotsy your engine. It looks pretty dirty and you don't want any debris to get into that TPS. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.