DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently aquired a 1979 dodge 1 ton 4x4 vancharger and it has a 360 w/ a holley 2 barrell its very hard to keep it at idle once i get it running at first it will run and then die, when i take it to town i always have to give it gas even while braking or itll stall very hard to control in traffic and was wondering if any one could lend some expertise thank you

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I would venture to say that it's time for the carburetor to be rebuilt or replaced. Over the course of the years the carb can get gummed up and cause problems.

·
vanner
519 Posts
If its a carter carb I have brand new- not rebuilt that I put on my van years ago when I did an engine overhaul, it was on for about a month then taken off to upgrade to a 4 barrell, make me an off and its yours.

I just went back and re-read your post, u said Holley, well if u want a carter let let me know.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Dan, is the Carter from a 318?

I ask because a 2bbl. carburetor from a 318 won't fit the 2bbl. manifold on a 360. Larger bore and bolt pattern.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You probably wouldn't want to convert to the Carter (if it's one from a 318). It's a smaller carb. and would starve the 360.

BTW, what kind of shape are the plugs, wires, cap/rotor? These can cause problems if they are worn out.

·
vanner
519 Posts
Yes it was from a 318, 1979. new in box, was only on for about a month or so.

When I overhauled the eng I went with an RV cam, the carb was too small, I upgraded to a 4 barrel Holley.

If u know of anyone who needs one have them make me an offer.

It was not a rebuilt one, it was brand new when I bought it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
motor condition

i just replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter,changed the oil, all the fluids, and a brand new dual exhaust,and it still wont idle right.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
79vancharger1 said:
i just replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter,changed the oil, all the fluids, and a brand new dual exhaust,and it still wont idle right.

Yep...go with a reman. carb. or rebuild it yourself.

I ran into a similar problem on my '85. Wouldn't idle worth a crap, I did a complete tune-up and installed a new carb. Runs great now. :)

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
Have you played with the ICS on the Holley?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Idle Control Solenoid...it's what controls the idle. Not sure if they had them in '79. The Holley 1945 on my slant six has one, but it's on an '85 van.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have an idle enrichment valve on the carb, is that the same thing? i am contemplating buying a new or rebuilt carb any idea on the best place to get one?i live in putnam ct.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Don't know the answer on that first question.

Check Advance Auto, Autozone, PepBoys, etc. I shop whoever has the best prices.

You can check out www.rockauto.com as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im sure the auto parts store would love to sell you a carb, but Im sure you'd love to save $150 too, if you can get this one running better...

What is the idle RPM set to? Does it run better if you crank it up a little?

Is the choke opening fully, or is it partially shut?

What is the idle Mixture set to? How many turns out are the mixture set screws? Set them at 2 turns out and see how it runs, if its better, play with it a bit. If its worse, put it back to where it was.

Vacuum leaks? Check the hoses and the diaphrams on the carb. I had a vacuum leak that came from the choke diaphragm.

Is the float adjusted properly? If the float is letting in too much or too little fuel, it wont meter right at all.

While your'e in there checking that, spend $3 on a can of carb cleaner. Flush out the jets, and all the little passages too. Even a small amount of crap in the passages can really throw off how it runs. The idle system is sensitive to obstructions like that because of how little air is flowing through the carb.

How about the ignition timing? Set it back to factory specs, might help a bit.

Just some suggestions...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you brown79 im new to playing with the carb settings im a body guy by nature i know enough under the hood to get by but i dont know specifics of the carb ive played with it and some times the chokes open and it doesnt shut all the way and the mixture stuff i dont realy know but ive cleaned and a friend said the floats might be sinking so i dont know yes id love to save 150.00 but i almost dont know where to begin thanks again when i figure how to post pics i will post some of my van and the carb

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want I can post the adjustments and settings for your carb. I have a sheet that came with my rebuild kit, has everything on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.